Mother of All Canadians Abroad - February 2010

YWNA, I tried to send you an email on your needs but it got bounced. I can supply all the club links you need. What is the best way to do it? I think Grizzly is spot on in his analysis. It of course won't stop me from reporting on the younger fellas, especially those playing in the Oberliga while signed to a bigger squad (e.g., JBB at FC St Pauli, KOA at Hertha Berlin, etc).

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

YWNA, I tried to send you an email on your needs but it got bounced. I can supply all the club links you need. What is the best way to do it? I think Grizzly is spot on in his analysis. It of course won't stop me from reporting on the younger fellas, especially those playing in the Oberliga while signed to a bigger squad (e.g., JBB at FC St Pauli, KOA at Hertha Berlin, etc).

I apologize. My V's email is long out of date and I haven't been able to update it. I've started posting links on a test basis on page 1. Ideally I'd like to post the link to the "official" club site which, hopefully, will have a page for the player. Give me a few days -if the site is up- I will fill out the majority of the big name players, as I've already started. I won't be too hasty in axing players, so please do post links right in this thread if you feel the players merits it.

I don't necessarily want to draw a firm line in the sand at Div 3. I thought the club page link was a better defining line because, let's face it, your only going to get your face on the web site if you're a regular. That's really my main concern. Some of these guys -Gaudet for example- go over for a trial, there's a misunderstanding as to whether they've signed, and they end up on the list for a year when they were only at the club a week.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I would agree that the list should be kept to professional players. I would say that we should cut the line off at the fourth division of the top countries and 3rd division of other countries (and for some this might be too high). An exception could be youth players on reserve teams of teams in higher divisions. Otherwise I am not too interested in players playing at a level that in many cases is lower than USL.

Your German list looks correct to me though I didn't check a few of the more obscure clubs. Are there any players in particular that you are unsure about?

I agree in principle, however I think it should be done by a country-by-country approach.

I would consider many teams in the fifth and sixth levels of English football (Conference Premier/North/South) to be on par with the teams of the fourth (Tercera Division) and even lower third (Segunda B) levels in Spain, because of course, when you get down to the third level, Spain has multiple divisions which England does not.

I agree on your post about the changes in the German system and that the cutoff should be at the 3 Regionalligas, and the fourth level sounds right for Italy (which would be Serie C2) as well. For France 4th level may be a bit low because that's the Championnat de France des Amateurs (CFA). I wouldn't go any lower than the Championnat National, perhaps with the exception of reserve teams. But that's just me. ;)

actually im back with sparta. new coachh, hope there is a new chance.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Mods, can we sticky this and let the other float away. Thanks.

Outstanding issues:

Dave Anthony Simpson - where are you man?

Octavio - has he signed in Holland?

Rob Sing - is he still in Switzerland?

Paris Nakajima Farran - is he actually eligible for Canada?

Junior - is he in Germany or England?

David Masciantonio - what's the verdict?

Gavin McCallum - Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Conf. South) (6)

Elliott Godfrey - Hampton & Richmond (Blue Square Conf. South) (6)

Havant & Waterlooville, Hampton & Richmond. Is it only me or do those sound more like 19th century rail lines than 21st century football teams.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Gavin McCallum - Havant & Waterlooville (Blue Square Conf. South) (6)

Elliott Godfrey - Hampton & Richmond (Blue Square Conf. South) (6)

Havant & Waterlooville, Hampton & Richmond. Is it only me or do those sound more like 19th century rail lines than 21st century football teams.

lol:D

It's quite interesting how many teams in England are comprised of two town/borough names. Hampton and Richmond are two neighbourhoods within Richmond-Upon-Thames, a borough of London, and Havant and Waterlooville are a city and a village within the Havant borough of Hampshire.

Another more recently-formed example is Hayes & Yeading United. ;)

Fabian Troche should be contracted by the CSA. I'm sure he will be on their map now. Also, he doesn't seem to really care who he plays for, which usually means we just went to the bottom of the pile. I hate reading these articles (good though) because it just shows the lack of professionalism by our association and how players respond. Its like watching your dog getting run over...damn it.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Wow, what the hell happened with that ?

He was only on loan to Sparta, so he should be back with FK Siad Most. The same Dave Simpson is back with Sparta. Now what I'm curious about is his contract situation, one or two year left? Does he have some kind of relgation clause? Cause he is much better than 2nd division in Czech republic. I remember there were some rumours about a move to Hansa Rostock last year. With them now in 2nd division in Germany that would be a great move for him.

Tks to Michele at BS for headsup

http://www.fcn.dk/script/site/page.asp?Cat_ID=17&artID=635

Canadian landsholdsspiller to FCN

Press release from FC Nordsjælland, 25 June 2008.

FC Nordsjælland have concluded a three-year agreement with the experienced Canadian midtbanestjerne Patrice Bernier, just missing the mandatory lægetjek.

28-year-old Patrice Bernier is a complete midtbanespiller that combines good technique with an aggressive style of play and a huge løbepensum. Bernier marked the first in European football with many excellent performance in nearly 100 tippeliga matches for Moss and Tromso.

In the summer of 2007 changed Bernier to German Kaiserslautern, where he received the prestigious rygnummer 10, but the general turbulence in the German club have now made the switch to FC Nordsjælland possible.

Cheftræner Morten Wieghorst has high expectations for the new FCN play:

We have a good, young and super talented troupe, but we also need experienced players with a high bundniveau and that is exactly what Patrice can add FCN. He is an experienced and hard-working player who will be a gain as well on as off the field.

Sportschef Jan Laursen looks forward to seeing the Canadian landsholdsspiller pulling the FCN trøjen:

We have followed Patrice for a long time, and we are pleased that we managed to get a klassespiller as him on the contract of FC Nordsjælland. We are proud that he has chosen us for some of the major clubs in Scandinavia. We're still in this transfervindue for more mature players in particular to our defensive organisation, which can give the team more stability and the backbone and thus support and develop our many young talented players.

FC Nordsjælland will continue its successful strategy of identifying and developing the largest Danish talent, but we must ensure that these matches of rutinerede players, so we can ensure and strengthen their and FC Nordsjællands position in the Danish topfodbold.

Patrice Bernier join in FC Nordsjælland when lægetjekket is veloverstået early next week when he comes to Denmark after two successful World Cup qualifiers for the Canadian national team.

Spillerdata:

Name: Patrice Bernier

Born: 23. september 1979

Height: 178 cm

Weight: 77 kg

International: 32 matches on the Canadian national team.

Former clubs: Montreal Impact, Moss FK, Tromso, Kaiserslautern.

Pfffft, easy on the hyperbole dude... [xx(]

"A Calgary kid being asked to go and play soccer for a Welsh team is akin to an British teenager getting the call to suit up with the Calgary Flames.

It might not be impossible, but it's close."

By the way YNWA, i was checking on Carlo Seminara yesterday since you removed him from your list. He was playing for North York in 2007, but he's no longer on their roster. Anyone have any idea where he is?

Archived