Gerry's blog... a stunning call-up

^ I feel the same as you on that one Ed! We have to give him some time, or at least have him on the roster for cover, I think Diesels better days are long behind him, he could get carded and suspended in Honduras, then what? From what I've seen of Nik Ledgerwood, he has been solid!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, I don't rate Harmse at all but maybe somebody else is injured?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Let's not forget we'll likely see a 22 players roster. Harmse might be call becasue of DeRo suspension, Imhoff injury and maybe someone else is injured. I hope De Jong is called instead of Brennan.

BTW, I don't rate Harmse at all, just trying to figure out why he's there.

^ Curtis. Is your email up to date on the profile? Sent you a couple of notes over the last few months. If you use my profile to send me an email, I'll catch you up. If you are too busy and are ignoring me, that's fine too! :)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Jakovic is another option for cover at RB or CB.

Not to ruin anyone's parade but from a friend of mine who follows Red star quite closely, he's not been in great form (to say the least, i won't go into the other details, needless to say they weren't very complementary). It's been an opinion that was echoed in the press over there.

I also think Harmse's midfield "destroyer" type skills, apart from taking fouls, are overrated. He struggles against pacier attacking midfielders where doesn't have the quickness to close down their space. He probably has good straight line speed over a longer distance and that's what deceives people.

His biggest strength is that he's good at following a coach's directions: if Yallop wanted him to maintain his position in front of the Galaxy back four and not stray from there, you know that he won't free-lance. And he's probably a good guy if you are up a couple of goals and need to plug up the middle of the pitch because he's proven adeptness at sticking a leg out and intercepting a pass or two.

In all honesty, he looks like he should be a world beater: good physique, probably plays like a superstar in practice, etc. Yet, he always seems to flatter to deceive come match day. And even Yallop, the man who gave him his big break in MLS, didn't bother trying to pick Harmse up after he was let go by the Galaxy, for what it's worth.

Surely there are better options?

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Carver has been furious with Mitchell all year over Brennan and Sutton constantly being called just to rot on the bench while TFC is left to struggle. This may be his way of throwing Carver a bone seeing as Brennan and Sutton won't be playing anyway.

I would hate for that to be the reason they weren't picked though.

Here's Mitchell's explanation for Jimmy's exclusion.

quote:"Mike Klukowski for me has been one of our better players, if not our best player over the three games," Mitchell said. "For those guys (Brennan and Jazic), they've got matches with their teams and I felt it was better they stayed with their teams and played -- rather than come away for 10 days and maybe be not be involved as much as they would like with us."

http://sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/10/03/canada_world_cup_qualifying/

Of note in that article is that Sutton actually declined the call-up for family reasons (understandable if he wasn't going to play & his wife has only recently given birth to a baby), so that's at least one puzzling "decision" explained.

Kind of sad to read those comments about Onstad.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Of note in that article is that Sutton actually declined the call-up for family reasons (understandable if he wasn't going to play & his wife has only recently given birth to a baby), so that's at least one puzzling "decision" explained.

Kind of sad to read those comments about Onstad.

Am I reading right, Onstad received negative comments from people around the country?

The TFC fans were abusing Onstad big time last weekend over the Jamaica goal. He got so upset after a while that he gestured back at the fans. The singing was loud and audible on the broadcast and went on for a while. I'm not surprised if this was the final straw. I feel awful for him cuz he's a stand up guy who's always answered the call no matter what the circumstances and took full responsibility for the blunder.

Still kind of messed up, the guy is coming home to play in Canada and probably looks forward to it and for a bunch of idiotic TFC fans to do that is pretty miserable IMO. Do you think that would ever happen to Steve Nash when he comes to play the Raptors. I feel really really bad for Onstad, the guy has always answered the call, sure he has had some mishaps but I'm sure it eats the guy up no need to needle him for that in his own home country of all places.

I like Kevin Harmse he brings total commitment and tries to get stuck in and hurts people without really meaning to, reminds me of myself.

What's that term when a word is defined by the sound it makes? like fizz and pop and swoosh?

Kevin Harmse.

quote:Originally posted by villus

Still kind of messed up, the guy is coming home to play in Canada and probably looks forward to it and for a bunch of idiotic TFC fans to do that is pretty miserable IMO. Do you think that would ever happen to Steve Nash when he comes to play the Raptors. I feel really really bad for Onstad, the guy has always answered the call, sure he has had some mishaps but I'm sure it eats the guy up no need to needle him for that in his own home country of all places.

Seconded.

He is a professional and he should deal with it. For him to take it personally is a joke. No matter where you go in the world, this kind of thing happens. He isn't wearing the national team kit, so understandably, he was abused by the TFC fans.

Why would the TFC fans not do whatever it takes to get into the head of an opposition goalkeeper? They didn't cross any line by abusing his family or threatening his child's life, so to me there is no issue (or there shouldn't be one anyways).

I don't know maybe people view it that way buy we are talking about a Canadian who has started in MLS for a few years nnow and has always been classy. He is one of our own, and TFC fans are supposed to be Canada fans. Its just a douchebag move, to heckle Onstad of all people like that, I mean there are only so many Canadians in MLS why should we alienate them, its clear TFC is'nt joining in on the Canadian soccer movement.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

He is a professional and he should deal with it. For him to take it personally is a joke.

I would say his reaction should tell you how gutted he still is by that goal.

Forty year old man with a wardrobe full of MNT caps who has been through Hell and High Water over his 20+ year professional career and the yobs in the south stands got up his nose.

Pretty much says it all for me. Poor bastard.

I don't know maybe people view it that way buy we are talking about a Canadian who has started in MLS for a few years nnow and has always been classy. He is one of our own, and TFC fans are supposed to be Canada fans. Its just a douchebag move, to heckle Onstad of all people like that, I mean there are only so many Canadians in MLS why should we alienate them, its clear TFC is'nt joining in on the Canadian soccer movement.

TFC don't have to be Canadian MNT fans. End of story.

Think of Arsenal and Liverpool fans back in the day heckling Beckham after a bad England start. They were absolutely venemous at times.

If the MLS is ever going to become a "real" league, it has got to have "real" fans, and the TFC hardcore following are as real as they come in North America. What did the Onstad sympathizers want to see, a pennant presentation at half-time, and a smattering of polite golf applause?

Seriously...

Wasn't MLS supposed to be good for Canada? Brennan and Sutton would rather not even turn out, Onstad cost us two points and DeRo should not even have shown up for all the effect he's had in these first three games.

All I can cheer for now is that Harmse gives these Hondurans something to cry about. A broken ankle is as good as a goal Kevin.

Stay out of Harmse way if you don't want to get hurt!:(

Do you think that would ever happen to Steve Nash when he comes to play the Raptors.

I remember Bobby Orr getting booed a lot when he played for the Bruins at Maple Leaf Gardens in the first half of the 70s, and he was an Ontario boy, so there's the other side of the coin.

quote:Originally posted by gator

I'm the last guy around here to defend Mitchell, but GL and MikeD make god points about his possible role with the team! He could be used in that destroyer role, to mark Guevarra, or whomever!

snip

I was actually kidding about Harmse marking Guevarra. I don't think Harmse can handle him. IMO, His value to the MNT is purely as a depth player.

Archived