Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

From tottenhamhotspur.com:

Takura Mtandari

A regular in a successful 2007-08 campaign for our Under-18s.

Takura played in 27 out of 28 Academy fixtures, starting 25 and scoring once as the lads finished second in their division.

His performances were rewarded with a further nine appearances for the reserves, two starts and he flourished in a new defensive midfield role towards the end of the season.

Brought up in Edmonton, attended Aylward Secondary School, Takura was a runner-up with his school team in the Enfield League Cup in 2004.

He joined our Academy full-time in 2006-07 having made four appearances as a schoolboy in 2005-06. He played 21 times in 2006-07 and stepped up for three reserve games.

Doesn't seem like a Canadian to me. The confusion might come up from Edmonton, London.

Macri is from Missisauga, Ontario.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

This Genova International School of Soccer sounds pretty interesting. Never heard of it before.

They ran camps in the GTA and BC, if memory serves, this past summer.

If you were to observe the Genova Soccer School camps, on the surface it looks like AS Roma has sent coaches to Canada to recruit players. The kids are all wearing Roma kits and the coaches/trainers running the camp look like what you would expect an Italian pro coach to look like.

However, they are not directly affiliated to the professional clubs Sport Department. Someone I know called the "diretore sportivo" at AS Roma on the day when these people were running the camp in Mississauga (all the players participating were from Erin Mills I'm told) and the gentleman from AS Roma knew nothing about these camps in Canada. It's possible that these camp operators are affiliated through the club's marketing department rather than its soccer department.

These types of camps might be useful and possibly some player will be discovered but they are, for the most part, commercial enterprises seeking to make money by holding camps. I don't want to be overly cynical because I'm sure they provide decent value and are likely enjoyable for the players. They certainly get a cool looking kit out of it.

I've spoken to people who have done these types of camps, some of whom have been invited to Europe for a trial as a result and the sense is that the camps are fun and often the coaches are pretty good but they are certainly capitalizing on the hopes and dreams of players/parents. As pro soccer ambitions continue to grow for Canadian youth, I am pretty sure we will see more of these operators popping up

A couple of news items from Facebook:

1 - Keegan Ayre is currently in the UK and will be making his way to Holland on Sunday where he has a trial with SC Cambuur.

2 - A kid from Edmonton, Sam Lam, is one of 10 finalists on a reality TV show to earn a roster spot with Sounders FC for 2009. Details here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=60334860940&ref=nf

If you live in the Lower Mainland, you will be able to watch the show as it is being broadcast on KING 5.

There is video about the Sounders Super Search here:

http://www.king5.com./video/sounders-index.html

I'd be interested to know if the CSA was aware of players such as Macri and Mtandari when they did their U-20 camps. Their level (on paper) would on par with the other players we brought to camp.

It's a shame we don't have a more comprehensive system in place (from the association) to identify players.

Good question! Are these REAL Canadian boys? They just pop out of nowhere to make a third div. team in Europe. Give me a break;...... and then you expect them to be Passionate and play for THEIR country ( OUR country ). Don't think so!

Who knows whether they want to represent Canada or not.

Let's be clear though, the reason why CSA hasn't identified them is because they know little (or nothing) of anybody who didn't come through NTC's and higher level teams. Let's not jump to concusions and say they are wanting to play for someone else just yet.

Not to mention i don't think our provincial / NTC player have proven to be any more loyal than anyone else.

Tosaint Ricketts made an impression in Norway when he ran the fastest time ever recorded on the 40-metre dash by a soccer player: 4.47. He ran exactly the same time on the second try and 4.56 on his third. Coach Henning Berg was impressed by his speed but thinks his overall skills have some way to go yet. Lillestrøm are will not be signing him to a contract now but hope to get another look at him at a later date.

Ricketts is off to a trial at Sønderjyske in Denmark.

http://www.rb.no/lsk-magasinet/article4036077.ece

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Who knows whether they want to represent Canada or not.

Let's be clear though, the reason why CSA hasn't identified them is because they know little (or nothing) of anybody who didn't come through NTC's and higher level teams. Let's not jump to concusions and say they are wanting to play for someone else just yet.

I can confirm that the CSA is familiar with 3 of the 4 players that have been "discovered" here in recent days. They are looking into the 4th player to see what's the story with him.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I can confirm that the CSA is familiar with 3 of the 4 players that have been "discovered" here in recent days. They are looking into the 4th player to see what's the story with him.

When we see those kind of discovery, people have a tendancy to assume the CSA doesn't know about those players when they usually do. Over the years, there hasn't been many case of a good player unknown from our youth coaches who becomes a decent pro. Scouting talent never appeared to be much of a problem for our youth nationale teams, it's developing more players at a younger age that seems to be the major issue.

BTW, I think Raheem Alibhai is french, not french canadian.

I assume the guy they don't know about is Takura Mtandari as he's probably not Canadian. To be clear as I posted many of these links, I was never saying the CSA was not aware of them. I realise they probably were but I had never seen anything in the Canadians Abroad about these individuals so I posted it. And there is always the off chance we can find anotehr Marc Bircham.

"Who knows whether they want to represent their country or not". I thought this thread was dedicated to young CANADIAN lads, serious to represent THEIR country (pretend we were in England or Italy or Germany or Brasil) What about those that are really , seriously looking to do that, and even actually can sing OUR National anthem. Maybe I'm wrong........ can't we at least (somewhat) support these young Soccer Canadians !!!!

quote:Originally posted by Mazha

"Who knows whether they want to represent their country or not". I thought this thread was dedicated to young CANADIAN lads, serious to represent THEIR country (pretend we were in England or Italy or Germany or Brasil) What about those that are really , seriously looking to do that, and even actually can sing OUR National anthem. Maybe I'm wrong........ can't we at least (somewhat) support these young Soccer Canadians !!!!

Nice of you to jump on a comment over symantics. Practicality is we can't very well ask everyone on the list what their intentions are. So until they are likely not representing Canada, they are on the list.

^Actually, most players on the list are capped by Canada or safe to assume will be. I think Hoilett is the only one in question. I tried to find a profile on facebook, with no luck. Facebook is actually a good means to keep this list up-to-date. I haven't done anything in this regard, but if we could get our Canadians abroad to join the Vs group, they could update themselves.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Hoilett has no intention of playing for Canada. I no longer consider him when doing Canucks in Germany updates.

Whether or not you know this for a fact, I still agree with you. He hasn't been out to any U20 camps. I think we spent far too much time waiting for JDG2 to screw us over and I won't be making that same mistake this time. As far as I'm concerned this kid is a write off.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

How do you know?

I read it on Wikipedia. :)

He has never accepted any invites at any age level. Move on.

For the longest time Jacob Lensky did not accept invites from the National Team either, but then he played for us during the Olympic qualifiers.

He has also never accepted invites from any other country so there is no reason to believe he is more inclined to play for someone else than for us unless you know something you are not telling us. It would certainly be a good move for Mitchell to call him to the senior team to see if he will show up.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Just out of curiosity, why do you still include Dani Fernandes in CIG update. I knew East Side pride ran deep, but I didn't realize it went as far as Alberta. :D

I think he normally adds Fernandes to Bochum-Imhof updates, but you are right.

As for Hoillet, another case of a player who did not want to play for Canada was Sandro Grande, who had Italy on his mind. Played a few official matches for Brescia. Then was brought to his senses. So you never know. Rick Titus, at a point late in his career when he had not played internationally, tried to make himself available to Canada as well (is he Jamaican, not sure, but I think he eventually played for them).

All I am saying is that if Hoillet sees he is getting some love from Canadian fans he may just reconsider. No one here has ever been seduced before? It is a lovely experience.

Archived