Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

10 hours ago, yothat2 said:

7,000 tickets  and multiple sell outs

I don't want to downplay the Sea Bears attendance success relative to a very low level of basketball. Sure, Valour never sold out 33000 seat IG Field. But Sea Bears also didn't sell out Canada Life Centre. They sold out their allotment. The first game of 7000 was a "sell out". Then yesterday's crowd of 5000 was 100 short of a "sell out". Kind of a meaningless term if that's the math. In Valour's 2019 season they averaged over 5000 per game, and their first two crowds were 9700 and 5800. 

It will take some work for Valour to earn back all the goodwill they squandered due to being dogshit at home that first year, and the blow of a few COVID seasons, but considering how much local media have been pumping up the Sea Bears for the last month and the popularity of basketball in this city, it's hardly a surprise to see these numbers.

Edited by jonovision

Well lets judge the seals by the same standard as valour....everyone not at the games needs to start whining about only 5k fans in a CAVERNOUS 16k arena, it should be a cozy 6k seat basketball only arena, it looks shitty on tv, totally ruins atmosphere, in europe they do it this way, blah blah blah.   

54 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well lets judge the seals by the same standard as valour....everyone not at the games needs to start whining about only 5k fans in a CAVERNOUS 16k arena, it should be a cozy 6k seat basketball only arena, it looks shitty on tv, totally ruins atmosphere, in europe they do it this way, blah blah blah.   

I think I am in the minority but - I for 1 will take the comfy seats, convenient washroom, etc of IG Field over a "right sized" stadium.

How do the Sea Bears ticket prices compare to Valour?

Also, I heard the Sea Bears result from last night on the radio this morning - don't recall hearing a Valour result ever mentioned.

9 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

I think I am in the minority but - I for 1 will take the comfy seats, convenient washroom, etc of IG Field over a "right sized" stadium.

How do the Sea Bears ticket prices compare to Valour?

Also, I heard the Sea Bears result from last night on the radio this morning - don't recall hearing a Valour result ever mentioned.

Single game seats range from $24 to $57. Very similar to Valour pricing.

I think it will be nice to see what Ulloa can provide in Wazzy's spot. Pacifique's athleticism will be missed, but Ulloa seems to be a much better and more decisive passer.  Gutierrez has also tailed off since a hot start, likely a case of the midfield being asked to be too much (trying to create offense for strikers that can't score, and keeping things tight in front of a back line with a new Wal-Mart greeter lining up each week).

I don't think we will get a result this week.

However, not making the playoffs will be due to failing to get results in very winnable games at home or against garbage teams on the road (Vancouver, aka this year's FC Edmonton)

This team has 1 win this season which came in game #1. We've scored 2 goals in our last 4 games. This is the first game our depth will be tested offensively. Besides missing some CBs and Ohin, we've been pretty lucky on the injury front for our attacking players. 

I stand by what I've said here since the pre-season roster was announced - the lack of finishers was an obvious problem. Siaj has done nothing to convince he isnt the new Frank Jonke.

7 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I don't think we will get a result this week.

However, not making the playoffs will be due to failing to get results in very winnable games at home or against garbage teams on the road (Vancouver, aka this year's FC Edmonton)

This team has 1 win this season which came in game #1. We've scored 2 goals in our last 4 games. This is the first game our depth will be tested offensively. Besides missing some CBs and Ohin, we've been pretty lucky on the injury front for our attacking players. 

I stand by what I've said here since the pre-season roster was announced - the lack of finishers was an obvious problem. Siaj has done nothing to convince he isnt the new Frank Jonke.

Honestly, while the finishing has been bad, there have been far too few chances created. The sort of work Sean Rea was doing last year.  A double-whammy, but I'm not prepared to lay it 100% at the feet of Siaj. Or Novak, who has been just as bad in more minutes.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Honestly, while the finishing has been bad, there have been far too few chances created. The sort of work Sean Rea was doing last year.  A double-whammy, but I'm not prepared to lay it 100% at the feet of Siaj. Or Novak, who has been just as bad in more minutes.

We are mostly just relying on wing play (kind of like last year only Pacifique is in for Akio).

Our penetration up the middle in the form of 1-2's and other combination play is underwhelming.

On 6/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, K Edgar said:

AJB interview

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/23999

No Pacifique (Burundi national team), No Gutierrez (suspended), No de Brienne ("slight injury"). :(

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/match-preview-vs-forge-fc

Add Haynes (no surprise) to the list of players missing.

Hoping the offense kicks in today!  (Valour always does best when you least expect)

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Fun(?) fact: Walter Ponce currently leads the team in G/90.

Also, 10 goals total, including 1 own goal, and 8 different scorers. Only Williams has scored twice in league play.

A rare midweek match tomorrow. Blocking out the last time the team played a weekday match on the west coast.

Ponce has definitely looked the most lively of anyone at striker this season. When he subs on, he has put in maximum effort, leading to some chances and general havoc.

That's more than I can say for Novak and Saij.

7 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Ponce has definitely looked the most lively of anyone at striker this season. When he subs on, he has put in maximum effort, leading to some chances and general havoc.

That's more than I can say for Novak and Saij.

Ponce has barely even played in the striker position. Mostly on the wing.

I haven't seen an injury update for Valour lately. One would imagine that Jean-Baptiste starting one of the next two matches is a possibility. Gutierrez returns from suspension. De Brienne is the real question mark remaining for tonight.

The CPL site preview predicts the following starting XI, although if they got it 100% right I think it would be the first time:

Valour FC: Yesli; Baquero, Pianelli, Samaké, Campbell; Sánchez, Gutiérrez, Polisi; Williams, Ulloa, Ponce

Frankly I'd be surprised (but pleased!) with a starting XI that doesn't include one of Siaj or Novak.