Valour FC - 2023 Season Thread

29 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Kinda makes you wonder why we signed Siaj, Williams and Niyongabire if he was always a target. Although, Williams and Niyongabire can play out wide.

From the little bit I've been able to dig up about either player, neither Williams nor Niyongabire are central strikers.

51 minutes ago, jonovision said:

From the little bit I've been able to dig up about either player, neither Williams nor Niyongabire are central strikers.

Yup, Niyongabire is 100% not a striker and plays out wide. Don't know about Williams, but will take your word on it.

Edited by StillOnFire

16 minutes ago, StillOnFire said:

Yup, Niyongabire is 100% not a striker and plays put wide. Don't know about Williams, but will take your word on it.

I believe Williams is an attacking mid, not a stiker.  That would make him Rea replacement, no pressure!

Edited by K Edgar

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Niyongabire has played as a striker for Perth Glory, but not as often as he played out wide. I think, with both Niyongabire and Williams, they are able to play as a striker, but they are better suited to being out wide or in the hole.

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I believe Williams is an attacking mid, not a stiker.  That would make him Rea replacement, no pressure!

Can't see Catavolo getting much game time again this year. Wasn't he training with someone else at some point?

34 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Can't see Catavolo getting much game time again this year. Wasn't he training with someone else at some point?

Accord to this tweet (from Feb 2) he was training with TFC II.  Was wondering if that is why Northern Tribute does not list him amoung the U-21's for Valour.  Perhaps he is leaving Valour?   Have not seen him in the camp pics or videos.

Pacifique Niyongabire gets the call from Burundi.  Burundi to play Kenya and Indonesia in friendly games.  Both games will be played in Indonesia later this month.  In preperation for 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualification game vs Namibia March 28.  Another game in June vs Namibia and in Sept vs Cameroon.  He could be absent for a few CanPL games.

Kinda strange that Novak at pre season training was kept quiet. I mean, when the players were listed, the only one we weren't expecting was the GK from Winkler. There was no mention of Novak, yet the article says he has been there for weeks.

I can see similarities between him and Riggi in that they just want to play and will work hard to stick around. Wasn't Riggi coming back from an injury too?

Edited by EnigMattic1

5 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Kinda strange that Novak at pre season training was kept quiet. I mean, when the players were listed, the only one we weren't expecting was the GK from Winkler. There was no mention of Novak, yet the article says he has been there for weeks.

I can see similarities between him and Riggi in that they just want to play and will work hard to stick around. Wasn't Riggi coming back from an injury too?

Since most Valour practices are open to the public I am surprised no one stopped by and reported his presence.

4 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Honestly? With Diego here and PDS publicly saying that he likes Cristian, I would hope we would do something. We have a slot available don't we? Imagine both Cristian and Diego teaming up at Valour.

Valour has 1 slot remaing on the roster and are short in the left back position.  Signing Cristian would show there is some ambition in their signings this year.  While signing U-Sports pick LaPlante, also a left back, would indicate to me that mgmt has no intention of fielding a truely competitive team this season.

Any one attending the kit reveal this evening?  If so please count the number of Gutierrez twins present and report back!🤞

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm hyped and FuboTV with Onesoccer - a match made in heaven!

There's going to be much more eyeballs on this league this season!

It's HUGE. Quite possibly going to be more eyes on CPL than MLS. We need to be encouraging bars to show CPL games now they likely have fubo for PL.

53 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I like the red one. Not sure I like the claw marks on the dark jersey, though I suppose it's appropriate given how often Valour ends up getting mauled by its rivals.

Confused me too. Then I watched the video. Apparently it's all about the high number of cougars in Winnipeg. 😉

Have to say, in person the blacks with the claw marking aren't as arse as they look in the vid.  Only because the claw mark dosen't seem so pronounced in person, because the claw mark IS arse.  (BTW, apparently there is a bit of a story behind that.  Sort of a "plan B" thing).

The Reds however are 100% legit.  Will be buying one, you should to.  Macron gets it more right than wrong most of the time and the 2023 Valour Reds will be a classic example of that for years to come.  Well done.

Launch party was decent, say a 100ish plus change.  Not too bad for a Friday!  

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Valour has 1 slot remaing on the roster and are short in the left back position.  Signing Cristian would show there is some ambition in their signings this year.  While signing U-Sports pick LaPlante, also a left back, would indicate to me that mgmt has no intention of fielding a truely competitive team this season.

Any one attending the kit reveal this evening?  If so please count the number of Gutierrez twins present and report back!🤞

Nothing against the guy, but I think LaPlante would be a bad choice. Simply because we already have 2 U-Sports players signed. If he signed too, that would be 3 contracts up on August 15th and I believe someone mentioned in a previous post that we are only able to keep one of them?

Guti v2 makes a lot more sense and he would also offer the versatility that Guti v1 offers. PDS keeps on about how good Diego is and basically said that the only reason Cristian was in the MLS and not both of them, is because Cristian is left footed.