CPL All Star Game

I could see this happening/being successful but I’m curious which level of competition would be feasible/realistic.

On the high end, I’d like to think some teams with local followings that are outside of the big 5 European leagues: such as Celtic/Rangers, Benfica/Sporting Lisbon, Olympiakos, etc. would draw well but tbh they would likely expect to outdraw 5000 seat stadiums. 

Maybe more realistic options would be similar to the teams that Saskatchewan has brought in for friendlies: lower English clubs like Sunderland or a top division team like Valencia that might not have a huge local following in Canada.

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Not for the traditionalists but with some pretty big stadiums at its disposal I think the All Star team vs Big Club team MLS concept would really sell tickets a do great to showcase the league.

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't in the works for next year. 

Why? Who would be interested and what purpose would it serve to have a squad of random CanPL players slaughtered by a B Team on their summer vacation?

Far better to play friendlies with CanPL clubs rather than disrupt our league mid-season for an American-style dog-and-pony show.

5 hours ago, ted said:

Why? Who would be interested and what purpose would it serve to have a squad of random CanPL players slaughtered by a B Team on their summer vacation?

Far better to play friendlies with CanPL clubs rather than disrupt our league mid-season for an American-style dog-and-pony show.

I know it's a bit cheesy but nobody can deny it was a concept that really worked for the MLS. With the vibe of these pre season friendlies the game wouldn't be any kinda blowout. You could get that 2nd tier type club with a big name. Like someone stated above. Even a lower tier epl team like Leeds would really draw. Even a well known Championship side. An obvious one to kick it off would be Atletico Madrid in Ottawa. Huge team but probably easy to pull off for obvious reasons. There's no stortage of euro teams touring around looking to expand their brand a put some money in their bank account. I think it would be nothing but a positive and bring in a lot of people to get to know the CPL

Edited by SpursFlu

Not a fan of All Star games but can't deny it would get the CPL noticed by people who do not even know we exsist. That alone probably makes it worth it. I would love to see friendlies against realistic teams from abroad that our teams could actually compete against. Wouldn't draw significant numbers though. Wonder how our best would do against a Wigan or Bolton. 

I generally am more apathetic towards all star games rather than having active hate for them. Given the right opposition is picked that can draw a big crowd (the CPL all-stars themselves will not generate a crowd) but not just utterly embarrass the CPL team, it isn't such a bad idea. We are definitely still in the mode of getting people to realize the league exists, so a game like this could help with that goal.

22 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it would be nothing but a positive and bring in a lot of people to get to know the CPL

I guess I just don't understand why it has to be an "all-star" game. Why not arrange friendlies with CanPL clubs? I think all the benefits you mention still apply (and possibly better) when they play clubs and the league gets better press if clubs are highlighted and get some results. No one in Europe gives a toss about an "all-star" team but if Winnipeg Valour gets a result against Nottingham Forest then people take notice.

7 minutes ago, ted said:

I guess I just don't understand why it has to be an "all-star" game. Why not arrange friendlies with CanPL clubs? I think all the benefits you mention still apply (and possibly better) when they play clubs and the league gets better press if clubs are highlighted and get some results. No one in Europe gives a toss about an "all-star" team but if Winnipeg Valour gets a result against Nottingham Forest then people take notice.

This is a fair point. And maybe we could get more mileage out of this kind of thing. A single club could come and play 2 or 3 games against CPL teams.

26 minutes ago, ted said:

I think it would be interesting to see what a CPL All Star team would look like and could showcase our top talent and I guess hypothetically make the game more competitive. You could also cherry pick the best location to maximize revenue.  Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg come to mind. obviously friendlies would be cool also

9 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it would be interesting to see what a CPL All Star team would look like and could showcase our top talent and I guess hypothetically make the game more competitive. You could also cherry pick the best location to maximize revenue.  Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg come to mind. obviously friendlies would be cool also

It's hard to say if an all star team slapped together would actually be better than a CPL team that is in midseason form playing together. Probably the all star team is better than the bottom few teams, but not as good as the top few teams.

15 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If one was picking a merit-based all-star team without per-team quotas, Forge would be half of the team anyway. Some teams like Valour and Edmonton might not contribute a single player.

The team in 4th place would consist of half the starting 11?

22 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If one was picking a merit-based all-star team without per-team quotas, Forge would be half of the team anyway. Some teams like Valour and Edmonton might not contribute a single player.

For the sake of fun, I think an 18 with at least two guys from each team based on merit this year might look like this:

Rea - Diaz - Borges

Dyer

JGL - Bekker

Abzi - Didic - Singh - Dada Luke

Carducci

Bench: Salter, Waschewski, Choiniere, Musse, Zator, Shaw, Ingham

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

2nd in points per game and first in goal differential. Ottawa and Pacific will be distant images in the rearview mirror before long.

That and in 4th place will consist of half the starting 11?

I can only think of maybe Bekker 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I nice opposition would be whoever Jonathan David is playing for next year. Plunk that in Ottawa and that would be petty cool. Lille would be great

Lille or a team of similar quality would not use the top players against a CPL team/CPL all-star team.  Perhaps they might have a top Canadian put in an appearance for a half.

7 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Lille or a team of similar quality would not use the top players against a CPL team/CPL all-star team.  Perhaps they might have a top Canadian put in an appearance for a half.

Yah but people wouldn't know that until after they bought the ticket, bought the hot dog, bought the shirt and were having a good time

I like the idea of CPL teams finding ways to play friendlies vs superior sides. But no international team preps in Canada. And only very high level clubs come over, with odd exceptions.

I'm not bothered about a CPL team playing a far superior team in preseason, likely losing, it's a fun challenge. I'd go watch. 

If you had full training facilities with a hotel you could be selling that as a service. For weather and amenities the Whitecaps facility at UB would work. Vancouver, oddly, has a deficit of hotels on the west side. 

What I'm saying, if you could offer a pre-season stint to a Crystal Palace or Zaragoza, then a match, that'd be a good "extra" for fans. 

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Your right.. They're probably more like a 3rd place team

I get that you may not like them and fair enough but please list 2 teams that you think are better than them. I'm waiting for a JAVIERF level type response. Actually...name one team since there is a justified argument that Cavalry are currently better even though I don't believe it.