Inter Toronto FC - Toronto MLS clubs' new name?

MM2

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful - really, really, really awful. Good God that is so bad. Truly tragic. They have also applied for Northmen which is much much better. Not a pathetic rip-off a la Real Salt Lake. We will be a laughing stock if they use Inter.

Check out the trademark database at and search on Inter Toronto:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/app/cipo/trademarks/search/tmSearch.do?language=eng

I love the list of "wares" including underwear, leotards and diapers.

Sorry, but this stupid, stupid name will ruin MLSE's expected logo-laden leotard and diaper sales.

Please MLSE - I beg you not to use this name.

From a March 12th article on MLSE CEO Richard Peddie:

"A stickler when it comes to research, Peddie knows that many local teams -- with the exception of Steve Stavro's Toronto City of the 1960s -- have failed in the promotion of soccer. But as a calculating businessman, Peddie figured out that the new MLSEL team, yet to be named, has a good chance to succeed. "

Research? Are you telling me that "Inter Toronto" is the product of research? Morons.

I guess it could be worse.

I would have had no issues if the name of the club was Toronto International Football Club and they used "Inter-Toronto" as the nickname for marketing purposes. Inter Toronto FC comes across as a cheap rip off of Inter-Milan and has little significance to the internationalness of the city of Toronto

also, i personally don't fancy the Inter Toronto name. Since, i am a Juve supporter and Inter Milan being a dreaded arch rival, not to mention, i have friends/family around me that are huge Inter fans, it doesn't bode well for my reaction.

However, if that is the name then, either way, they got my support because it is better than supporting the Lynx and watching USL soccer.

No matter what name they chose, there was always going to be howls of derision & protests from people calling it the worst name ever. Its par for the course. Inter Toronto has been mooted from a long way back, not my choice but hardly anything as idiotic sounding as Real Salt Lake - I would agree with TOareaFan that its fits the city's identity far more than "Real" fits Salt Lake. If that is the name of course - I will still wait for an official announcement.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

there was a team that went by Toronto Internationals in the old CPSL 1983 season, folded halfway through the year.

Actually the team was called the Toronto Nationals, the Montreal team went by Inter-Montreal FC

Archived