CF Montreal - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just saw this- I was in the supporters section, I think 102? Behind where we score in the second half. 

Was in 124 but moved to 132 at the start of the second. Might’ve crossed some of you guys

Good work by Montreal according to Bogert at the Athletic.

Most confusing trade: Miami fleeces Montreal
I have never got more texts from executives around the league asking if I made a typo in my initial report than when Inter Miami and CF Montreal completed their deal earlier this month.

You must have it wrong. Miami couldn’t have gotten Kamal Miller *AND* $1.3 million GAM for Bryce Duke and Ari Lassiter, right?

Best managerial hire: Wilfried Nancy, Columbus Crew

The total package of what Wilfried Nancy brings to the Columbus Crew, and the complete shift of the culture he replaced, makes him the best 2023 hire so far.

Nancy has the Crew playing some of the most aesthetically-pleasing soccer in the league and they are picking up results already. His player development expertise has resurrected Alexandru Matan’s Crew career as well as building up young players like Aidan Morris, Will Sands, Mo Farsi, Jacen Russell-Rowe and more. All of this adds value in the literal trade/transfer sense, but the fact that all these players are on relatively cheap deals. also adds value to the salary cap. The cheat code in MLS is getting more from less.

https://theathletic.com/4455608/2023/04/26/mls-transfer-window-superlatives/

13 hours ago, jonovision said:

They're not world beaters yet but perhaps it makes sense that a team with a new manager that turned over half of its roster would take a bit longer to get rolling.

They definitely look better in every sense, playing a few games at home seems to have done them a world of good.  Lassiter and Duke have brought a whole other dimension to the 11.  That Miller trade isn't looking so terrible a few games in. 

They stand quietly at 4 wins now.  

Edited by costarg

14 minutes ago, costarg said:

They definitely look better in every sense, playing a few games at home seems to have done them a world of good.  Lassiter and Duke have brought a whole other dimension to the 11.  That Miller trade isn't looking so terrible a few games in. 

They stand quietly at 4 wins now.  

4 wins in MLS, and 4 wins in a row in all comps.

Man they sure take a lot of heat from Kilbane/DeG though.  I missed the first half, started watching at halftime but caught it on replay this am.  From the tounge lashing they got at halftime I thought they were down 3 goals and not in a 0-0- game against a club above them in the standings.  They were shaky and got outplayed in the first half, but they also frustrated Orlando and kept a clean sheet until the subs came on and did their thing.  Slowly building the confidence to grind out results, and turn their season around.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Man they sure take a lot of heat from Kilbane/DeG though.  I missed the first half, started watching at halftime but caught it on replay this am.  From the tounge lashing they got at halftime I thought they were down 3 goals and not in a 0-0- game against a club above them in the standings.  They were shaky and got outplayed in the first half, but they also frustrated Orlando and kept a clean sheet until the subs came on and did their thing.  Slowly building the confidence to grind out results, and turn their season around.  

I thought the commentary from those two peanut gallery muppets was way over the top.  I thought Orlando looked a very dangerous side and this was no where near the performance Montreal had compared to their Stade Saputo home opener, but perhaps the broacaster wanted more of an edgy narrative from the commentary.

Sometimes, when things aren't clicking, you've just got to keep grinding and eventually things might go your way, as they did here.

On 4/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, costarg said:

Nah, not buying it.  Fitness is the issue here.

Maybe all they needed was a coach who was dedicated to getting their asses in shape? Have heard from multiple players who've moved from the MLS to basically anywhere in Europe that MLS training doesn't even come close to the same intensity. Anyways, early days still but definitely seems like his young (and cheap) squad is responding quite positively. 

11 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Maybe all they needed was a coach who was dedicated to getting their asses in shape? Have heard from multiple players who've moved from the MLS to basically anywhere in Europe that MLS training doesn't even come close to the same intensity. Anyways, early days still but definitely seems like his young (and cheap) squad is responding quite positively. 

You're bang on.  Seems to be the case here.  They looked so slow and groggy the first games, it was very alarming.  I didn't see how they'd cope with two matches per week.  Glad to see I was wrong here, hope it continues. 

Losada also understands he needs to use his bench, which is nice when you demand so much from your players.

50 minutes ago, masster said:

Very poor turn of events! A little brawl, and then you turn around and punish a whole slew of people who had nothing to do with it. On such short notice when travel is involved as well?

Given the history of violent attacks outside the stadium in Montreal, I'd expect that this is partly out of safety concerns for Toronto FC supporters, as much is it is about punishment.

That said, there's still a lot of publicly available, surprisingly cheap, tickets on their website - so there's nothing stopping anyone who is travelling, and not wearing bright red, from getting to the match.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Given the history of violent attacks outside the stadium in Montreal, I'd expect that this is partly out of safety concerns for Toronto FC supporters, as much is it is about punishment.

If you are referring to the events that occurred August 27th 2021, which led to the banishment of the entire ultras section in Montréal, TFC fans were the aggressors.

I have videos, one day I’ll leak them.

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

If you are referring to the events that occurred August 27th 2021, which led to the banishment of the entire ultras section in Montréal, TFC fans were the aggressors.

I have videos, one day I’ll leak them.

Somehow, I'm not even aware of them. I'm thinking of events in the previous two decades. There's been more than one incident when a couple of non-involved Toronto fans were attacked.

But that's not the point. Stuff has happened. Safety says don't create a situation 4 days later that could lead to injury.

Everyone needs to stop the blame game, and name/shame the filth on both sides.

Who did what first doesn't matter. Toronto fans don't need to react violently, even if a couple idiots do something idiotic. And vice-versa.