Canadian player soccer cards

dyslexic nam

15 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I am still amazed he does not have a big time card yet, especially with Topps. Man thought he was close but he goal was called off side. Is he Belgium stuff all stickers, I see he has one in a Canadian uniform too. 

Belgium is all stickers for official stuff. There is an unlicensed “Euroset” card that floats around but I people think it can be too easily knocked off because it isn’t official.  Same with the Canada sticker - I have had people warn me about copies.  Thus I stick to the Panini stickers.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Belgium is all stickers for official stuff. There is an unlicensed “Euroset” card that floats around but I people think it can be too easily knocked off because it isn’t official.  Same with the Canada sticker - I have had people warn me about copies.  Thus I stick to the Panini stickers.  

Ok cool, I did not know what that Canada sticker was, I knew the Euro Sport cards are not official. 

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Very nice. If I ever increase my budget, an AD auto is high on my list.  

While I do only collect a few cards here and there that jump out to me, I did have Phonzie autograph these photos at BMO Field during a few Canada games. Have a photo with the Champions League trophy I am hoping to have him sign next week in Toronto. 

243354556_404500294403689_3942110087328367901_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_eui2=AeHMrh45Hpu3kJ9OkPjtOtVQyVcEldcuBSbJVwSV1y4FJql2mtsavkF0JRgidphdmMw&_nc_ohc=YYI9mGg4PWMAX-OY1f3&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-1.fna&oh=a17726db12b219a7d63d883048a74531&oe=6182ABBC

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Found this at a local collectors shop. It's still sealed, and there's a few more cards inside.  Debating on opening it or leaving it as is.

20211018_180459.jpg

I would open it, I have the Forest and de Vos cards from that set. Here is the checklist for it.

https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist.cfm/sid/124467/2001-Sunlight-Soccer-Canada?PageIndex=1#8386128

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Found this at a local collectors shop. It's still sealed, and there's a few more cards inside.  Debating on opening it or leaving it as is.

20211018_180459.jpg

That is a tough one.  I would probably open it (and immediately put them in a penny sleeve and toploader).  Sealed cards are often worth more but realistically these aren’t worth much - they are more for the cool factor.  I have a few so not dissing your cards - just don’t see a lot of benefit leaving them sealed.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is a tough one.  I would probably open it (and immediately put them in a penny sleeve and toploader).  Sealed cards are often worth more but realistically these aren’t worth much - they are more for the cool factor.  I have a few so not dissing your cards - just don’t see a lot of benefit leaving them sealed.  

I completely agree, there is no big potential of pulling some big rookie cards in those packs. As I said I would open them and enjoy them as a Canadian soccer supporter. The thought of something like this coming out today, that would be fun, Phonzie, Jonathan, Tajon etc. Maybe some day. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

51 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I completely agree, there is no big potential of pulling some big rookie cards in those packs. As I said I would open them and enjoy them as a Canadian soccer supporter. The thought of something like this coming out today, that would be fun, Phonzie, Jonathan, Tajon etc. Maybe some day. 

Yeah, this is the way I'm leaning. The "value" between open and sealed is negligible, and I'm interested to see which other players are inside. Though it's still neat to have a 20 year old sealed pack as well.

This might be a case of "saving it for a rainy day" during the off season when I want some Canadian soccer excitement. 

Edited by Watchmen

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, this is the way I'm leaning. The "value" between open and sealed is negligible, and I'm interested to see which other players are inside. Though it's still neat to have a 20 year old sealed pack as well.

This might be a case of "saving it for a rainy day" during the off season when I want some Canadian soccer excitement. 

And actually, I have to admit that I do keep some pokemon sealed.  It is more of an economic thing because it appreciates I’m a way that these probably won’t, but there is truth to the idea that you can never un-open it. 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Cblake said:

After his goal today, Jonathan David could definitely be up for Topps Now card in the next couple days when the next release is put up for sale. Keep your eyes out for it, it would be a his first true rookie card.

I will respond here since it is more appropriate than the JD thread…

Agree about the Match Attax (and you got an auto - damn…) but lost don’t actually consider the Topps Now (on demand) to be real cards either.   Some want it to be part of a broadly released set.   It can get pretty picky what is and is not a “rookie card”.  All I know is that his two Gent stickers are getting graded by me because I see them as top of the pipe when it comes to JD.  

Just now, Cblake said:

If anyone wants to go in on a few of these, it would be way cheaper to have them shipped here and then just mail them around in Canada via lettermail.   I will be getting a few for sure so happy to quarterback it if anyone wants to split costs.