MODERATOR SELECTION

Cheeta

I could be wrong, but I feel that we've entered an era of self-moderation that seems to be working fine. I may have a false sense of peace and love on the board based on my own recent effort not to enter pissing contests, but I think overall things have been pretty good of late.

Cheeta and Bettermirror have been doing this job for a long time and we all understand if either of you want to give it up. If we need replacements in title, then let's nominate some people and see if anyone out there will accept.

I nominate loyola, Gian-Luca, VPjr, Winnipeg Fury, jpg75, redhat, jonovision, and BearcatSA.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I could be wrong, but I feel that we've entered an era of self-moderation that seems to be working fine. I may have a false sense of peace and love on the board based on my own recent effort not to enter pissing contests, but I think overall things have been pretty good of late.

I mostly agree, but when it comes around WCQ time (or maybe even gold cup, who knows?) there's plenty of idiots who want to do nothing but come and troll.

I have no problem with someone sharing their opinion in a normal way (if they don't support Canada) but if you make some extremely dumb posts, well the trash needs to be taken out more often around here.

^Yes. If it isn't clear, I'm the one stepping down. No one is getting throw to the wolves here. I'll remain on in an admin capacity in the mean time so I'll still be around looking over shoulders or helping out if needed. (At least until the new site is up at which point I suppose we'll have to look at who will play what sort of role).

No techincal expertise is necessary to moderate. Just a thick skin, fairly level head and the abilitity (and the patience) to drop in on the website fairly frequently to make sure all Hell isn't breaking loose.

I think we'd all like to see 3 or 4 moderators joining bettermirror. More view points allow for, well, more view points. It never hurts to have another objective set of eyes looking at any situation. Particularly when those other sets of eyes have responsibility attached to their opinions.

The only caution I'd like to forward is that moderating is a collective venture. A team as it were. This new group of moderators will have to decide on their guidelines and as best as circumstance allows, try to moderate along those lines. No one is looking for robots, just a fair amount of predictibility from each of the moderators. (Ha! Yeah, good luck with that).

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

^ 10 seconds before reading your post i was posting an insult about "Mr. Impact's" mother [}:)]

You guys still sure you want me? :D

I would be quite happy with anyone who would ban that troll who brings nothing useful to this forum.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I would be quite happy with anyone who would ban that troll who brings nothing useful to this forum.

My first order of business will be to ban him. I'll be tougher than a Southern Sheriff. [8D]

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

However, I feel like we still need a "left wing" / more liberal type of moderator to balance out the others and replace Cheeta's style. Anyone?

hahaha, I read this and thought of me, unfortunatley as we all know I'm a little too sensitive (when someone posts something rash with some offensive wording I can't grip my head around the fact that they failed to think before they talked(typed) and magically have a chip on my shoulder)

But I think brennanfan makes a very good point that someone a little too PC should be a moderator because if little slurs and stuff slid too much, they get worse, and then next thing you know you feel embarressed that the board looks like moronic hicks and is exclusive not inclusive. not that they should go around editing peoples wording but when something terrible gets said I do wish it wasn't sitting there for all time reflecting poorly on us. (i'm really not trying to start anything here or call anyone out, but I don't think I'm alone in wanting to keep non soccer agendas at the very least in general discussion not spilling out in cheap shots mixed with normal points.

(I may be thinking a little highly of myself but I hope my off topicness has at least been :Dreactionary:D or at worst when I do something like compare basketball and soccer, actually once I think I connected something to my problems with 'the athiest state' which was probably way off topic, It kinda made a bit of sense in context but I got carried away) sorry for all the reading.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Im ok with themodelcitizen, and I think Loyola would be ok too.

However, I feel like we still need a "left wing" / more liberal type of moderator to balance out the others and replace Cheeta's style. Anyone?

Well my dad is a self proclaimed Marxist, so I guess I have the pedigree! :D

Oh. And by the way, THANK YOU to everyone who's offered opinions, advice, or generally entertaining smart-ass comments both publicly and privately. We're pretty much done with this scheme for now, and I have to say I think it went rather well. The true test will be made shortly when the new mods are introduced (meaning if somebody has to make some sort of protest about each and every one of them then I think we've got the right crew).

That's not to say mod selection/function/etc is a closed topic. Lord knows it never will be. Suggestions, comments (volunteers) are always welcomed so, carry on.

With a little luck the lads will be on-the-job (informally at least) before the Gold Cup. Yes, all males again although I think I've accused at least one of them of being "A Nancy" once. I believe he retaliated by purchasing me a pint of Keith's and a plate of hot-wings.

Would rather had a Newcastle.

Archived