MLS Match Updates and Talk 2023

Big_M

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Switch to the subway at Union Station. York Lions stadium is a short stroll from a subway station. It's definitely not mission impossible to get there by public transport if you are as keen on the league as you claim and have switched your money to it from MLS.

It's not like Esther Shiner or Centennial stadiums back in the CSL era (or for the Lynx) when a bus transfer and stopping at what seemed like every second lamppost thereafter was still needed after reaching close the end of the subway line.

York United are playing at the location where the CSA and Argonauts were going to build the U-20 World Cup stadium before the Argos pulled out after Rogers offered them improved terms to cohabit with the Blue Jays and Kevan Pipe started declaring that there was no plan B. It's reasonably accessible both by subway and the 400 series highway system.

Edit: sure I have mentioned this plenty of times on here but I am not currently based in London, Ont. for work reasons. Haven't been to a TFC game for closing in on 15 years because I usually only get back there around Christmas and New Year. Will get back to living there eventually though because it's where I plan to retire.

The real hypocrites on here are the vociferous CanPL advocates from the GTA who post a constant barrage of anti-MLS posts but still appear to have TFC season tickets and I strongly suspect don't even actively support York United. A bit like all the people in Edmonton who signed petitions pledging to buy FCE season tickets if the Faths brought them back and then turned their nose up at the reality of CanPL.

Actions don't always match rhetoric in other words but God forbid anyone suggests an economic model is needed that fits what people will actually do rather than what they say they will do.

Only hypocrite on here is you dumbass.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Love to act like a know it all…

6B2EC5FD-3A51-4E85-AEFE-10A38E520CC2.thumb.jpeg.57163454f0a58c93aeba13beba584723.jpeg1F07CFA6-66F8-4D4F-8FE6-A4FE5EDA72F4.thumb.jpeg.ebec59a5b673c2b24459c969084a41fd.jpeg

A near 2hrs to get to a game not accounting for the delays that always happen with the TTC.

4hrs total trek time is crazy!

Driving is the only comparison, but as i stated I don’t like driving to games for various reasons. 

But I’m sure you’ll know a better way.  @Ozzie_the_parrot.

The guy who won't drive from London to watch CPL pointing fingers at others 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

...A near 2hrs to get to a game not accounting for the delays that always happen with the TTC.

What am I supposed to not know? I clearly described that you would switch to the subway at Union Station. I was already well aware of all of this. Meanwhile your own graphic reveals that it's a 38 minute drive away, while BMO Field is 42 minutes. If you choose not to drive that's your business but you can't reasonably claim that you don't have a local team when that's the driving time involved. That's nothing drastically out of the ordinary as a regular commute in GTA terms.

22 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What am I supposed to not know? I clearly described that you would switch to the subway at Union Station. I was already well aware of all of this. Meanwhile your own graphic reveals that it's a 38 minute drive away, while BMO Field is 42 minutes. If you choose not to drive that's your business but you can't reasonably claim that you don't have a local team when that's the driving time involved. That's nothing drastically out of the ordinary as a regular commute in GTA terms.

Okay you win Ozzie, you win. 
The fact that you mention the drive even though I specifically stated that I don't drive to any games is my preference. I supported TFC with seasons tickets for years, and I went by transit to every game. Possibly because it was easily accessibly for me. 

However I would expect that someone from the GTA would know that a York Region team wouldn't be considered a local team for someone from Durham Region....since we are splitting hairs.

Anyways I bet I'll be at 5x more games then you will though to your equivalent "local" team. 

Edited by Shway

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^real reason crowds are small for the GTA team is the prevalence of this mentality. 

Wellllll yeaaaaaaaaa dumb asss.  If you are from the GTA (which I think you just lived here, and aren't actually from there the way how stupid you sound) is one of the most populous places in North America. So there's an expectation that things are done "proper, big" or PROFESSIONAL (Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays) which I said it didn't feel like it. I said it was comparable to a League 1 Ontario game...which I'll assume you haven't been to one of those either.

I also said, Yorks issue is that they are competing with a product that provides a professional experience in TFC so people will always have that experience to always easily reference and compare the cost.

If you haven't been to a York game then STFU. Matterfact if you haven't been to any CPL game please STFU. 
You're just a pest at this point. 
I went to an FC Edmonton home game  in 2021 and the overall experience was better than the one I had at York United and the team was already folding. One of the main reasons was because I felt like I was at an actual stadium....as low budget as Clarke Stadium is. 

My last time responding to this roach who just talks out of his ass and not out of any recent experience. 

Edited by Shway

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

TFC v Atlanta is one of the free games this week.

Montreal v DC is on TSN and RDS.

Vancouver v Austin is behind the pay wall.

Tomorrow the LA derby is on Fox and TSN 

I'd be more interested in watching my regional team, the Whitecaps, than the LA derby but if only that is what is available to me, so be it.

Streaming is easy once you get used to it and cable TV isn't free either, so give it a few years and I don't think the Apple angle will be what gets in the way for most people.

Having almost all the games on a Saturday evening means I likely won't be watching complete MLS games at all this season and will stick exclusively to the youtube highlights because I am otherwise engaged at that time, so CanPL and Onesoccer it is for streaming this season because they have at least some of their games on at a time I can easily tune in. The soccer is definitely not as good but it's still watchable.

Hopefully MLS and Apple will realize they made a mistake and move away from that scheduling policy because the norm internationally has been heading away from having all the games on at around the same time.

It’s 2023 and watching sports and a lot of things is through apps like this . The major problem I have with this apple deal is what many have alluded to already having most of the games scheduled for the same time and day . So people are paying for an app where you can only watch one game live at a time , which sucks. Hopefully the scheduling will be the first thing they change next year , because you are not getting more eyeballs with scheduling like this . It amazes me sometimes that you get some highly educated people with all sorts of degrees making bone head decisions like this .

30 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It’s 2023 and watching sports and a lot of things is through apps like this . The major problem I have with this apple deal is what many have alluded to already having most of the games scheduled for the same time and day . So people are paying for an app where you can only watch one game live at a time , which sucks. Hopefully the scheduling will be the first thing they change next year , because you are not getting more eyeballs with scheduling like this . It amazes me sometimes that you get some highly educated people with all sorts of degrees making bone head decisions like this .

They also seem to have moved everything later.  I used be able to catch the eastern Canadian teams once in while when they played afternoon games there.  But everything today is past midnight for us. Not that I am the target market but still...