Gerry's blog... a stunning call-up

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harmse is horrrrible. No offence to the guy, he has a lot of heart but come on he should'nt even smell the MNT. Harmse and no Dejong? I mean wtf, to this point I have pretty much agreed with all of his call ups, but if this guy dresses Mitchell should be canned on the spot.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I'd rather see Mitchell call Grande than Harmse.

I have now lost some faith in Mitchell. if he were to call Harmes instead of Brennan AND Grande, the guy would have to be completely clueless and I will have lost total faith in Mitchell.

Heck Rosenlund has looked far better than Harmse.

Guest Soccrman
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

At this point in Canada and Montreal's respective qualifying runs, I can't expect Grande to accept a call-up. As a fan, I'm be torn.

How could he turn it down??

Are not FIFA rules in place?

Harmse? Am I reading this right? I hope not. Last night I dreamt I was a pineapple, this is even worse. I played against a guy two weeks ago who plays like Harmse. Remarkably, no one was injured. Give a blind bull caffeine pills and you've got Harmse in a nut shell. Am I rambling? I'm too ticked/shocked to think straight.

Actually I'd have less a problem with this if Harmse is being called because he could be a possible option to replace Serioux (who is also suspended) at the back than to replace De Ro or someone else in midfield. Frankly a McKenna-Hastings CB tandem is too slow for my liking - Harmse showed me last Saturday that he brings a bit of speed there. However I too would rather see Grande called to play in midfield. Though I suppose it will allow Julian & Atiba to play further up the field & he's probably a better option as a pure "destroyer", Harmse doesn't have the distribution skills of Grande that could come in handy.

As for Brennan not being called up, I think that's obviously a separate issue. With our share of left backs (Klukowski, De Jong, Jazic) to be honest it's not really that big an issue for me, he likely wasn't going to start anyway with how well Klukowski has been playing. However it will be curious now to see who plays on the left flank with DeRo suspended.

I'm the last guy around here to defend Mitchell, but GL and MikeD make god points about his possible role with the team! He could be used in that destroyer role, to mark Guevarra, or whomever! Grande has and will have played too many matches and I'm not sure Nash is the guy we need! One of my complaints or concerns is that we haven't been near physical enough against these smaller teams, Harmse certainly adds that aspect to the game! I think some on here have been a little too critical of the guy, he is who he is and would never turn down the chance to wear the Maple Leaf! In saying all this I think Kluk should partner McKena in CB and Brennan or DeJong should play LB!

quote:Originally posted by Soccrman

How could he turn it down??

Are not FIFA rules in place?

Yes FIFA rules are in place. But FIFA rules don't include slavery lol

Changed my mind, I will back Mitchell here. But if we don't win then it's all on him.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Actually I'd have less a problem with this if Harmse is being called because he could be a possible option to replace Serioux (who is also suspended) at the back

But if that were the case, wouldn't Brennan make much more sence? Brennan has played central defense in the past. Particularly last year when all the injuries hit TFC. he aquitted himself fairly well.

But how often has Harmse played central D. I have never seen him in that role to be honnest. He has played a defensive MF role whereby he is relied on for tackling and ball winning

quote:Originally posted by gator

I'm the last guy around here to defend Mitchell, but GL and MikeD make god points about his possible role with the team! He could be used in that destroyer role, to mark Guevarra, or whomever! Grande has and will have played too many matches and I'm not sure Nash is the guy we need! One of my complaints or concerns is that we haven't been near physical enough against these smaller teams, Harmse certainly adds that aspect to the game! I think some on here have been a little too critical of the guy, he is who he is and would never turn down the chance to wear the Maple Leaf! In saying all this I think Kluk should partner McKena in CB and Brennan or DeJong should play LB!

But Grande is a MF distoyer type player. A terrific tackler and ball winner who is far more well rounded in his skills becasue he can support the offensive aspect of the game with great ball distribution. He is also a good ball striker.

and as far as centre back, see my post above

Jim Brennan's exclusion should not be a problem. By no means is he in our best 11, and I don't think he's done anything with Canada or TFC to be considered a shock exclusion. The real shock should be Keving Harmse. He has no business playing for our National Team at anyone's expense.

I thought he was okay in the 2007 Gold Cup. It's somewhat ironic that although

he kinda plays like cr*p for TFC, he plays well for the nats. Maybe that's what

Dale and SH sees.

Brennan's exclusion, while surprising, is not as earth-shattering as the exclusion

of any core player like Julian and Atiba. Brennan's role can be filled by a few

defenders (Imhof, McKenna, Klukowski, etc.).

Confirmed by Morgan Campbell:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/510955

Nats drop Brennan: Carver

For two seasons Jim Brennan has been a constant in Toronto FC's lineup, but that doesn't mean he's immune to lineup shuffling.

After playing the first 70 minutes against Mexico in Canada's most recent World Cup qualifier, the 31-year-old defender won't even make the roster for the next two qualifying matches, according to TFC head coach John Carver.

The Canadian Soccer Association will officially announce the roster early next week...

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hmmm....well that reduces the possibility of my "Harmse at CB" theory.

I wonder if Dale is looking for cover at right-back (as well as d-mid), with Imhof and Serioux out and Stalteri not being in game shape. We're not so deep on the right side. Otherwise, I'm as baffled as everyone else.

Archived