Gerry's blog... a stunning call-up

quote:Originally posted by nolando

TFC don't have to be Canadian MNT fans. End of story.

If the MLS is ever going to become a "real" league, it has got to have "real" fans, and the TFC hardcore following are as real as they come in North America. What did the Onstad sympathizers want to see, a pennant presentation at half-time, and a smattering of polite golf applause?

Seriously...

The fans who did that were first class aholes. Seriously.

BTW when did Harmse become Vs Whipping Boy #1. I seemed to have missed that. Was it the one time he took out baby Becks (or was that Serioux)? I remember him as a kid at the WYC who had some potential and now he seems to be the new Mark Watson who can do no right. What happened?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nolando

TFC don't have to be Canadian MNT fans. End of story.

Think of Arsenal and Liverpool fans back in the day heckling Beckham after a bad England start. They were absolutely venemous at times.

If the MLS is ever going to become a "real" league, it has got to have "real" fans, and the TFC hardcore following are as real as they come in North America. What did the Onstad sympathizers want to see, a pennant presentation at half-time, and a smattering of polite golf applause?

Seriously...

So you 'aspire' to having the fans acting like drunken English louts to prove they've reached the top? Visiting national team players are not treated with disdain at all opposing parks. Some fans have class.

Ok but we are talking about a standup guy here, I can understand going after guys but I have not heard a negative word towards this guy (I admit though that I don't follow his career to great lengths) but this is the only Canadian PRO team so the only time he plays in Canada. Also the Bobby Orr comparison holds no water because half the NHL at that time if not more were Canadian.

You expect this kind of thing from a player in his teens/early 20's, not someone who has played professional sports for as long as Onstad has.

For the 90 minutes on the pitch, Onstad wasn't a Canadian National team player, he was an FC Dallas player. I have no problem with a little taunting to get another player off of his game, as long it does not cross the line, which this didn't.

All athletes screw up. You deal with it, and move on.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

You expect this kind of thing from a player in his teens/early 20's, not someone who has played professional sports for as long as Onstad has.

For the 90 minutes on the pitch, Onstad wasn't a Canadian National team player, he was an FC Dallas player.

That must have pissed Houston off no end! ;)

FWIW, I was behind the goal in distance of Onstad hearing my shouts, and didn't say a negative word to him. Last year he got a lot of ribbing behind the goal about his age & actually laughed with the fans who were singing "you're so old it's unbelievable", even played it up by pretending to have a bad back as he went to collect a ball.

There wasn't any of that this time round, though some of the taunts were related to knocking the ball into his own net, which I think shows how much that mistake he made bothers him. And that's not the only area he would have heard about it - everytime that game has been mentioned in the media & the press they've put the goat-horns on him, and he probably know that.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That must have pissed Houston off no end! ;)

FWIW, I was behind the goal in distance of Onstad hearing my shouts, and didn't say a negative word to him. Last year he got a lot of ribbing behind the goal about his age & actually laughed with the fans who were singing "you're so old it's unbelievable", even played it up by pretending to have a bad back as he went to collect a ball.

There wasn't any of that this time round, though some of the taunts were related to knocking the ball into his own net, which I think shows how much that mistake he made bothers him. And that's not the only area he would have heard about it - everytime that game has been mentioned in the media & the press they've put the goat-horns on him, and he probably know that.

haha no doubt!

My point is more to say that he screwed up and he should hate it, it should have gutted him, but he should be able to move on and not let a group of drunken fans get to him so easily. If it was a MNT game that this happened at, it would be a different thing altogether. But it wasn't, it was an MLS game where he suited up and played for the visiting team.

OK we have a keeper problem. most people here would agree that LArs is our best bet. But is there any info on the backup keeper

#18 Joshua Wagenaar from Grimsby, Ont he plays in England for Yeovil Town FC

other than he is 23 yrs of age, stands just over 6 foot and speaks a bit of dutch. (go figure for somebody from Grimsby) I don't see a lot of Wins under his belt????

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3358

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

But is there any info on the backup keeper

#18 Joshua Wagenaar from Grimsby, Ont he plays in England for Yeovil Town FC

other than he is 23 yrs of age, stands just over 6 foot and speaks a bit of dutch. (go figure for somebody from Grimsby) I don't see a lot of Wins under his belt????

Wagenaar: Canada's keeper for the U20 squad for Holland 2005.

Let in a goal (huge miscue) in the first match against Syria,

ending in a 1-1 draw. I thought he really redeemed himself

in the U23 Olympic Qualifier this year, with victories against

Mexico and Guatemala. Could have been TFC's (backup?) keeper,

but a deal couldn't be worked out. Played for ADO Den Haag

in Holland and Lyngby BK in Denmark (First Division). Always

answered the call for Canada, even as backup or third keeper.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

BTW when did Harmse become Vs Whipping Boy #1. I seemed to have missed that. Was it the one time he took out baby Becks (or was that Serioux)? I remember him as a kid at the WYC who had some potential and now he seems to be the new Mark Watson who can do no right. What happened?

Maybe he looked like he had some potential at youth level but that has not translated into the professional level. He's a very limited player on the technical side of the ledger. And maybe that's why I find him frustrating because he looks like he should be a world beater.

Harmse is far from being the Vs Number #1 whipping boy because he hasn't featured in an MNT match since the Haiti Gold Cup game. Guys who stand out more as whipping boys are players like Hastings, and based on his current MNT form his play and inclusion in the starting XI warrants serious questioning.

quote:Originally posted by villus

Ok but we are talking about a standup guy here, I can understand going after guys but I have not heard a negative word towards this guy (I admit though that I don't follow his career to great lengths) but this is the only Canadian PRO team so the only time he plays in Canada. Also the Bobby Orr comparison holds no water because half the NHL at that time if not more were Canadian.

Just to confirm, has Steve Nash played a match against the Raptors in Toronto and what was the fan reaction?

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Just to confirm, has Steve Nash played a match against the Raptors in Toronto and what was the fan reaction?

I saw Steve Nash play the Raptors in person several years back --- I think it was his last year in Dallas. The reception was polite applause (no booing, but no standing ovation either). This was around the time he started to play less frequently with the Cdn national team.

quote:Originally posted by villus

I don't know maybe people view it that way buy we are talking about a Canadian who has started in MLS for a few years nnow and has always been classy. He is one of our own, and TFC fans are supposed to be Canada fans. Its just a douchebag move, to heckle Onstad of all people like that, I mean there are only so many Canadians in MLS why should we alienate them, its clear TFC is'nt joining in on the Canadian soccer movement.

Oh Really? Then next time TFC goes to play in Saputo and/or Swangard, I will expect the southsiders and mtl ultras to treat Greg Sutton with the utmost politeness, simply because he is on the MNT. Whatever.

TFC fans don't hate Pat Onstad. We cheered him when he subbed into the All Star game at BMO this year. He had an opposing kit on, and got a ribbing just like any other keeper.

Edit: I should add that I am one of the few guys who did not blame him entirely for that Jamaica goal.

"best chance to win is to unshackle those players and let them do what they do best"

Let me be honest with all of you, I only watch the CMNT because they play the game I love to play the way i love to play it, which is with a whole lot of heart and fight and honour and integrity. If that means we get suckered into fouls now and then and the ref doesn't like our overzealous tackles and our enthusiastic agression then that's ok with me as long as these boys show they still have some spirit. These first three games have been mostly gutless and I'm tired of all this talk about flair play and control the midfield and passession football. That's rubbish, we're Canadians, we get stuck in and we fight for the ball and we play a simple direct game.

That's what we do best, that's what we should focus on doing.

Kevin Harmse for Canada!

quote:Originally posted by canso

"Onomatopoeia"

Ooooh look at the big brain in the 'Peg!

"Onomatopoeia" is a term describing a word that sounds like it is

described.

Example: Rob Friend "crunches</u>" his poor Honduran defender, while scoring a goal for Canada in the 34th minute.

How's that Canso? ;)

"best chance to win is to unshackle those players and let them do what they do best"

Let me be honest with all of you, I only watch the CMNT because they play the game I love to play the way i love to play it, which is with a whole lot of heart and fight and honour and integrity. If that means we get suckered into fouls now and then and the ref doesn't like our overzealous tackles and our enthusiastic agression then that's ok with me as long as these boys show they still have some spirit. These first three games have been mostly gutless and I'm tired of all this talk about flair play and control the midfield and passession football. That's rubbish, we're Canadians, we get stuck in and we fight for the ball and we play a simple direct game.

Kevin Harmse for Canada!

Kick and run ftw!!

Just a stab in the dark here but I don't think the style you are describing has gotten us very far over the last few decades.

Kevin Harmse for Canada!

Kick and run ftw!!

Just a stab in the dark here but I don't think the style you are describing has gotten us very far over the last few decades.

^ Missed it. As well as the one where they boo'd Onstad. Maybe in a few years I'll look at that act as class I tell ya, pure class. Just like the Liverpool whatever fans telling Beckam how Posh enjoys it. Man, we have a lot of growing up to do to become real supporters.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ Missed it. As well as the one where they boo'd Onstad. Maybe in a few years I'll look at that act as class I tell ya, pure class. Just like the Liverpool whatever fans telling Beckam how Posh enjoys it. Man, we have a lot of growing up to do to become real supporters.

Nah, no one booed Onstad. We heckled him. There's a huge difference.

And some of the people leading the heckling are some of the biggest Canadian national team supporters you'll ever meet. No apologies, this is club football, not a group therapy session.

As Big Daddy K put it, why are we required to cheer opposing club players simply because they are also Canadian national teamers? I'm sure if MTL meets Houston in the CCL, they'll roll out the red carpet for Pat and Dwayne. Get real.

You know Rudi, I don't have THAT much of a problem with heckling. I got set off by the statement that we Cdn fans had a lot of learning to do before we became true fans like the English club fans who heckled Beckham. Also, as to the actual TFC heckling, I guess I would not bring up any Cdn WC qualifying gaffe as a 'good one' to use.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You know Rudi, I don't have THAT much of a problem with heckling. I got set off by the statement that we Cdn fans had a lot of learning to do before we became true fans like the English club fans who heckled Beckham. Also, as to the actual TFC heckling, I guess I would not bring up any Cdn WC qualifying gaffe as a 'good one' to use.

I see your point about the "true fans" comment. Fair point.

But with regards to the heckling, you have to remember that that was Pat's first return to BMO Field after that gaffe, he was in front of the exact same goal (and thus, the exact same group of fans), and we aren't exactly choir boys.

I respect Pat for his longstanding service, but I will admit to engaging in some therapeutic heckling towards him. The primary goal of our heckling is to get under the opposing keeper's skin, and we do it quite well. The fact that it also served as a bit of a release for frustrated Canada supporters was just a bonus, in my books.

As someone else said, he needs to grow a thicker skin if that was indeed the reason for him retiring from the international game.

^ Fair enough. Agreed on the last line for sure. Might have realized this was his last good shot and that he blew it (and doesn't like being reminded).

Archived