Inter Toronto FC - Toronto MLS clubs' new name?

MM2

My $0.02

- If the three, Toronto FC is the best.

- the three trademarks are numbered 792, 793 and 794 ... Toronto FC is #792, so maybe they registered that one first because they really really wanted it : )

- Toronto Blizzard has been abandoned

- Toronto City is open, as is Toronto Internationals

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

No matter what name they chose, there was always going to be howls of derision & protests from people calling it the worst name ever. Its par for the course. Inter Toronto has been mooted from a long way back, not my choice but hardly anything as idiotic sounding as Real Salt Lake - I would agree with TOareaFan that its fits the city's identity far more than "Real" fits Salt Lake. If that is the name of course - I will still wait for an official announcement.

I agree with you and TOareafan about the name fitting the city's identity. But I believe if they're going to take the "international" route, then perhaps they should name the club Toronto International FC and not face allegations of copying Inter Milan's name.

Pretty sure that would still be copying. I'm no online dictionary, but Inter-national sounds a lot like 'Inter-nazionale' to me. Still, it could be way worse. I like City slightly better, but it is likely more inaccurate than Inter. City would imply there's a United or some other team in the metro region. I don't think Lynx will we around long enough to support the opposition.

Are Italians not the largest "ETHNIC" group in Toronto with about 500,000. It must have took 2 minutes for the MLSE marketing gods to with an Italian sounding name. Just be thankful that the team wasn't named Roma Toronto or that the Turkish community wasn't the largest "ETHNIC" group.

the team would have been named the Toronto Turkey's.

New book at chapters:

MLSE- How to pander to the largest ETHNIC group and still fail.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Are Italians not the largest "ETHNIC" group in Toronto with about 500,000. It must have took 2 minutes for the MLSE marketing gods to with an Italian sounding name. Just be thankful that the team wasn't named Roma Toronto or that the Turkish community wasn't the largest "ETHNIC" group.

the team would have been named the Toronto Turkey's.

New book at chapters:

MLSE- How to pander to the largest ETHNIC group and still fail.

Perhaps it is being considered as a hook to the Italian community but remember, not everyone in the Italian community are Inter fans....from walking around the city and outlying regions It would appear to me that the most popular teams in the community are Juventus, AC Milan and Roma.....besides, this non-italian feels that the name is appropriate and fitting.

Guest Jeffery S.

Basically agree with those posting to the effect that if it were Toronto International or Internationals that would be fine, not the best, but fine. And if Inter came out of that, before or after the city name, that could be alright.

But to just take the abbreviation of Internazionale, a name only used by a single famous team in all the world (unlike your FCs and United and even Rovers and Reals), is quite stupid. Automatically you alientate all those Italian fans who are not Inter fans (just as I, as a Barça fan, have a team I hate in MLS with all my heart, a gift called Real), which is the vast majority in Toronto (maybe you'd have 5-10% of TO Italian soccer supporters originally Inter fans?). You reference a single team instead of, potentially, a number of teams, which would at least give you more options for sentimental attachments (a Betis fan could say sure, he likes Real Salt Lake, as he supports Real Betis, logical).

I think the real situation is that the folks at MLSE are really Interns and the name is a bit of self-directed irony.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Basically agree with the above post, if it were Toronto International or Internationals that would be fine, not the best, but fine. And if Inter came out of that, before or after the city name, that could be alright.

But to just take the abbreviation of Internazionale, a name only used by a single famous team in all the world (unlike your FCs and United and even Rovers and Reals), is quite stupid. Automatically you alientate all those Italian fans who are not Inter fans (just as I, as a Barça fan, have a team I hate in MLS with all my heart, a gift called Real), which is the vast majority in Toronto (maybe you'd have 5-10% of TO Italian soccer supporters originally Inter fans?). You reference a single team instead of, potentially, a number of teams, which would at least give you more options for sentimental attachments (a Betis fan could say sure, he likes Real Salt Lake, as he supports Real Betis, logical).

I think the real situation is that the folks at MLSE are really Interns and the name is a bit of self-directed irony.

I know what you are saying but, really, if you called the team United, as an example, is there anyone that would believe for a minute that the team was targetting Dundee United (or even Newcastle United) fans? No....DC United is named as such because they hoped all of those Manchester United fans would hop on board....same with Real Salt Lake....I am sure there are other small teams called "Inter" if that makes you feel any more comfortable with the name.

Inter Toronto is only one of the names they are looking at & have registered, we know of two others (Toronto FC & the Northmen) and there are apparently more registered names out there.

It appears these were all on the short-list for being considered & MLSE has got the trademark to protect all possibilities while they do research on them.

So it may very well not be Inter Toronto, I guess we'll find out in the weeks to come. Its not the name I'd go with personally (I prefer City of the faux Euro names that are available) but I'm not likely to lose sleep over the name if it that indeed is it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Inter Toronto is only one of the names they are looking at & have registered, we know of two others (Toronto FC & the Northmen) and there are apparently more registered names out there.

Inter appears at this point to be the only one filed by MLS itself in the U.S. though.

Guest speedmonk42

Ok, I hope I don't get smacked around for this....

.. but what is the 'history' of the word 'Inter' with respect to soccer teams? United I get... Inter what does it mean?

It could, given the "international" nature of Toronto be a good parody with positive connotations.

By all respects Toronto could be international soccer city of planet Earth. It should be, and I hope MLSE realizes this. I mean where else can you pack the stadium for two teams that are not from the host nation? Probably not many places.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

.. but what is the 'history' of the word 'Inter' with respect to soccer teams? United I get... Inter what does it mean?

It could, given the "international" nature of Toronto be a good parody with positive connotations.

By all respects Toronto could be international soccer city of planet Earth. It should be, and I hope MLSE realizes this. I mean where else can you pack the stadium for two teams that are not from the host nation? Probably not many places.

Depends whose playing. Italy played Serbian and Montenegra and drew a mere 22000 last year. So Italians in Toronto won't even support the Italian National team-- let alone a lame imposter trying to cash in on the "inter" link.

Toronto is no where near being "international soccer city of the planet" as it lags behind Montreal and Vancouver in Canada let alone 50 to 70 cities in Europe.

And that is why they should call the team something hockey sounding like the Toronto SlapSHots! At least they get 2 home games in before people figured it out.

Inter---esting but wrong in my opinion.I don't think that the Italiens in this town will fall for this.They are way to realistic and causious as well as reserved to even take this serious. they will look upon this as a ploy and even worse the media will have a way to use this as another ethnic nock.it's to bad that they would not consider Toronto United, which if properly explained could have been a very powerfull and very meaningfull name.

Well let's just wait for the real name. there is a media conference on Apr.12 at the CNE and than we should know more.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

The name "Inter" from Milan comes from Internazionale Milan. The story of why the team was named as such is kinda interesting. First came AC Milan... and although we know them as football clubs, a lot of European clubs started off as various forms of clubs or associations which eventually evolved into a football team. In the case of AC, it was an all Italian club at first. As time went on, some foreigners, Englishmen I believe, wanted to join, but the Italians stood by their Italians-only policy. So these Englishmen decided to found a club where all would be welcome.. an international club.... Internazionale. And hence the team (or club) was born.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Toronto is no where near being "international soccer city of the planet" as it lags behind Montreal and Vancouver in Canada let alone 50 to 70 cities in Europe.

Those huge international soccer matches in Montreal and Vancouver have really been selling out Swangard and CCR lately, eh?

(Note to everyone else: this is not a shot a Montreal or Vancouver, but rather at G-Man's constant anti-Toronto stupidity)

quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

The name "Inter" from Milan comes from Internazionale Milan. The story of why the team was named as such is kinda interesting. First came AC Milan... and although we know them as football clubs, a lot of European clubs started off as various forms of clubs or associations which eventually evolved into a football team. In the case of AC, it was an all Italian club at first. As time went on, some foreigners, Englishmen I believe, wanted to join, but the Italians stood by their Italians-only policy. So these Englishmen decided to found a club where all would be welcome.. an international club.... Internazionale. And hence the team (or club) was born.

Now I don't know if this is entirely correct. Im not sure if this is true, but from what I remember, AC Milan had too many Englishmen...thus AC Milan and not AC Milano. Then Internazionale was started in response to that. I read this somewhere but I could have mixed it all up in translation.

Well I was both right and wrong.

From Answers.com

AC Milan: The club was founded in 1899 as the Milan Cricket and Football Club by Alfred Edwards and Herbert Kilpin, British expatriates. In honour of its origins, the club has retained the English spelling of its city's name, instead of changing it to the Italian Milano; it should be noted that the current Italian pronunciation is actually MEE-lahn.

Inter Milan: The club was founded on March 9, 1908 following a schism from the Milan Cricket and Football Club, now known as AC Milan. A group of Italians and Swiss were unhappy about the domination of Italians in the AC Milan team, and broke away from them, leading to the creation of Internazionale. From the beginning, the club was open to foreign players and thus lived up to her founding name. The original nickname of the team in the Milano dialect was La Beneamata, the cherished.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I have heard a rumour about a major presser on April 12th at the Toronto Exhibition Grounds.

I understand that a FIFA Inspection Team will be in Canada looking at all the venues for the U-20 World Championships. I'm guessing that the press conference is related to that and the stadium rather than the MLS team but I could be wrong.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Those huge international soccer matches in Montreal and Vancouver have really been selling out Swangard and CCR lately, eh?

(Note to everyone else: this is not a shot a Montreal or Vancouver, but rather at G-Man's constant anti-Toronto stupidity)

USL attendance 2006

1 Montreal Impact 156,458/11,176

4 Vancouver Whitecaps 71,202/5,086

10 Toronto Lynx 34,552/2,468

Just the facts...and we'll see how well Montreal does with the MNT's exibition game in september. I'm betting on a sell-out.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I have heard a rumour about a major presser on April 12th at the Toronto Exhibition Grounds.

Rumour has it that the groundbreaking ceremony will take place that day, with the MLS team name and colours being announced at a later date.

Archived