Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

35 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I haven't seen an injury update for Valour lately. One would imagine that Jean-Baptiste starting one of the next two matches is a possibility. Gutierrez returns from suspension. De Brienne is the real question mark remaining for tonight.

The CPL site preview predicts the following starting XI, although if they got it 100% right I think it would be the first time:

Valour FC: Yesli; Baquero, Pianelli, Samaké, Campbell; Sánchez, Gutiérrez, Polisi; Williams, Ulloa, Ponce

Frankly I'd be surprised (but pleased!) with a starting XI that doesn't include one of Siaj or Novak.

Sanchez, Guti and Polisi don't really look to advance the ball and attack enough. Last year we had  Rea who was offensively dynamic from CM. This year, there's definitely not the same dynamism at CM. It seems like its back to hit it wide and hope for a cross or for the winger to try to go 1v1.

14 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Sanchez, Guti and Polisi don't really look to advance the ball and attack enough. Last year we had  Rea who was offensively dynamic from CM. This year, there's definitely not the same dynamism at CM. It seems like its back to hit it wide and hope for a cross or for the winger to try to go 1v1.

I think Ohin is the one that would have been counted upon to be that guy. He's a bit erratic at times but certainly doesn't lack enthusiasm for getting forward. I liked Williams as an attacking CM in the previous match.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Valour FC: Yesli; Baquero, Pianelli, Samaké, Campbell; Sánchez, Gutiérrez, Polisi; Williams, Ulloa, Ponce

I like Williams as a attacking MF (taking Polisi's spot), Siaj(?) taking Williams place up front.

AJB will be ready for a start soon, if not this game.

Assuming de Brienne, Haynes and Ohin all still injured.  Niyongibire will still be in transit (to Winnipeg).

26 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Obvious pre-season concern: Who will score this year? Incoming attackers have underwhelming CV's.

So far absolutely no one is the answer.

Anyone with a brain saw this coming.

You might not consider Niyongabire and Williams to be attackers but I think both have been good signings. The others, trash. Ponce looked lively-ish tonight.

Wazzi more dramatic in his ways, though he doesn't look as though he knows what his plan is sometimes when he gets himself into opportunities.  He is, I think, a better that decent signing who we've yet to see the best of.

Have to say I'm quite happy with Williams play.  Done more than his share in creating/supporting opportunities.  Has an eye for the field and a bit  of talent in those boots.  You'll never be able to say he didn't give an honest shift either.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/it-was-good-to-be-defensively-sound-but-we-felt-there-were-opportunities-to-be-a-little-more-aggressive-going-forward-and-we-missed-out-on-them

"Valour welcomes back speedy winger Pacifique Niyongabire" ; "Kian Williams... is still listed as day-to-day." ; "Matteo de Brienne expected to be available next week." ; No mention of Haynes nor Ohin so they are still out.

Apparently the Trench is moving over a few sections (section 141), directly behind the goal, and smoke is being allowed, to a point? 

Not issues I particularly care about, but an interesting dynamic, and a sign that the club is listening, I guess.

Tickets for tomorrow seem to be moving well.

Edited by jonovision

^ Not a fan of the migration but was necessary to accommodate the use of smoke in a way which is less structured by WFC.  We're going to see how it works out this back half of the '23 season.

So good job by those involved on both sides to find a solution.

Could be a fun one tomorrow.  Vancouver can bring a bit of energy to a match even if they have quite a few WTF moments.

2 hours ago, masster said:

Given the size of the stadium, the fans should be condensed into less sections...not more!

I agree, although in this instance, it's the same number of sections as before, but the supporters section will be further separated from the rest. I'm not part of that crowd, but if they're happy that the club is listening to them it's probably a good thing overall.

19 hours ago, masster said:

I know I might sound like a broken record...but Diego Gutierrez is a great player. He looks so much better than he did during his first go around in Winnipeg.

In 2019 he spent a lot of time playing out of position as a right back, due to poor roster depth and a bunch of injuries. But it would have been tough for any player to look good on that dumpster fire of a team. 

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

In 2019 he spent a lot of time playing out of position as a right back, due to poor roster depth and a bunch of injuries. But it would have been tough for any player to look good on that dumpster fire of a team. 

Gutierrez was also with Valour in the 2020 mini-season.  It was the 2021 season he played in South America.

A few players emerged from the 2019 team to find success elsewhere in the league: Musse, Bustos, Petrasso.  Unfortunate (or just stupid?) that Valour did not retain Musse.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-now-our-blueprint-and-now-we-can-work-on-the-little-details

"-Left back/midfielder Matteo de Brienne has resumed full practice as is an option for Dos Santos on Saturday.
-Winger Kian Williams was not at practice on Thursday and is listed as day-to-day."

I believe Valour currently has 22 players on their roster (Chandler no longer counts), that leaves 1 spot available.  Would be interested to know if there was an extra forward at practice this week?  Window opens in early July is my understanding.

On 6/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-now-our-blueprint-and-now-we-can-work-on-the-little-details

"-Left back/midfielder Matteo de Brienne has resumed full practice as is an option for Dos Santos on Saturday.
-Winger Kian Williams was not at practice on Thursday and is listed as day-to-day."

I believe Valour currently has 22 players on their roster (Chandler no longer counts), that leaves 1 spot available.  Would be interested to know if there was an extra forward at practice this week?  Window opens in early July is my understanding.

Wonder if they have been keeping an eye on Attardo as he seems to be doing well at the moment.

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I know this thread is for Valour, but can anyone point me in the direction of FC Manitoba squad details? The only site I can find is for the 2022 season.

I too have looked and not found a roster for this year.  They have the following former Valour players/trialists - Barker, Rode, Tomy, Hidalgo-Mazzei, Attardo.

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I too have looked and not found a roster for this year.  They have the following former Valour players/trialists - Barker, Rode, Tomy, Hidalgo-Mazzei, Attardo.

The FC Manitoba team page in the USL 2 website has not been updated for some reason for the 2023 season. If you go to the schedule section for the Deep North division however , you can see the roster for each game under match details 

Edited by charlesmazz

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

2 minutes ago, charlesmazz said:

The FC Manitoba team page in the USL 2 website has not been updated for some reason for the 2023 season. If you go to the schedule section for the Deep North division however , you can see the roster for each game under match details 

Thanks. I'm currently doing some research and I needed an up to date squad list.

10 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I know this thread is for Valour, but can anyone point me in the direction of FC Manitoba squad details? The only site I can find is for the 2022 season.

Related to the Valour FC/FC Manitoba relationship... What are the odds that, come the end of August, Tisseur returns to U Montreal to get some playing time and Barker is back with Valour sitting on the bench as Yesli backup?  I am guessing better than 50%.  Would not be shocked to see Yesli play every minute this season.