Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

https://onesoccer.ca/a/how-valour-fc-went-from-cpl-afterthought-to-team-on-the-rise-in-less-than-a-year

I don't disagree with some of the major themes in the article, but I think it's kind of funny how they went from "afterthought" one season to "team on the rise" the next, despite the fact that they're likely to finish 5th and just out of the playoffs in both years.

Edited by jonovision

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

https://onesoccer.ca/a/how-valour-fc-went-from-cpl-afterthought-to-team-on-the-rise-in-less-than-a-year

I don't disagree with some of the major themes in the article, but I think it's kind of funny how they went from "afterthought" one season to "team on the rise" the next, despite the fact that they're likely to finish 5th and just out of the playoffs in both years.

No mention of Gutiérrez, there best player (imho) and constantly over looked.

Just now, K Edgar said:

No mention of Gutiérrez, there best player (imho) and constantly over looked.

I had seats a few rows up from field level near the centre line yesterday, after sitting Trench-adjacent at the other matches I've attended. From close up it's so obvious how vital he is to everything they do, especially springing double teams to turn the ball over, and one-touch passes to turn a pressured situation into an outlet and attack.

Next game I would expect to see: YesliMekideche and Dyer return to the starting lineup, pushing Sirois, Cebara and Ponce to the bench.  Also, perhaps Forbes or Riggi getting a start? and de Brienne on the bench.  The offense really has not been producing. 

Edited by K Edgar

12 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Next game I would expect to see: YesliMekideche and Dyer return to the starting lineup, pushing Sirois, Cebara and Ponce to the bench.  Also, perhaps Forbes or Riggi getting a start? and de Brienne on the bench.  The offense really has not been producing. 

I can't help but wonder how Ricci would have got on after his return from injury if he had been offered a deal. I mean, he hit the ground running at the start of last season.

With regards to the defence (and, to an extent, the midfield), I believe that it is a pretty strong unit. I would also think that it is safe to assume that Sirois wont be back next season so we would need to look for a replacement (Barker or Artemenko).

Midfield-wise, we will need to replace Rea and Fordy. Fordy is someone who could still do a job for the club in a coaching capacity in my opinion. Rea will be hard to replace and there isn't anyone from League1 who automatically jumps out at the moment, so I fear that will be another loan signing. Given that his idol (apparently) is now playing in the MLS, I can see him not wanting another spell out on loan as he will want to go up against Insigne whilst he is still there.

As far as the offence goes, Don't rely on loan signings. Granted, Ascanio could do a job, but he was never likely to be a permanent signing. If we want to really develop and progress, we need a core of players to build around. You can't build around loan signings (unless you are Forge and Borges).

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

As far as the offence goes, Don't rely on loan signings. Granted, Ascanio could do a job, but he was never likely to be a permanent signing. If we want to really develop and progress, we need a core of players to build around. You can't build around loan signings (unless you are Forge and Borges).

Our loanees have stayed with the team as long or longer than most of the other signings. If Montreal sends us another 18 year old that looks a few years away from MLS, why say no?

17 hours ago, jonovision said:

Our loanees have stayed with the team as long or longer than most of the other signings. If Montreal sends us another 18 year old that looks a few years away from MLS, why say no?

I understand that, but you cant always guarantee that a loanee will come back for a second season and, for me, one of the key factors for any team to be successful is consistency.

Having a loan signing is great in the short term but, in the case of someone like Rea, how would you replace him if he doesn't come back next season? If there was a "Rea" type player who could be obtained on a permanent basis, he would be in high demand and, as such, Rea will be a loss next season if he cant return.

That is what I was trying to get across when I made the comment about not relying on loan signings. I am not dismissing them in the slightest.

"Centre back Nassim Mekideche has returned to training and should be available Friday. Forward Moses Dyer has not yet resumed on-field work and Dos Santos lists him as ‘day-to-day.’ " -- without Dyer who does Valour put up front.  Rea - Ponce - de Brienne did not produce goals last game.  Rea - Forbes - Riggi?

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/the-jobs-not-done-and-were-going-to-give-it-everything-weve-got

8 hours ago, K Edgar said:

"Centre back Nassim Mekideche has returned to training and should be available Friday. Forward Moses Dyer has not yet resumed on-field work and Dos Santos lists him as ‘day-to-day.’ " -- without Dyer who does Valour put up front.  Rea - Ponce - de Brienne did not produce goals last game.  Rea - Forbes - Riggi?

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/the-jobs-not-done-and-were-going-to-give-it-everything-weve-got

Riggi was dreadful in his sub appearance Sunday. Nearly every pass was a miss. Teammates were visibly frustrated with him.

Edited by jonovision

45 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Riggi was dreadful in his sub appearance Sunday. Nearly every pass was a miss. Teammates were visibly frustrated with him.

He seemed promising at the start of the season.  Since Akio's departure (and Ascanio's) when Valour really needed him to step-up he hasn't done much.  Hate for his last contribution to the team to be the shot saved by Akio.

12 hours ago, K Edgar said:

He seemed promising at the start of the season.  Since Akio's departure (and Ascanio's) when Valour really needed him to step-up he hasn't done much.  Hate for his last contribution to the team to be the shot saved by Akio.

I can't help but notice how so many players seem to be playing at a lesser standard (probably not the right word) since Akio left. Dyer is the most noticeable to me. It seems to be that Akio had an influence both off and on the pitch.

Riggi did get off to a flyer, didn't he score twice against Ottawa early on in the season?

I can't help but notice how so many players seem to be playing at a lesser standard (probably not the right word) since Akio left. Dyer is the most noticeable to me. It seems to be that Akio had an influence both off and on the pitch.

Riggi did get off to a flyer, didn't he score twice against Ottawa early on in the season?

Who didn’t score in that game?????  LOL

Akio's speed created drew a lot of attention and created space for everyone else. I think Ascanio would have had a similar impact in a much different way if he had not been sidelined. That said, I think Valour's record is better without Akio than it is with him in 2022.

Edited by jonovision

40 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Akio's speed created drew a lot of attention and created space for everyone else. I think Ascanio would have had a similar impact in a much different way if he had not been sidelined. That said, I think Valour's record is better without Akio than it is with him in 2022.

Fully agree Akio created space for Dyer, Riggi and other attackers.  Both of Riggi's goals in the Ottawa game were created by Akio.

I would suggest the return from injury of AJB and the addition of Mekideche has caused Valour improve record.  The strengthened defense has been partially offset by poorer scoring but overall has led to an improved record.

Goal scoring has to return for Valour to make the top 4.  4 goals in the last 5 games is not good enough. And the goal scorers were Romeo, de Brienne, Levis and AJB -- only 1 forward in that list. :(

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/now-we-have-to-chase-it-theres-no-other-way-its-all-or-nothing-no-other-result-but-a-win-really-keeps-us-alive

"Leading scorer Moses Dyer will again not be available Sunday and Dos Santos indicated the Kiwi striker likely won’t play next week against FC Edmonton but could be available for the playoffs if Valour advances.

Midfielder Diego Gutiérrez will be listed as day-to-day while left back Brett Levis, who suffered a bone bruise in last week’s 3-1 loss to York United FC, will be good to go."

If they are without Gutierrez it is over.

16 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Valour isn't alone in this but, the shallow rosters in this league does wreak havoc doesn't it?   

Absolutely. Incredible Pacific have done as well as they have with CCL qualifiers too. I thought they would suffer and maybe they have. They seemed to have made it work regardless with one of the smallest squads and players/staff leaving.

10 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Valour isn't alone in this but, the shallow rosters in this league does wreak havoc doesn't it?   

A few players with a low number of appearance and minutes due to injury of otherwise and the roster gets very thin

app.  min.
Rendón    11    579
Carlos      11    415
Forbes     10    404
Catavolo  14    393
Ascanio    4    220
Mikhael    4    83
Esparza    1    1