CSA nominees for 2008 players of the year

jonovision

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3456

13 December 2008

Voting for CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choices

Soccer fans across the country are asked to vote for their favourite Canadian players in the 2008 CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choices poll. Voting begins today and runs through 20 January 2008. Fans are asked to vote for one male player and one female player.

Fans can select any Canadian player. The list of senior nominees is the same as the list for the 2008 adidas Canadian Players of the Year award. Unlike the player of the year vote (based on performance, voted by coaches and media), the CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choices is based on popularity. Each fan can make one male selection and one female selection.

Fans can email their Fans’ Choices to rscott@soccercan.ca with the title ’CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choices’ in the subject line.

Male Nominees from the Men’s national team / Nominés de l’équipe nationale masculine senior

- Julian de Guzman – Scarborough, ON

- Dwayne De Rosario – Scarborough, ON

- Rob Friend – Rosetown, SK

- Ali Gerba – Montréal, QC

- Atiba Hutchinson – North York, ON

- Michael Klukowski – Oshawa, ON

- Paul Stalteri – Etobicoke, ON

- Tomasz Radzinski – Toronto, ON

- Adrian Serioux – Scarborough, ON

- other selection

Female Nominees from the Winners – Women’s national team – presented by Teck / Nominées de l’équipe feminine Winners, présentée par Teck

- Candace Chapman – Ajax, ON

- Martina Franko – Squamish, BC

- Kara Lang – Oakville, ON

- Diana Matheson – Oakville, ON

- Erin McLeod – Edmonton, AB

- Sophie Schmidt – Abbotsford, BC

- Christine Sinclair – Burnaby, BC

- Melissa Tancredi – Ancaster, ON

- Rhian Wilkinson – Baie d’Urfe, QC

- other selection

This is the article for Fan's Choice. The same set of nominees (plus some youth categories) is included in a rundown for the award voted on my coaches and media.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3455

Or, a blogger's summary of the candidates

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I gotta go with Friend. He didn't do too much in WCQ, but I blame that squarely on Mitchell. His contribution to BMG's promotion would be my main argument. He's also potted 5 to date in the Bundesliga.

That's true, but Radzinski was top 5 in scoring in the Greek Super League with Xanthi (and has continued in Belgium) , and rocked for Canada.

Gerba was a goal scoring machine for Canada and has done well in England.

Friend did great for his club, but did not produce for Canada. Whether Mitchell played him in a different formation, it's tough to say whether he would have had the impact of either Rad or Gerba.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

That's true, but Radzinski was top 5 in scoring in the Greek Super League with Xanthi (and has continued in Belgium) , and rocked for Canada.

Gerba was a goal scoring machine for Canada and has done well in England.

Friend did great for his club, but did not produce for Canada. Whether Mitchell played him in a different formation, it's tough to say whether he would have had the impact of either Rad or Gerba.

Alright, I just convinced myself, I'm going with Radzinski.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Ummm? Its obviously De Guzman.

The guy was up for Canadian athlete of the year

Scored two goals, was our best player for the majority of games. Won best player for his team.

All true, but I don't think he was as important for Canada as was Radzinski. When Radzinski left the field for Canada against Honduras in Montreal, we lacked spark. Even Mitchell has stated he was our key player. We saw it again in Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

All true, but I don't think he was as important for Canada as was Radzinski. When Radzinski left the field for Canada against Honduras in Montreal, we lacked spark. Even Mitchell has stated he was our key player. We saw it again in Edmonton.

Think I'm going to go with Radz to this year. By a nose. When he played in this WC cycle he always stood out and that's more than I can say for any other Canadian who took the field.

Don't know how it looked on the TV but against Mexico in Edmonton he was an absolute terror and MotM in my opinion.

Great year in Greece, but playing in the Belgian 2nd tier right now would really hurt the argument for PoY if he wasn't lighting up the score sheet.

After The Guz & Radz it's just as hard to pick a third place candidate. Friend? Ali G? DeRo? I don't know. Balancing club performance against NT performance makes it tough.

Stay tuned, the V's International Player of the Year will launch next weekend.

I think that in choosing a Canadian player of the year the "Canadian" component has to play a significant role especially in a WCQ year. If club achievements were the only critieria I would have JDG and Friend as first and second but poor national team play takes them out of consideration. My list would be:

1. Radzinski

2. Klukowski

3. Serioux

4. Gerba

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think that in choosing a Canadian player of the year the "Canadian" component has to play a significant role especially in a WCQ year. If club achievements were the only critieria I would have JDG and Friend as first and second but poor national team play takes them out of consideration. My list would be:

1. Radzinski

2. Klukowski

3. Serioux

4. Gerba

JDG despite a couple poor performances was still our best player for the national team most games. Think back to vs. Estonia, Brazil, Jamaica game he just ran the show.

Radzinski was poor at times also though, think vs. Jamaica

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

JDG despite a couple poor performances was still our best player for the national team most games. Think back to vs. Estonia, Brazil, Jamaica game he just ran the show.

Radzinski was poor at times also though, think vs. Jamaica

Yes but two of those games were meaningless friendlies and he sucked in every other WCQ game other than the Jamaica one.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian, Radz, Friend in that order for me.

Although if I am not mistaken the only top player to have won anything was Atiba, Danish league. Any others? Did Klukowski win the Belgian Cup maybe? Lean year for our men.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

We should recognize him as this would likely be his last year in the MNT.

Yea that was part of my thinking as well. I had a tough time of it with so many having good club years but Radz vs Gerba was what it came down to and I went with Radz.

JDG, DeRo, Friend, Serioux & Klukowski were all making the choice tough as hell.

Archived