GC - July 3 - Canada vs Jamaica (R)

loyola

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Man, I can NOT wait to watch this game!

ps-does the Guatemala friendly count as FIFA points?

- We had 7 subs (one more than the regular amount for a friendly).

- We didn't seem to get credited with points here: http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=can/ranking/gender=m/index.html.

- There are reports from Guatemalan press that it wasn't an A friendly (I don't have a source).

So I'm guessing no... [B)]

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

A very different view of the game and at times funny to read.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090704/sports/sports1.html

What game was this guy watching!?

"Jamaica and Canada played a cat and mouse game practically all the way through the first half against some questionable officiating.

The Reggae Boyz were very patient in possession, moving the ball carefully as they changed angles that suited high-percentage passing.

On the occasions that they were daring, they were dangerous and scythed open a Canadian team that was very susceptible to dribbling..."

"Canada, who had less possession(in the first half), were more circumspect and put a large number of its players behind the ball when defending..."

"Michael Klukowski hit a seemingly harmless cross from midway the left flank and Gerba - who hit two goals in Canada's 3-0 warm-up victory over Guatemala on Tuesday - broke free beyond Davis to hit a one-time shot across goal, that lodged inside the net at the far post."

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Great stuff Max, that's some of the best Canadian soccer coverage I've seen to date!

For anyone wanting to know a bit more about Stephen Hart, I would highly recommend listening closely to the Will Johnson interview. Unlike DeGuzman, Johnson wasn't involved in qualifying and I think that allows him to make a fairly impartial assessment of the gaffer that I for one find very interesting.

I echo the last post, great stuff to actually get news of the NT form a Canadian point of view. Great work guys! Has the CSA approached you with a check? Because this is great exposure of the NT, the best I've ever had since I started following them many, many, many moons ago.

Keep it up!

Is there any way that you guys could start selling your work as freelance to Canadian sports stations? I suppose that insinuates there being a demand for it, but still, it is excellent work, and could be a start towards getting more coverage of our Nats to a greater percentage of our population.

Not enough credit to McKenna. Solid veteran was outstanding in reading the play. He is always going to be caught now and then as he is not a race horse. But his savvy is unbelievable. I hope Jakovic spends every available moment downloading McKenna's pro survival tips. Fing twat Mitchell couldn't start Canada's wiliest player.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Not enough credit to McKenna. Solid veteran was outstanding in reading the play. He is always going to be caught now and then as he is not a race horse. But his savvy is unbelievable. I hope Jakovic spends every available moment downloading McKenna's pro survival tips. Fing twat Mitchell couldn't start Canada's wiliest player.

He got some pretty solid praise from the Winnipeg Vs on Friday (and I wasn't even the one who instigated it). I thought he had a very good match. Whether or not he and Jakovic are a partnership in training I don't know just yet, but could be. Jakovic looks physically capable and full of brains and sound judgment so the two may be able to predict each other to some effect.

What did Hart say about Big Kev? He's going to be a leader. With or without the captains arm band make no mistake, McKenna will be a leader for this team on the field.

I love McKenna like a brother. He's been a damned good centreback for a long time, but he's not the most athletic guy. He was, in my opinion, exposed a bit against Jamaica and it could be a lot worse for him against speedy El Salvador. We'll see.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

I love McKenna like a brother. He's been a damned good centreback for a long time, but he's not the most athletic guy. He was, in my opinion, exposed a bit against Jamaica and it could be a lot worse for him against speedy El Salvador. We'll see.

I agree...

Archived