Preliminary GC roster announced

Daniel

From Impactsoccer.com .

Of note: 9 Québec players!

Gardiens : Lars Hirschfeld (sans club), Kenny Stamatopoulous (Boden/SUÈ), Greg Sutton (Montreal Impact), Josh Wagenaar (Hartwick College/USA);

Défenseurs : Adam Braz (Montreal Impact), Gabriel Gervais (Montreal Impact), Nevio Pizzolitto (Montreal Impact), Chris Pozniak (Haugesund FK/NOR), Atiba Hutchinson (Helsingboro/SWE), Ante Jazic (FC Kuban/RUS), Tam Nsaliwa (Saarbucken/ALL), Kevin McKenna (Energie Cottus/ALL)

Médians : Patrice Bernier (Tromso/SUE), Jim Brennan (Norwich City/ENG), Julian DeGuzman (Deportivo La Coruna/ESP), Sandro Grande (Montreal Impact), Iain Hume (Tranmere Rovers/ANG), Daniel Imhof (St. Gallen/SUI), Patrick Leduc (Montreal Impact), Jaime Peters (Ipswich Town/ANG), Josh Simpson (Millwall/ANG), Johnny Sulentic (Saabrucken/ALL), Adrian Serioux (Millwall/ANG)

Attaquants : Stephen Ademolu (Trelleborgs FF/SUE), Dwayne DeRosario (San Jose Earthquakes/USA), Jason Jordan (Vancouver Whitecaps), Olivier Occean (Odd Grenland/NOR), Ali Gerba (Montreal Impact), Rocco Placentino (Cavese/ITA)

I REALLY like this roster. Looks like a strong team on paper. It may be a bit of a mishmash as far as cohesion is concerned, depending on how many of the newbies start. Lots of fresh legs and youth. Four keepers, including two new guys. Great roster picks. Only wish I could be there.

Its a much stronger squad than I expected.

Wonder why did they named four keepers? This cannot be the final squad. This may very well be a preliminary squad that doesn't take into consideration those who will not make themselves available.

Thats a total of 29 players. If I am not mistaken, the final roster should be 18-22

Not really sure what all this is about. Nine Impact players? Not surprising on a prelim. roster of 30 or so I guess.

Expect that roster to get real short real fast over the next couple of weeks.

Hmm, indeed. Nsaliwa, JB, Jazic, Hutch and The Guz all on board eh? Believe it when I see it.

Won't be surprised to see Hume, Big Kev, Serioux, Simpson, Peters or Occean. All good lads everyone. Just try to keep them out of a Canada shirt. Even for a "bull****" tourny like the Gold Cup.

Not much room for Impact players after that, eh Daniel. Bet you're lot will get their share in all the same. Good to see.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=3050

If you want to see other teams preliminary roster. It seems that the US will have a good squad.

It seems like Mike Franks didn't impress FY during this week camp in Florida or maybe they have a deal with Vancouver.

I like this selection, it will be interesting to see how we do this summer.

No Reda? Is he injured?

Klukowski's on that list.

Peeters and Wagenaar are on the list because the WYC end on July 2nd and Canada is likely to be out at that moment. The GC starts on July 7 or 8 I think.

I agree WF, Rob Friend should have been called, but I like the presense of Ademol.u

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Its a much stronger squad than I expected.

Wonder why did they named four keepers? This cannot be the final squad. This may very well be a preliminary squad that doesn't take into consideration those who will not make themselves available.

Thats a total of 29 players. If I am not mistaken, the final roster should be 18-22

The final roster, to be announced 15 days before the first match on July 6 (June 21), is to be composed of 23 players. So, we'll definitely see three Goalkeepers on the final list. Of these 23 players, only starters and 7 possible substitutes can dress for each match. 6 from Canada's provisional list have to be cut, but can be brought in on documentation proving matters such as injuries, before a team's first match.

The new GC regs were passed on June 6, and have just been posted on the CONCACAF site at:

http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/goldcup_e.pdf

" 6. Team Delegations and Final Roster

Each participating Association shall submit to the CONCACAF General

Secretariat its Final Delegation list of up to 30 persons, which may include up to 23 players, not later than 15 days prior to the first match of the Final Phase. Only these 23 players will (except in the case of force majeure recognized by the organizing committee for the CONCACAF Gold Cup) be permitted to compete in the Final Phase.

7. A listed player may only be substituted in the event of serious injury up until 24 hours before his team's first match, after CONCACAF has received a detailed medical assessment in English and only after acceptance by the CONCACAF Sports Medical Committee that the injury is sufficiently serious to prevent the player from taking part in the Competition. The National Association shall then immediately nominate the substitute and inform CONCACAF accordingly."

I think who ultimately is selected for forwards is the most interesting angle. DeRosario is obvious, and it seems that it's likely Occean will come regardless of the fact his club is still playing. Hume can play up front but after that, nobody has even one cap. I suspect that at least one and as many as two of Jordan, Gerba, Ademolu, and Placentino will be picked. Personally, I'd rather have Friend than any of those. Out of that list, I'd like to see Ademolu because to me he is such an unknown quantity. Jordan would be second choice.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I think who ultimately is selected for forwards is the most interesting angle. DeRosario is obvious, and it seems that it's likely Occean will come regardless of the fact his club is still playing. Hume can play up front but after that, nobody has even one cap. I suspect that at least one and as many as two of Jordan, Gerba, Ademolu, and Placentino will be picked. Personally, I'd rather have Friend than any of those. Out of that list, I'd like to see Ademolu because to me he is such an unknown quantity. Jordan would be second choice.

Jason

Yes, I agree Rob Friend would be GREAT to have. I am hoping he gets invited but if not, can someone please tell me why he wouldn't? He is in FAR better form than Occean!!

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Yes, I agree Rob Friend would be GREAT to have. I am hoping he gets invited but if not, can someone please tell me why he wouldn't? He is in FAR better form than Occean!!

Maybe he was asked and declined to stay with his club?

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I think who ultimately is selected for forwards is the most interesting angle. DeRosario is obvious, and it seems that it's likely Occean will come regardless of the fact his club is still playing. Hume can play up front but after that, nobody has even one cap. I suspect that at least one and as many as two of Jordan, Gerba, Ademolu, and Placentino will be picked.

If the final roster is 23 players (which would be 5 more than any other Gold Cup) then I'd expect that at least two will be retained. Obviously one of the keepers will be cut, at least one striker, midfielder & defender, leaving two more cuts to be made.

Very surprised to see Julian listed, but I suspect that despite this we still may not see him selected due to club committment (unless Spain begins their training season later than the others).

Yeah, Julian was probably listed as a "we'll put him down anyway & hope we can get him" selection, rather than one that is expected. He's a good enough player to "waste" a selection (as a high risk) when you are cutting 6 and going with 23 anyway.

Archived