Inter Toronto FC - Toronto MLS clubs' new name?

MM2

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Sad to see you cn't read between the lines.

85% capacity is piss poor for a city claiming to support the NBA.

Stop denying it.

Edmonton Eskimos average attendance in 2005 = 41,933

Commonwealth Stadium capacity = 60,081

Percentage of seats filled = 69.7%

Source: http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical/CFL-Attendance.htm

And I always thought Edmonton was a great CFL town. I guess because it doesn’t draw an arbitrary number of fans, it must not be.

Interesting.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Edmonton Eskimos average attendance in 2005 = 41,933

Commonwealth Stadium capacity = 60,081

Percentage of seats filled = 69.7%

Source: http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical/CFL-Attendance.htm

And I always thought Edmonton was a great CFL town. I guess because it doesn’t draw an arbitrary number of fans, it must not be.

Interesting.

Glad to see that you can read between the lines.

69.7% capacity is piss poor for a city claiming to support the CFL.

I'm sure you'll be happy to accept his surrender.

Stop denying it.

:D

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Glad to see that you can read between the lines.

69.7% capacity is piss poor for a city claiming to support the CFL.

I'm sure you'll be happy to accept his surrender.

Stop denying it.

:D

Touché

I still find it funny that someone would acctually thing that since Toronto is the worst road draw in the league, they would think that support for the team is bad. What about the last 5+ years when the Raptors where consistantly in the top 10 attended teams in the NBA eventhough they have only ever made 2 play-offs.

I have to say that I like the name of the team " Inter-Toronto FC". No I am not a fan of Inter-Milan. I am a fan of our city. I am a football fan.

I like the name because if there is any city in the world that should have the name " International" as the name of its football club then that certainly must be Toronto. Certainly we are more "Inter" then Milan.

I can only hope that football/soccer fans from all backgrounds will support a team in Toronto with the name Inter - after all it really does capture the essense of our community.

So Bravo MLS. I finally agree with one of your moves.

quote:Originally posted by CroMan

I like the name because if there is any city in the world that should have the name " International" as the name of its football club then that certainly must be Toronto. Certainly we are more "Inter" then Milan.

I agree with CroMan. Toronto will be the first Canadian team in MLS making the league "Inter"national. It was stated earlier in this post that Inter Milan was created so that international players could play for a Milan club. Well Canadians are made up entirely of international immigrants unless you're native. "Toronto" is native for "meeting place" and MLSE is selling the game to "Inter"national fans. MLS understand that the Europpean game is superior and that's why they're using the name associations even though some don't make sense (Real Salt Lake). Well Inter Toronto makes SENSE. DC is a STATE not a CITY so DC United allows many cities to back one club. Don't think of these names as "rip-offs", just enjoy the beautiful game.

quote:Originally posted by twismca

I agree with CroMan. Toronto will be the first Canadian team in MLS making the league "Inter"national. It was stated earlier in this post that Inter Milan was created so that international players could play for a Milan club. Well Canadians are made up entirely of international immigrants unless you're native. "Toronto" is native for "meeting place" and MLSE is selling the game to "Inter"national fans. MLS understand that the Europpean game is superior and that's why they're using the name associations even though some don't make sense (Real Salt Lake). Well Inter Toronto makes SENSE. DC is a STATE not a CITY so DC United allows many cities to back one club. Don't think of these names as "rip-offs", just enjoy the beautiful game.

Well said (except the part of DC being a state...it is not)....I have been a supporter/fan of this name for some time and, for the reasons you state, am still a supporter....just wish they would drop the "FC" part...still not sure what that means!

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

FC = Football Club

Yes I know...but since the league is Major League Soccer</u> it is the FC that smacks of "phonyism" not the Inter part. I am ok with the name but what is wrong with a simple Inter Toronto....or, if they must, Inter Toronto SC?

I´m closing the other thread about the Inter name and pasting it here...mod.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic

sergiop3

Windsor

Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 13:52:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow i can't believe this....

Im 20 years old and 100 percent italian and a fanatic when its comes to world soccer.......but some of the things you guys are writing disgust me! No matter what the name is i would support them like i support my favorite team...LAZIo...in Italy! Just because it starts with inter shouldnt matter at all...For all you mangiacakes that dont like the name inter or any other name....it is the team of your city and its the kind of opportunity that toronto is finally getting from the MLS and MLSE is amazing. Your support should be there no matter what and dont start crying before the team has even been created...wow u guys amke me sick! You think the Magpies in england like there name ?! or bolton wanderers for all you mangiacakes who love EPL?!?!

This is what Canada needed cause the people running the CSA dont know what the hell there doing when it comes to player development and will never admit they dont know anything about the game and the people playing it in this country....

The funniest part is that I am from windsor ontario! Not even from Toronto and i will be behind Toronto 1000 percent. I never watched the MLS in my life...but we have a team to call our own now and it doesnt matter how dumb it sounds or how much we dislike it! This is our opportunity to show the world that Canada has true international flavor and talent in soccer...Forza Inter Toronto...

Rudi

Mississauga

Canada

1439 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 14:07:21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Originally posted by sergiop3

For all you mangiacakes

This is a great way to endear yourself to the greater populace.

Richard

Vancouver

Canada

1293 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 14:10:58

"we have a team to call our own"

Your fervour is admirable but did the Toronto Lynx and the USL D1 never show on your soccer radar?

There is no harm in expressing an opinion about and discussing possible names for a club but I think you'll find most people on this board are enthusiastic supporters of MLS Toronto, whatever the name is. The detractors are but a noisy few.

Elias

Steeltown

Canada

588 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 18:25:40

How do you say gimmick in Italian?

By the way, Columbus is closer to Windsor than Toronto is. So the Crew is your home team.

Daniel

Around

2993 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 18:26:37

THUNDER DAN 4 CANADA!!!

sergiop3

Windsor

Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 20:13:09

quote:

Originally posted by Elias

By the way, Columbus is closer to Windsor than Toronto is. So the Crew is your home team.

by the way...i live in canada jackass....u guys up there forget that the country comes down past london sometimes...

I´m closing the other thread about the Inter name and pasting it here...mod.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic

sergiop3

Windsor

Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 13:52:57

Wow i can't believe this....

Im 20 years old and 100 percent italian and a fanatic when its comes to world soccer.......but some of the things you guys are writing disgust me! No matter what the name is i would support them like i support my favorite team...LAZIo...in Italy! Just because it starts with inter shouldnt matter at all...For all you mangiacakes that dont like the name inter or any other name....it is the team of your city and its the kind of opportunity that toronto is finally getting from the MLS and MLSE is amazing. Your support should be there no matter what and dont start crying before the team has even been created...wow u guys amke me sick! You think the Magpies in england like there name ?! or bolton wanderers for all you mangiacakes who love EPL?!?!

This is what Canada needed cause the people running the CSA dont know what the hell there doing when it comes to player development and will never admit they dont know anything about the game and the people playing it in this country....

The funniest part is that I am from windsor ontario! Not even from Toronto and i will be behind Toronto 1000 percent. I never watched the MLS in my life...but we have a team to call our own now and it doesnt matter how dumb it sounds or how much we dislike it! This is our opportunity to show the world that Canada has true international flavor and talent in soccer...Forza Inter Toronto...

Rudi

Mississauga

Canada

1439 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 14:07:21

quote:

Originally posted by sergiop3

For all you mangiacakes

This is a great way to endear yourself to the greater populace.

Richard

Vancouver

Canada

1293 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 14:10:58

"we have a team to call our own"

Your fervour is admirable but did the Toronto Lynx and the USL D1 never show on your soccer radar?

There is no harm in expressing an opinion about and discussing possible names for a club but I think you'll find most people on this board are enthusiastic supporters of MLS Toronto, whatever the name is. The detractors are but a noisy few.

Elias

Steeltown

Canada

588 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 18:25:40

Daniel

Around

2993 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 18:26:37

THUNDER DAN 4 CANADA!!!

sergiop3

Windsor

Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 : 20:13:09

quote:

Originally posted by Elias

by the way...i live in canada jackass....u guys up there forget that the country comes down past london sometimes...

quote:Originally posted by sergiop3

Easy there keyboard cowboy.

London?? What London?? The 401, hence Canada, ends at Hamilton.

As for your first post,

enter_key.jpg

It exists for a reason.

So does this, but I'm nice.

delete_key.jpg

quote:Originally posted by sergiop3

Easy there keyboard cowboy.

London?? What London?? The 401, hence Canada, ends at Hamilton.

As for your first post,

enter_key.jpg

It exists for a reason.

So does this, but I'm nice.

delete_key.jpg

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by renatinho

It's not that uncommon to name a team Inter. There are four already: Internazionale di Milano, Internacional de Porto Alegre, Inter Turku and ASK Inter Bratislava.

Black and blue make for great jersey colours if they want to go that route.

Just on the basis of this post, if someone at MLSE can intelligently come out and say the same thing, that the name does not only reference a single team in Milan but an idea of a club repeated elsewhere, then I think I could accept the name. Just saw, funnily enough, a team in the Andorra league with Inter in it as well. If the argument is generic and not specific, if they make the effort to convince the AC Milan fans that they are NOT going against their colours, then I will give them credit.

But somehow I think they are not clued in enough for these subtleties, and will just let the qualms out there ride. And then wonder why the enthusiasm from those with Italian background in TO is less than warm.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Just on the basis of this post, if someone at MLSE can intelligently come out and say the same thing, that the name does not only reference a single team in Milan but an idea of a club repeated elsewhere, then I think I could accept the name. Just saw, funnily enough, a team in the Andorra league with Inter in it as well. If the argument is generic and not specific, if they make the effort to convince the AC Milan fans that they are NOT going against their colours, then I will give them credit.

But somehow I think they are not clued in enough for these subtleties, and will just let the qualms out there ride. And then wonder why the enthusiasm from those with Italian background in TO is less than warm.

Maybe some bright light at MLSE already has it figured out. The club's home kit will be a replica AC Milan's kit and it's away kit will be that of Juve. It's 3rd kit will Roma's. Scarf will be sold in all 3 club colours with the only the words "Toronto" on them.

What a weave you make when you pander to an ethnic group.

Would anyone believe them if they did say that? That was a point I made a long time ago in a post about expected level of success of the team here.....yes, there is a huge following for the sport here but it is, I am afraid, too "tribal".

Just in naming the team Inter I have already seen posts on boards saying "it is too Italian" from Brits and other groups and posts from non-Inter Italians saying "why Inter"....already the devoted soccer fans of Toronto are building their own set of excuses why they can't support this team.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Would anyone believe them if they did say that? That was a point I made a long time ago in a post about expected level of success of the team here.....yes, there is a huge following for the sport here but it is, I am afraid, too "tribal".

Just in naming the team Inter I have already seen posts on boards saying "it is too Italian" from Brits and other groups and posts from non-Inter Italians saying "why Inter"....already the devoted soccer fans of Toronto are building their own set of excuses why they can't support this team.

If I lived in Salt Lake I would have serious problems supporting a team trying to reference Real Madrid. Sorry, but it is true. Maybe I'd get over it, maybe I'd have to publically deride local management to get the irritation off and then go to games, wearing my old Addidas Barça shirt from 1994 (only one I own). But I doubt that in Utah there are any more than 500 Barça supporters, most of them being Mormons who had a good missionary spell here and caught the fever, or Catalans who were convinced by the Elders and Sister on some Mormon-related courses. So it is a bunch you can sacrifice in Utah, it is small and insignificant.

This is not the case in Toronto, where a lot of Italian teams have strong followings. I saw Barça's European Cup win over La Samp in Toronto, in an Italian neighbourhood on Telelatino, and the streets were full of Samp shirts. Which suggests that there might be a dozen or more well-supported Italian teams in Toronto, most of whom would not be at all sympathetic to Internazionale. Which is the worst spending team in the world over the past 15 years, or maybe the most-underperforming for budget team in the world over the period.

If I lived in Salt Lake I would have serious problems supporting a team trying to reference Real Madrid. Sorry, but it is true. Maybe I'd get over it, maybe I'd have to publically deride local management to get the irritation off and then go to games, wearing my old Addidas Barça shirt from 1994 (only one I own). But I doubt that in Utah there are any more than 500 Barça supporters, most of them being Mormons who had a good missionary spell here and caught the fever, or Catalans who were convinced by the Elders and Sister on some Mormon-related courses. So it is a bunch you can sacrifice in Utah, it is small and insignificant.

This is not the case in Toronto, where a lot of Italian teams have strong followings. I saw Barça's European Cup win over La Samp in Toronto, in an Italian neighbourhood on Telelatino, and the streets were full of Samp shirts. Which suggests that there might be a dozen or more well-supported Italian teams in Toronto, most of whom would not be at all sympathetic to Internazionale. Which is the worst spending team in the world over the past 15 years, or maybe the most-underperforming for budget team in the world over the period.

All interesting...all true...but, other than a common name, what will Inter Toronto FC have to do with Inter Milan? Why does their spending or anyone's idea on football in Italy matter to their ability to support a team of, primarily, Canadians playing a bunch of other teams made up of, primarily, Americans?

From the Toronto Star:

'Inter' name poses Real problem for club

T.O.'s MLS entry needs more inclusive moniker

Apr. 13, 2006. 01:00 AM

CATHAL KELLY

Major League Soccer is working very hard to get its new brand of pandering just right. Largely unable to interest mainstream America, the league has turned its sights on the ethnic fans most attached to the beautiful game.

So when Toronto's MLS franchise debuts in spring 2007, it seems it's going to do so brimming with Italian brio. It's been widely reported that the team will be called Inter Toronto FC, a name inspired by Serie A club Inter Milan. Team owner Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has neither confirmed nor denied the widespread rumour.

At first blush, this is a clear sop to the 200,000 or so members of Toronto's Italian community. But for every Inter fan in this city, there's an Italian Juventus, AC Milan or Roma supporter who won't like the idea one bit. It's more likely that MLSE's braintrust thought the name suited our multicultural make-up since Inter Milan was born as an immigrant experiment.

In the early 20th century, the Milan Cricket and Football Club didn't accept non-Italians as members. So in 1908 a group of unhappy Swiss players and some Italian rebels formed their own side. They named it Internazionale to celebrate its multinational character. Thus the nickname "Inter." The MCFC would go on to become their bitter modern rivals, AC Milan.

When MLS kicked off in 1996, it did so with team names like the Crew, the Mutiny and the Rapids — American names. After the 2004 season, the thinking shifted to accommodate the league's fastest growing fan base.

The Dallas Burn was renamed FC Dallas ("F" for futbol rather than football), acknowledging that the club's core support came from the Latino community. An expansion franchise aimed at Los Angeles's Spanish speakers was named Deportivo Chivas. Another in Utah, where Latinos make up more than one-tenth of the population, was dubbed Real Salt Lake. Most white Utahns, even the soccer fans, mistakenly pronounced it "Reel" instead of "Ray-al."

When the San Jose Earthquakes moved to Houston for the 2006 season, they tried a variation on the league's new theme. Officials christened the club Houston 1836 to mark the year of the city's birth. It's common for German sides to note the year of a club's creation in their names (e.g. Munich 1860, Bayer 04 Leverkusen). This time, the moniker blew up in their faces.

As in Dallas, L.A. and Salt Lake City, a large part of MLS's Houston strategy was to attract Latinos.

So when the team's target audience pointed out that 1836 also marked the year white Texans bloodily seceded from Mexico, it was cause for concern. When the issue spilled into the larger political debate of Texas, a state where one in three citizens claims Mexican ancestry, it became a crisis. Before it had played a game, the club was renamed Houston Dynamo.

That's not to suggest any sort of ethnic revolt is going to happen in Toronto. But naming the team Inter annoys non-Italian fans, Italian fans who don't like Inter and the vast sports-going public who has no idea what the name means. Even Inter Milan's fans could conceivably object to an upstart side equating itself with the Italian giant.

Appealing directly to Mexican-Americans in cities where Anglo locals politely ignore your product is one thing, but picking ethnic favourites in Toronto is all downside. Someone's bound to feel left out.

Also, aping the names of bigger clubs only calls attention to what MLS isn't — a European league.

In the end, the team name has to make a compromise between pleasing the relatively few knowledgeable local fans while not alienating the legion of others who might warm up to Toronto soccer, but need to be coaxed along gently.

And here's the thing about compromises — they usually bother someone.

Houston's compromise — Dynamo — echoes Dynamo Moscow. That club was named and controlled for many years by the Soviet secret police. Fortunately for MLS, Houston's eastern European émigré community doesn't have the clout to mess with Texas.

I'm upset. One more media type bashing the greatest game on earth. I'm writing to this so called journalist's editor to have her/him fired. MLSE should only be praised. Have dare she! Kevin Pipe should BAN her/him from ever reporting on the sport ever again. At the very least she should be scolded by all scarf wearing unionites.

It seems as though this name will never work unless MLSE makes it blatantly clear that:

1: This is NOT a link to Inter Milan. There are others with the Inter name already: Internacional de Porto Alegre, Inter Turku and ASK Inter Bratislava. Just like "United" is not a Manchester reference (Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield)

2. The name celebrates the multicultural side of the city - In the early 20th century, the Milan Cricket and Football Club didn't accept non-Italians as members. So in 1908 a group of unhappy Swiss players and some Italian rebels formed their own side. They named it Internazionale to celebrate its multinational character. Thus the nickname "Inter."

However, trying to use that history lesson without alienating some Italian-Canadians will be tricky.

My advice to Richard Peddie: Do yourself a favour and get someone with some kind of soccer knowledge to make the announcement and don't get anywhere near a microphone whenever you guys announce this...

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

I'm upset. One more media type bashing the greatest game on earth. I'm writing to this so called journalist's editor to have her/him fired. MLSE should only be praised. Have dare she! Kevin Pipe should BAN her/him from ever reporting on the sport ever again. At the very least she should be scolded by all scarf wearing unionites.

God forbid Journalists stop doing their job....a thought provoking and informed article. If we need another Yes-MAN we know where to find you G-MAN.

Archived