CF Montreal - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

4 hours ago, mtlfan said:

Lots of chaos already for 2023, Nancy leaving, Grande hire and fire, and now Kamara asking for a trade never mind the loss of three top players. 

Concerning Kamara, it's just par for the course.  The guy always moves quickly.  He's like, at what now, 15 teams? 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Getting ready for the upcoming season with his club, CF Montreal, unless he is nursing an injury.

No media availability since back from World Cup.  Rumours of him leaving etc.  but yes he was in camp at least 

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2023-01-25/camp-d-entrainement/le-cf-montreal-et-ses-elephants-dans-la-piece.php

For those who can't read French there is a lot of what we discussed here (Miller, Kamara, Tores) but one think that stroke me was when they were talking about Lossada being a demanding coach: they mentioned he is now actively participating to his stuff so to speak. Like, yes, he is gonna tell the players they are gonna run 10K but he is gonna actively run it with them.

Maybe I am too optimistic here but it does feel like someone who has learned from what has happened in DC and is tweaking his style accordingly, going from a drill sergeant to a ''I am asking a lot but nothing that I am not willing to do myself'' kind of leader.

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2023-01-25/camp-d-entrainement/le-cf-montreal-et-ses-elephants-dans-la-piece.php

For those who can't read French there is a lot of what we discussed here (Miller, Kamara, Tores) but one think that stroke me was when they were talking about Lossada being a demanding coach: they mentioned he is now actively participating to his stuff so to speak. Like, yes, he is gonna tell the players they are gonna run 10K but he is gonna actively run it with them.

Maybe I am too optimistic here but it does feel like someone who has learned from what has happened in DC and is tweaking his style accordingly, going from a drill sergeant to a ''I am asking a lot but nothing that I am not willing to do myself'' kind of leader.

Good article, been a while since I read french.

Makes a lot more sense  I guess Losada has a bad reputation in the league, and that's why there has been a mass exodus from the team.

21 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

Good article, been a while since I read french.

Makes a lot more sense  I guess Losada has a bad reputation in the league, and that's why there has been a mass exodus from the team.

Honestly, the mass exodus thing is massively overstated and not on Losada IMO.

Mihailovich, Kone and Johnston were set for a move up and got them, earning good money for the club. That's the Impact actually being successful.

Then outside of that you have Breza and Corbo, which the club was basically done with, and Kamara and Torres as the two unplanned ones. Loosing Kamara is a bummer but honestly it isn't the end of the world: there was no guarantee he'd repeat what he did last year and it isn't like he is the future of the club... While Torres' overall stock inside the team, even if was still not as bad as Breza and Corbo, was slipping. 

Obviously Waterman and Miller might go too but except for one single article every single rumors for them was talking about a move up, which is once again gonna be good for the club's finance. 

Overall its far from the disaster people portray it to be IMO. Most of the pieces who where lost have in-house replacement and those who did not were reasonably well compensated with Campbell being there as a replacement for either Miller or Waterman if they leave and Herrera presumably taking Brault-Guillard's old role as a solid replacement now that Johnston is of to Celtic. 

Sure, some of the pieces don't have the quality of what was lost but that's the cycle of teams who don't have butloads of cash like TFC, sadly. And it hasn't prevent the Impact from doing well for itself recently aniway... :P The biggest missing piece is a clear replacement for Mihailovich IMO (Rea isn't quite there for me) but the off season isn't over and I have hope they can find somebody to step in him and Kamara's shoes, altough probably not to the same level then Mihailovich, at least at first.

Edited by phil03

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2023-01-27/kei-kamara-s-explique/ce-n-est-pas-encore-un-au-revoir.php

For those who can't read French it's an article about the Kamara situation where he gives his version of what happened. Essentially the team and he had a different take on what he should get, especially the duration of the contract, but he says he is still gonna do his best for the team as long as the contract last and he hasn't been traded. Moreover, he states he loves the city and hopes they can find a deal (the article is literally titled its not a goodbye yet).

Honestly, if he'd be 34 I'd make happen right away but its the fact that he is 38 that does make me, and probably Gervais too, more leery here...

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

So hard to back this team.  Kamal was in a World Cup Ffs.  Piette too. And Pantemis. 

media has no access?   Hardly any idea if Rea is progressing as out midfield option. 

Might be more of a language issue (assuming you mostly consume english-media yourself, of course, and tbf it isn't like french-language media cover TFC and the Whitecaps all that much either... There is progress to be made on both sides in how they are covering club Soccer) but I can find plenty of french articles on the team and remarks from players and coaching staff. 

Haven't heard a tone on Rea either but apparently there is a kid, Saliba, playing in a similar position who is attracted attention so I imagine that must affect his (Rea's) chances.

Edited by phil03

• 3 weeks later...

So quiet here.....

I've been busy, started a new job and bought a new house in the past 3 months, add to that my 3 & 6 yr old daughters keeping me busy.  What's everyone elses excuse???

Quite a bit of continuity as well as some major changes for CFM.  Lost 3 big pieces, but also held onto some important parts and added some players that may very well have that x-factor.  Hernan Losado is a big question mark, however I have no doubt in Renards ability to build a solid team and roster.  This season can go either way, but a solid base is in place.

58 minutes ago, costarg said:

So quiet here.....

I've been busy, started a new job and bought a new house in the past 3 months, add to that my 3 & 6 yr old daughters keeping me busy.  What's everyone elses excuse???

Quite a bit of continuity as well as some major changes for CFM.  Lost 3 big pieces, but also held onto some important parts and added some players that may very well have that x-factor.  Hernan Losado is a big question mark, however I have no doubt in Renards ability to build a solid team and roster.  This season can go either way, but a solid base is in place.

The MLS sub-forum has always been kind of dead

2 hours ago, costarg said:

So quiet here.....

Most Montreal fans are spending their time in the TFC thread and TFC youth and ex-youth player threads bashing TFC's track record on youth development, which in a way I kinda respect coming from a Montreal fan. Especially with the lack of info this pre-season.

There's not a lot of news to talk about. Might explain the crickets. OneSoccer's new offering 'OneNation' had a good segment on Montreal this week with Monsieur Bernier. Plus I suspect at least half the fan base aren't going to go on a completely English-speaking forum. Even MLS is slow on the uptake. A number of people are excited about young Sean Rea yet he isn't even on the roster for MLS Fantasy. Hoping for another good season myself.

Edited by Ed_S

19 hours ago, Ed_S said:

There's not a lot of news to talk about. Might explain the crickets. OneSoccer's new offering 'OneNation' had a good segment on Montreal this week with Monsieur Bernier. Plus I suspect at least half the fan base aren't going to go on a completely English-speaking forum. Even MLS is slow on the uptake. A number of people are excited about young Sean Rea yet he isn't even on the roster for MLS Fantasy. Hoping for another good season myself.

The other, usual forums became so toxic that I'm trying to stay away!  So negative it sucks the joy out of being a fan.