Match Thread: World Cup Group B - Matchday 3 - Canada v Australia - July 31, 2023 - 6 am ET / 3 am PT / 8 pm local time

Y'all just a damn disappointment!!! Like losing to Australia 4-0...WAKE THE HELL UP!!! THIS TEAM WINS A GOLD MEDAL IN TOKYO AND DOESN'T EVEN GET OUT OF THE GROUP IN AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND!!! What the hell are we doin? Like seriously what the hell are we doin? 2027 FIFA Women's World Cup...may as well focus on that now or even 2024 Olympics because this fuckin shit performance here in 2023 ain't it!!! 

So many of the other games I've watched had technical players, noticeable tactics, and good team play. We seem to have lacked in all three areas.  A very disappointing tournament. 

I'll say something I've said before(including this thread): the Olympic gold was a tournament victory yes, but to have won it with two wins and four draws said much about our luck and less about our quality. I mean, we had a +2 GD for crying out loud!  And winning that was great but it hid a lot of the problems that were now seeing in this team.

Perhaps we need a "are we overrating ourselves" thread. 

Edited by RJB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

So many of the other games I've watched had technical players, noticeable tactics, and good team play. We seem to have lacked in all three areas.  A very disappointing tournament. 

This is exactly my thought as well. 

Only got to watch some of the game because I had a meeting with the boss this morning, but this is indicative of where our program is at right now.   I think we got very lucky at Tokyo and our inflated world ranking is a product of historical results that no longer apply.  We won many games on the back of a player who was at the top o the world game, but she is aging out and there is no clear successor. 

Other countries have gotten more technically proficient while we have stagnated.  Watching teams like France or the US play you see a level of sophistication that is simply absent from our game.  Maybe we have occasional flashes of good play, and we can still play attractive footy against weak opponents, but against the world's best teams our lack of collective quality is exposed.  Not sure if that is a Priestman issue or a player issue - but we seem to have a squad of individuals that play at a high level so it may indicate coaching.    

Unfortunately, I think it will be challenging for us to make that quantum step back up to elite level in the short term.  Domestic pro teams would certainly help build the developmental structure but I am not convinced that Project 8 will survive.  I always thought that the MLS model where we have a couple of teams in NWSL was a more sustainable model for women's soccer in this country.  The reality is that if this is what the best of the best look like in terms of Canadian talent, I can't see people consistently shelling out $$ to watch a diluted version of what we just saw.  

Fack...