Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

This should not be a complete shock to Valour, Catavolo was training with TFC II in early Feb.  Is there a trialist or two at camp to take his place?  If not there should be!  Only trialists I have heard mentioned are Rode (a GK from Winkler) and Chandler (a tall DF from U Wisconsin).  No mention of MF trailists.

I can only assume that PDS will be putting faith in Juan Pablo unless he brings another trialist in. To be fair, it wasn't announced that Novak was at camp, and then when he was announced as having signed, it turned out he had been there since the start of camp.

I am more concerned by the lack of defensive options as far as trialists go. Chandler has only just been announced and, if you don't count Campbell who is really a midfielder, we went into camp with 6 defensive players (7 if Laplante is there) and half of those are full backs. Unless PDS is looking to play a back 3 with wingbacks, we are defensively underpowered.

47 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I thought Catavolo wasn't up for it last season. Would he have improved this season? Maybe. I'm not upset about him not returning.

I think, in terms of position, he was always going to play second fiddle to Rea. Could he have improved given more game time? possibly. Will his departure be a negative impact? probably not. 17 games and no goals from an attacking minded, central midfielder/attacking midfielder isn't a good return.

Unless they have plans to use the player in MLS right away, what's the advantage of signing a player like Catavolo and putting them down in Next Pro?

They could just as easily sign him in a year if his game continues to mature and develop, and I think another season in CPL would be more valuable than Next Pro. Maybe they could sign and loan him back to Valour?

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Unless they have plans to use the player in MLS right away, what's the advantage of signing a player like Catavolo and putting them down in Next Pro?

They could just as easily sign him in a year if his game continues to mature and develop, and I think another season in CPL would be more valuable than Next Pro. Maybe they could sign and loan him back to Valour?

He can be used as a last minute call up to the MLS team 4 times I think.

If he shows well his Next Pro deal could be turned into an MLS deal.

That is basically what happened to Farsi and Russell-Rowe at Columbus last year.

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess the Valour get a transfer fee out of this and the Blue Bombers bean counters might appreciate that angle, but this must blow a hole into how the Valour do their U-21 minutes this season?

Not necessarily. We still have Mzoughi, Pablo, Ulloa and de Brienne for the u21 minutes. But, yeah. The Bombers will take their cut.

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Not necessarily. We still have Mzoughi, Pablo, Ulloa and de Brienne for the u21 minutes. But, yeah. The Bombers will take their cut.

Do we even know what teams are allowed to spend incoming transfer money on? I don't think it can go towards salaries or exceeding the cap. Perhaps youth teams or facilities?

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Do we even know what teams are allowed to spend incoming transfer money on? I don't think it can go towards salaries or exceeding the cap. Perhaps youth teams or facilities?

Honestly? I have no idea. I am still surprised that it has taken 4 seasons before a player has actually moved between CPL sides for a fee.

Hang on..... Taken from the CPL website:

Transfer Fees

Any Transfer Fee included in the acquisition of a Player will count towards the Club’s Compensation Cap.

When a Club pays a transfer fee for an incoming player, the Club may pay out the whole transfer fee at one time if the given cap space is available or amortize it over the total number of years under the player’s contract length (including Club option years). If a player is sold or released before the end of his contract, the entire remaining transfer fee paid for the player is immediately counted under the Compensation Cap in the year of sale or release.

Player Sale Proceeds     

A Club that sells a player may deduct the proceeds of the sale from the Club’s Compensation Cap as follows:

• If a player is sold, the player’s incoming transfer fee will be deducted from any compensation paid to the player up to the time of sale for the purposes of reducing the Compensation Cap hit of the player. For example, if the player had a contract for $50,000/season and had been paid $40,000 up to the point of sale during said season when he was sold for $35,000, only $5,000 of the $40,000 paid to the player would count on the Compensation Cap for that season.
Edited by EnigMattic1

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Hundal and Romeo were the Vancouver goal scorers.  Both are former Valour players :(

You knew that was going to happen though.

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

Not all of the roster has been announced so they are still keeping things a bit private.. I think 🤷‍♂️

If we hadn't already announced 21 players, I could understand it. And everyone knows who the 2 trialists at camp are anyway.

28 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

from the very bottom of the article... "Valour FC played to a 2-2 draw against Vancouver FC last night, with goals from new signings Jaime Siaj and Marcello Polisi helping keep things level."

I am still unconvinced by our current defensive situation. I am not saying Chandler is the solution, but I would be a little happier with another centre back (and a 6'6 CB in front of a 6'7 GK can't be a bad thing either).

It is worrying when our sub keeper and third centre back are both on U-Sports contracts that expire on August 15th which will weaken our defence even more.

4 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I am still unconvinced by our current defensive situation. I am not saying Chandler is the solution, but I would be a little happier with another centre back (and a 6'6 CB in front of a 6'7 GK can't be a bad thing either).

It is worrying when our sub keeper and third centre back are both on U-Sports contracts that expire on August 15th which will weaken our defence even more.

Valour has had 2 U-Sports dev contracts in the past (Jacob Carlos - 2022, Tony Mikhael - 2021), both players stayed to end of the season, so if we can use the past as an example I would not be too worried about Pianelli and Tisseur leaving in August.  If they are working out in Valour's opinion they will likely stay on.

In other news, there is a story ealsewhere in the forum that Attardo is no longer with his team in France and has returned to Canada.  Would love to see him return to Valour although I am not sure how another Center Forward would fit their roster.

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Valour has had 2 U-Sports dev contracts in the past (Jacob Carlos - 2022, Tony Mikhael - 2021), both players stayed to end of the season, so if we can use the past as an example I would not be too worried about Pianelli and Tisseur leaving in August.  If they are working out in Valour's opinion they will likely stay on.

In other news, there is a story ealsewhere in the forum that Attardo is no longer with his team in France and has returned to Canada.  Would love to see him return to Valour although I am not sure how another Center Forward would fit their roster.

Can also play out on the left as an inside forward (similar to Niyongabire) which would allow de Brienne to play in his original full back/wing back role. Although, de Brienne's pace may be wasted that far back unless he was allowed to run with the ball and create an overlap.

However, I would be disappointed if Attardo ended up at Vancouver like a few ex Valour players seem to be. Guess they just miss being associated with VFC.

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

AJB "has a knock" and will not be joining Haiti national team for their March 2023 matches.  Also explains why he was not in uniform in pics from the Vancouver FC friendly.

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-call-ups-2023/

All the more reason to either get Chandler signed or look at another CB from elsewhere. I can't help but feel that AJB is more injury prone than he used to be. I know Levis needed replacing, but not in that sense.