Midfield Depth

Shway

Plain put....a lot of these guys got us to our first World Cup in over 30 years and we all appreciate it, but we have a lot of them past their prime while some new young blood are emerging from their very same clubs/league that could surpass them.

1. Eustaquio (26)
2. Kone (21)
3. Hutchinson (40)
4. Osorio (30)
5. Kaye (28)
6. Wotherspoon (33)
7.  Loturi (21)
8. Piette (28)
9. Fraser (25)
10. M. Choinière (24)

I think by summer time this could all change, like Atiba dropping a few ranks, and Fraser dropping completing out (that's if he doesn't have a change of scenery real quick)

Potential movers...
Priso (20), Metcalfe (24) , Bustos (26), 

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Plain put....a lot of these guys got us to our first World Cup in over 30 years and we all appreciate it, but we have a lot of them past their prime while some new young blood are emerging from their very same clubs/league that could surpass them.

1. Eustaquio (26)
2. Kone (21)
3. Hutchinson (40)
4. Osorio (30)
5. Kaye (28)
6. Wotherspoon (33)
7.  Loturi (21)
8. Piette (28)
9. Fraser (25)
10. M. Choinière (24)

I think by summer time this could all change, like Atiba dropping a few ranks, and Fraser dropping completing out (that's if he doesn't have a change of scenery real quick)

Potential movers...

I think you’re forgetting Zouhir and Saliba. And Nelson, if we consider him a central midfielder.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think we will see a core of Staq/Oso/Kone going forward with Piette, MAK, Spoony hanging around for the near future.

It's up to Smith, Nelson, Loturi, Priso, Zaouhir and Saliba to develop into what we are all hoping for.

Not to mention the likes of Batyrev who are at high levels but not playing too much.

Loturi is playing far more regularly than Spoony in the same league at a similar position. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

1. Eustaquio (26)
2. Kone (21)
3. Hutchinson (40)
4. Osorio (30)
5. Kaye (28)
6. Wotherspoon (33)
7.  Loturi (21)
8. Piette (28)
9. Fraser (25)
10. M. Choinière (24)

Potential movers...

Good post idea. Midfield depth is something I have been concerned about for a while. 

I think the ranking is mostly fine as you've put it, though if I were being picky I would put Piette in 6th in front of Wotherspoon (7), and I would drop Loturi out of the top 10, since he's never been to camp. Then, I would put Nelson at 8 behind Wotherspoon and Fraser (9) and Choiniere (10) would round it out. 

In the "Potential Movers" section, I would put Loturi near or at the top of the list. Priso is right to be there, as are Metcalfe and Bustos. Baldisimo should be part of this conversation as well, along with Kerr arguably, since he played there last season for periods and being a young guy we can say his position is not yet defined and thus he can arguably be thought of as potential depth at this stage. Someone mentioned the MTL kids like Zouhir, that's fine with me. Rea as well should be in this mix, possibly. The longer this gets the better I feel about our situation, but we could benefit from someone else having a Kone-like rise this year. My bet is on Nelson and I am happy with how Priso has started. Never saw the Seattle-Colorado game, but skimming through the comments it looked positive. 

Two more wildcards could be Teibert and Paton. 

Teibert is still at a decent age where he could possibly factor in here. Paton is a complete unknown but has the potential to jump right into that top-10 if he gets his career back on track soon.  

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Loturi is playing far more regularly than Spoony in the same league at a similar position. 

Loturi also hasn't factored for Canada yet. Hopefully in March, if not June/July. Spoony is playing for the better club as well, albeit just marginally better at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The longer this gets the better I feel about our situation, but we could benefit from someone else having a Kone-like rise this year. My bet is on Nelson and I am happy with how Priso has started. Never saw the Seattle-Colorado game, but skimming through the comments it looked positive.

Saliba is the guy I would pick for a breakout season. After playing in the PLSQ last year, he started CF Montréal’s first game, ahead of several other guys on the roster. And he has just turned 19.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

1. Eustaquio (26)
2. Kone (21)
3. Hutchinson (40)
4. Osorio (30)
5. Kaye (28)
6. Wotherspoon (33)
7.  Loturi (21)
8. Piette (28)
9. Fraser (25)
10. M. Choinière (24)

Potential movers...

If we're going to flesh that list out a little more:

• Raposo (23) will likely see some time as an 8 and as a 10 in Sartini's 4-3-2-1 this year. Sartini intends to use him primarily as a left back, but in week 1 he took over for Gressel as the right-sided 8 in the last 15 minutes. He's going to bounce around the field, but he's first or second cover for multiple positions, and he should see significant minutes in one way or another.
  • Baldisimo (22) will have every opportunity to find time on a bad Earthquakes side. It never quite worked in Vancouver, but the Quakes double pivot suits his game better. On paper, he was subbed in as a 10 for the last few minutes against Atlanta, but I'm hoping they use him more as a deep lying playmaker. His biggest strength is spraying balls to the wings from deep - something that was not really utilized by Vanni does-not-believe-in-wingers Sartini, but suits San Jose and Canada's personnel very well. If (big if) he can up his game defensively, he will start moving up the depth chart.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

1. Eustaquio (26)
2. Kone (21)
3. Hutchinson (40)
4. Osorio (30)
5. Kaye (28)
6. Wotherspoon (33)
7.  Loturi (21)
8. Piette (28)
9. Fraser (25)
10. M. Choinière (24)

Potential movers...

I'd personally rate Piette higher on this list because he's still got a specific skillset that keeps him a useful member of the squad. Even if other players are more likely to be pencilled into a starting 11, he's still probably more useful for specific defensive game plans or a tactical switch off the bench.

For my money Kaye has also dropped down this list below Wotherspoon and Piette.

13 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

I'd personally rate Piette higher on this list because he's still got a specific skillset that keeps him a useful member of the squad. Even if other players are more likely to be pencilled into a starting 11, he's still probably more useful for specific defensive game plans or a tactical switch off the bench.

For my money Kaye has also dropped down this list below Wotherspoon and Piette.

Agreed.  The better the opponent, the higher Piette is on the list.  He's the best shutdown man we have.  Wouldn't necessarily play him vs the minnows, but he would've been in my 11 at the WC.

Most podcast take ever to rate Loturi over Piette, lol, but I think our general midfield depth is not too shabby. Eustaquio is world class, I think Kone should provide a lot of what Atiba has in the past, my only worry is about getting that third solid mid- I don’t have too much faith in Kaye, skittish on Osorio after hearing about his last injury recovery + age. Piette is very solid and very underrated, but his skill set is very specific. If Loturi can at least get up to Kaye levels of production, then I think we’re set, and I think those are relatively modest expectations for him over the next few years. Eustaquio/Kone/Loturi/Piette would be a pretty solid group to take to Copa America.

27 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Most podcast take ever to rate Loturi over Piette, lol, but I think our general midfield depth is not too shabby. Eustaquio is world class, I think Kone should provide a lot of what Atiba has in the past, my only worry is about getting that third solid mid- I don’t have too much faith in Kaye, skittish on Osorio after hearing about his last injury recovery + age. Piette is very solid and very underrated, but his skill set is very specific. If Loturi can at least get up to Kaye levels of production, then I think we’re set, and I think those are relatively modest expectations for him over the next few years. Eustaquio/Kone/Loturi/Piette would be a pretty solid group to take to Copa America.

I am waiting for Loturi to make the step up before I predict him getting into the Copa America squad. For starters, he's not better than Osorio at the moment, nor do I expect him to be next year. Nelson is ahead of Loturi in my books as well. Rosenborg is stronger than Ross County and for club Nelson's role will be bigger than Loturi's. Moreover, Nelson would arguably be a better fit for that midfield due to his dribbling and attacking instincts.  

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am waiting for Loturi to make the step up before I predict him getting into the Copa America squad. For starters, he's not better than Osorio at the moment, nor do I expect him to be next year. Nelson is ahead of Loturi in my books as well. Rosenborg is stronger than Ross County and for club Nelson's role will be bigger than Loturi's. Moreover, Nelson would arguably be a better fit for that midfield due to his dribbling and attacking instincts.  

I just used copa america because it's far enough in the future that it conceivably gives a guy like Loturi enough time to develop into the quality of player we'll need. I actually forgot about Nelson for a second- I just went with the list in the original post. Agreed on Osorio, but we haven't seen much of him after his last injury which seems to have really messed with his mental, so looking a few years into the future, I don't know that he should be the assumed guy, even though he's definitely our third best MF on paper right now. Point being that we've got an excellent best midfielder, our second best is shaping up to be a bonafide NT starter for years to come, and if we can get one guy that can give us what Kaye does, or even better what Osorio provides, we're going to be in very good shape here.

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I would argue Loturi has done enough to earn a call up for March Nations League games.

Nelson's season doesn't start until April I believe.

A guy like Fraser is now a sub in Belgian 2nd tier.

A call up, sure, but in terms of being an important player for us, I think that’ll take a while, still. 

5 hours ago, costarg said:

Agreed.  The better the opponent, the higher Piette is on the list.  He's the best shutdown man we have.  Wouldn't necessarily play him vs the minnows, but he would've been in my 11 at the WC.

Think this theory is debunked with the reality he didn't step on the field at WC. 
I think what he's known for "lock down" is dwindling due to his mobility.

Piette is only 28, he's been around for ever. The reality I think is that there's a lot of him. As much as I think Kaye is regressing, I still think he's all round better than Piette.

If we continue to keep giving these (I say this loosely) mediocre form opportunities, we'll never know if they can be a Kone.
I'm just wondering when we became to good for calling up SPFL players? 

29 minutes ago, Shway said:

If we continue to keep giving these (I say this loosely) mediocre form opportunities, we'll never know if they can be a Kone.
I'm just wondering when we became to good for calling up SPFL players? 

SPFL is terrible outside of Rangers and Celtic and Ross County is particularly poor. I wouldn’t say we’re “too good” to call in a player on that club (we’ve recently undoubtedly called players from worse clubs) but it’s certainly not what we should aspire to. It would be one thing if he were the top player on the club but that doesn’t seem to be the case 

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

SPFL is terrible outside of Rangers and Celtic and Ross County is particularly poor. I wouldn’t say we’re “too good” to call in a player on that club (we’ve recently undoubtedly called players from worse clubs) but it’s certainly not what we should aspire to. It would be one thing if he were the top player on the club but that doesn’t seem to be the case 

I mean I’m with you on the quality of the league. I’ve been told to chill out……..

We should aspire to getting guys on the stage to get them to better clubs. The national team plays a great importance on that.

The year Iceland made a run, and a lot of their guys made jumps to bigger squads.

All Im saying is, we need to start rotating the young talent in or else we’ll face this current success being an anomaly. 

Outside of US & Mexico, we are the only Concacaf nation that doesn’t do this and in the current state of things we don’t need all of our players playing at Barcelona, Juventus, or United in order for them to experience a national team camp. 

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

Loturi is 21, he’s playing well at a level we regularly call from, he seems to be constantly improving, and his brother recently switched to the nation of their birth. I wouldn’t wait too long to incorporate him into the group 

31 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I'm surprised that Sean Rea's name hasn't been mentioned. By the end of this season, he'll rocket up that list.

He wasn’t for me because I think he’s more of an attacker/winger.