Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

I actually have connections with Royal Racing through my youth club. They have a top team, and yes it is also an academy. All players who join the club must attend either the Royal Racing french or english university. The top men's club is in the 4th belgium division and are "professionals" same as any other 4th division club around the world. They speak a good game of wanting to reach the top Belgian league and competing in the champions league. The have affiliations with youth clubs around the world, and a professional affiliation with Bradford City. They have a number of Canadians - a few of which were to come over here and play u21 in the PCSL reserve league. They never came however.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Quick update on Robert Stillo:

- he had a great summer training with Vaughn Shooters of the CSL. kudos to Carmine Isaaco and the DeThomasis family for helping Robert stay sharp.

- He's back in Italy and has been named starter for Genoa's U18 team. He also practices daily with the Primavera (Reserve) team and he's been called up to train with the senior team this week. They won't be rushing his development (he's only 17) but they are very impressed with him.

I should hope that the CSA will be calling him into their December U20 camp. He's young so he might not be a starter for the 09 edition but it would make alot of sense to see how he ranks up against the incumbents who are older than him

Adam Street, who should be the starter for the next U-20 WCQ, is also eligible for 2011. The other keeper who was call so far is a 1990 so not eligible for 2011.

I hope they call Stillo just to see what he can do.

^ why is Street considered a shoo-in to start? should it not be an open competition? Stillo and Street are more or less the same age and both playing at a high level. I say let the best (young) man play.

I agree. Even though Street looked good against Argentina, let's see what Stillo - or anyone else for that matter - has to offer before just handing the starters job to Street.

^ The CSA cannot be so arrogant or foolish as to hand a job to anyone at the U20 level.

Bring the players into camp and let them fight each other for the job. Competition brings the best (and worst) out of players.

A coronation at this stage would be beyond stupid and it would reaffirm many preconceived notions about favoritism for players tied to English clubs. I prefer to believe that such favoritism does not exist but the proof is in the pudding.

If I'm running the CSA, I'd organize a 2-3 week camp (costs be damned) and bring out 35-45 players and let them really compete with each other for a week to 10 days and then make cuts so they can start to get a sense of who their best 20-24 players are.

^ The CSA cannot be so arrogant or foolish as to hand a job to anyone at the U20 level.

Bring the players into camp and let them fight each other for the job. Competition brings the best (and worst) out of players.

A coronation at this stage would be beyond stupid and it would reaffirm many preconceived notions about favoritism for players tied to English clubs. I prefer to believe that such favoritism does not exist but the proof is in the pudding.

If I'm running the CSA, I'd organize a 2-3 week camp (costs be damned) and bring out 35-45 players and let them really compete with each other for a week to 10 days and then make cuts so they can start to get a sense of who their best 20-24 players are.

2-3 things about this post.

First, do you remember the U-20's debacle? We had numerous camps, 50-60 players called overall, a lot of internationals games and a terrible tournament. My point is, that I'm not sure we need to put our money into the kind of prep you're suggesting. Give the money to the MNT instead, kids don't need the U-20's to developp, it should be done with their club. When the CSA will have the money, we'll think about having big time prep for our U-20's. I'm all for having minimal prep like we had in 2001, 2003 and 2005, that should be enough for us to have a good team for the qualifications.

Second, the english club bias. Except Robert Stillo, I remember only 2 youth players being with Italian Serie A youth teams, Uccello and Lombardo and both were part of our 2004-2005 U-20 program. I doubt we can conclude to an english club bias just because Stillo hasn't been called yet. I don't remember one real good talent who has never been called for Canada, Hargreaves, Fernandes and JDG2 were all called by our youth coaches at some point. If Stillo is good enough, he'll have his chance at some point. I doubt we have real proof of the english club bias in recent U-20's teams. Name those youth players who were playing elsewhere who have been ignored in the past?

I just took a look at our U-23 roster for 2004 and we called 3 players playing in italians lower leagues (Serie C and D). Not sure where the bias is.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

First, do you remember the U-20's debacle? We had numerous camps, 50-60 players called overall, a lot of internationals games and a terrible tournament. My point is, that I'm not sure we need to put our money into the kind of prep you're suggesting. Give the money to the MNT instead, kids don't need the U-20's to developp, it should be done with their club. When the CSA will have the money, we'll think about having big time prep for our U-20's. I'm all for having minimal prep like we had in 2001, 2003 and 2005, that should be enough for us to have a good team for the qualifications.

Second, the english club bias. Except Robert Stillo, I remember only 2 youth players being with Italian Serie A youth teams, Uccello and Lombardo and both were part of our 2004-2005 U-20 program. I doubt we can conclude to an english club bias just because Stillo hasn't been called yet. I don't remember one real good talent who has never been called for Canada, Hargreaves, Fernandes and JDG2 were all called by our youth coaches at some point. If Stillo is good enough, he'll have his chance at some point. I doubt we have real proof of the english club bias in recent U-20's teams. Name those youth players who were playing elsewhere who have been ignored in the past?

I agree totally Loyola, a huge financial burden on inviting all players to a camp. I also agree that if a player has a talent at a youth age and is already involved with a club internationally, let their club develop and raise the level of his playing abilities. To take away or remove player from their club at a earlier age is wrong I think, and truly believe here its done too prematurely. But, on the other hand if a player has a track record like the ones you mentioned that are really good or have a history behind their name as well a consistancency of performance in games Why not call up? why wait till he has signed an international contract? Why wait till he signs for a first team for the top leagues of the world. is wrong too. Being called upon at the RIGHT time in the RIGHT position is a comfort level for a player playing internationally at any age, and it shows him that Canada recognizes his hard work he has demonstrated outside his country and this should be done at any level internationally. But invite a player outside these things I mentioned at a cost to Canada would not be proper I think.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I just took a look at our U-23 roster for 2004 and we called 3 players playing in italians lower leagues (Serie C and D). Not sure where the bias is.

I remember very well the mess that Mitchell made of the last U20 cycle. I personally didn't have a problem with the number of players, number of camps or number of friendlies that were scheduled. I did have a problem with the final roster and with the overall performance of the coach. I'm not convinced we had our best talent on the field at the U20s.

Also, I have never said that Canada needs a U20 program to "develop" players. Clubs develop players, not NT programs. However, these youth national teams can be excellent opportunities for quality players to be identified by pro clubs, if they aren't already in a top system. I'm not suggesting we need multiple camps prior to the next U20 qualifying tournament....just don't leave any stones unturned at any position. And I don't have a lot of sympathy for the 'CSA doesn't have any money' argument/excuses.

Finally, despite your valid examples, there is a strong perception of English bias/excessive English influence in the system, especially in Ontario. I prefer not to put a lot into it but believe me when I tell you that there are LOTS of people who subscribe to the "english mafia" theories. Right or wrong, perception is reality for some. I'm not saying that this is the case with Stillo...I'm confident that he'll get the call to camp as long as he continues to perform well for Genoa's U18s.

Radzinski now playing in Belgium for Lierse:

Link: http://greece.worldcupblog.org/1/gsl-preview-skoda-xanthi-gearing-to-go.html

Am I the only person who found this news surprising. I had not heard this news anywhere.

the Canadians Abroad master list will need to be updated accordingly.

It was only made official today, from what I could read from the greek websites. Radzinski is leaving for Belgium (Lierse SK fo the 2nd division) in order to be closer to his pregnant wife and child. He stated in a press conference today that he may return to Xanthi next season after his wife gives birth.

The greek press is calling it a "shock transfer"; in other words, out of the blue.

I remember very well the mess that Mitchell made of the last U20 cycle. I personally didn't have a problem with the number of players, number of camps or number of friendlies that were scheduled. I did have a problem with the final roster and with the overall performance of the coach. I'm not convinced we had our best talent on the field at the U20s.

What should have been the final roster then? From the people who say we didn't have our best on the field in the U-20, I have yet to hear a convincing alternative roster. Also whatever criticisms we have, valid or invalid, of Mitchell as national team coach, his selections have been excellent. As far as I can see, while I would have given a few players in the U-20 lineup, more or less playing time, we had the best players available.

Gavin McCallum, formerly of Yeovil, is now with Sutton United in the Ryman Premier Division in England. He's scored 5 goals in 5 games so far. There was a piece on him in my local paper last weekend and he said he's using the move to try and catch the attention of league clubs.

The U's currently sit in 8th place of the 22-team division with a record of W2, D2, L1. The top team is promoted to the Conference South (which Sutton have just been relegated from) and those placed 2nd to 5th go into play-offs.

Another Canadian playing in the Ryman Premier Division is Jon Henry-Hayden who is now with Tooting & Mitcham United (close to Sutton in South London). They currently sit in 14th place with a W2, D0, L3 record. He is also having a good season according to my sources at the club.

Elliot Godfrey is free-scoring for AFC Wimbledon in the Conference South. They are currently in second place after 6 games.

In the Paul Stalteri thread below, the CP story referenced has a bit at the end stating that Ali Gerba has finally got his paperwork in order and will be playing in England after the international break.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Alen Marcina becomes the third Canadian on the Rhinos:

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/news/article.php?id=862

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3709205

Man, is he well traveled or what?

YNWA: Is this the kinda link you are looking for?

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/team/player.php?id=280

Actually, he is the fourth. I guess no one had noticed that Evan Milward also signed with the Rhinos a few games back.

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/team/player.php?id=255

Greek Update:

Stathis Kappos is playing for Greek B division club Apollon Kalamarias.

He is their cover for left back and is wearing number 4. This is a decent move for considering he played in the C division last year for Thyella Patras F.C. (That is why I couldn't find any news about him last year)

Here is the article from Metrosport:

http://www.metrosport.gr/?p=1856

The Marcus Haber roadshow continues, now confirmed at Gillingham (League Two).

RESERVE TEAM LINE-UPS

Posted on: Wed 10 Sep 2008

Mark Stimson will be fielding four trialists in this afternoon's reserve match with Southampton. Former loan striker Trevor Benjamin starts up front alongside Canadian U-23 international Marcus Haber.

Gillingham: Alan Julian, Ellis Munday, Danny Walder, Leigh Mills, Rimmel Daniel, Stuart Lewis, Tyron Amory, Mark Bentley, Trevor Benjamin, Marcus Haber, Albert Jarrett

Archived