Gerry's blog... a stunning call-up

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not forget we'll likely see a 22 players roster. Harmse might be call becasue of DeRo suspension, Imhoff injury and maybe someone else is injured. I hope De Jong is called instead of Brennan.

BTW, I don't rate Harmse at all, just trying to figure out why he's there.

We can't defend on the counter attack - so we decide our best option is to leave a defender with pace at home, because our only centre back with pace is suspended. Wow! Mitchell has truly reached new heights with this call.

Harmse is by no means done or right out of the mix, I'd agree he's no starter yet and we could probably all think of combination's to keep him from even being a sub, but despite a temper problem and obvious inconsistency, he's inconsistently also put up some impressive performances (from both a tactical and technical point of view but very often all to brief).

He's still a few years away from being dropped, and still far more useful then alot of youths (just cause you know for a fact he's capable of doing something spectacular the odd time wereas young guys are still big question marks.

Wow. Is Jimmy missing a leg or something? Maybe Harmse is just coming to pump up the practice balls or something. No offence intended to Harmse but this isn't exactly the kind of shakeup thats going to change our fate. Rather Mitchell brought up a youth player if he's in a grasping at straws kinda mood

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I'd rather see Mitchell call Grande than Harmse.

Well, I've just finished getting off the floor after collapsing from a seizure induced by reading this stuff about Harmse's possible callup. The guy has techincal skills which, to put it politely, are too limited for the international level. He can't pass. He has trouble controlling passes when under even moderate opposition pressure. There has been nothing shown in his play this year (even his best performances) that warrants a callup.

Grande, on the other hand, definitely is in the running for a call up for this "do or die" match because of his skill set. The team needs a guy who can play that deep lying midfield passer-role in front of the back four, a position of which is a few fathoms out of Harmse's depth.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I'd rather see Mitchell call Grande than Harmse.

I totally agree. Grande would be an ideal choice. However, he simply might not be interested considering that a) Impact have a very congested fixture schedule and B) why risk injury when Canada has such an incredibly slim chance of qualifying. the CSA has not really gone out of their way to bring Grande in before and now might not be the right time for him.

I don't know this for a stone cold fact but it would not surprise me if the decision to leave Brennan home has something to do with a "personality conflict" between DM and certain players.

Has Brennan done anything useful for Canada over the last two years to warrant being an automatic call-up? I agree that the Harmse selection is pretty indefensible, but Brennan isn't in my first 22 either.

If I was going to call up an under-the-radar MLS midfield, it would be Will Johnson.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Has Brennan done anything useful for Canada over the last two years to warrant being an automatic call-up? I agree that the Harmse selection is pretty indefensible, but Brennan isn't in my first 22 either.

Brennan has had a couple good games in the last 2 years. Costa Rica at BMO springs to mind (everyone seemed to play well that game, if we could have played like that I think we would be doing much better).

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

the CSA has not really gone out of their way to bring Grande in before and now might not be the right time for him.

Well, the last time I saw him play was Hart's home match vs Jamaica. He didn't start (Stalteri was played as a central midfielder instead) and when he came on he didn't impress, in fact IIRC being replaced by Nash for the away leg of the series. Maybe he was playing hurt at that time, I don't know. But then he struggled through long term injury until this year. So based on those events I don't think most managers would have gone out of their way to bring him back into the fold.

But that's the past...this is now. He's an in-form player who is an important member of a team currently on a great run of form.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

the CSA has not really gone out of their way to bring Grande in before and now might not be the right time for him.

Well, the last time I saw him play was Hart's home match vs Jamaica. He didn't start (Stalteri was played as a central midfielder instead) and when he came on he didn't impress, in fact IIRC being replaced by Nash for the away leg of the series. Maybe he was playing hurt at that time, I don't know. But then he struggled through long term injury until this year. So based on those events I don't think most managers would have gone out of their way to bring him back into the fold.

But that's the past...this is now. He's an in-form player who is an important member of a team currently on a great run of form.

Does Mitchell know anything about the game? Me thinks not!

But to play devil's advocate... maybe Brennan wasn't called b/c of a request for him to stay with TFC to focus on a playoff run as TFC aren't mathematically eliminated yet. Or maybe even b/c he's boycotting, maybe he's just fed up with all of Mitchell's shiet!

you have to be effing kidding me - reda and clarke for the game after, i suppose

i agree that grande has done plenty to deserve a place in line ahead of the likes of harmse - jesus just saying the name in the same sentence with WCQ really ticks me off

to be fair, mitchell (or the puppeteers with their hands up his backside) have called-up the most sensible rosters that i think i can remember over the ten plus years that i have been religiously following this sob story - but still, why turn this into a circus instead of calling in a young blood in his place and lay claim to being the first coach to cap (or start) "Player X"

Archived