Canadian player soccer cards

dyslexic nam

Back in my youth I did collect Baseball and Hockey cards. But it has become excessively expensive now.

In 2010 I started doing the Panini World Cup and Euro Sticker albums. I probably won't do this year's Euro album as it is stupid expensive.

If a Panini MLS Sticker album existed I would probably do it.

Never really realized that you could get actual cards for the current set of players. I may have to start collecting again.

Not sure if it interests anyone. But Canada did make the 1986 World Cup. Meaning they are in the Panini album. In the past I have seen completed albums for fairly cheap.

image.png.be2ac379e75c167318ca55195ed971b7.png

22 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Let us know something about the publishers of the cards, if you can.

I have been asked over the years to help source cards for collectors back in Canada, from the Panini collections of the Spanish league, or others. Now I guess folks have figured it out themselves and order directly.

And have done La Liga with my kid, doing full albums. But those are not cards, they are stickers for a book, in and of themselves they are not collection-worthy objects.

Very near where I am, at the Sant Antoni market where the booksellers appear on Sundays, the collectors of soccer cards appear on a street corner and trade, from kids to grandpas. I used to love going.

FWIW, if you had any of the old panini stickers from 2005-2007 with early Messi stickers, you might be sitting on something with value.   Messi rookie stickers are not cheap...

36 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it was that one.   Probably goes way down in value because it is “stuck in” but as a stand-alone sticker...

(sample eBay sold listing) 

6EAC8172-64E4-48A9-9384-2BE1588B8396.jpeg

I see a wide variation on those prices too. Never imagined it.

I have 05-06 quite complete, but no Julián de Guzmán, just a gap. 06-07 quite empty, and no Julian. I did not do these albums, my son did, and he was 6-7 years old. But the following year, 07-08, we do have him (same page as Mista in fact): 

Julian and Mista at Depor 08-09.jpg

Julian.jpg

1 hour ago, jordan said:

I was going to get into buying cards, is it easy to buy as singles or is it like 30 years ago when you had to buy a pack? 

Lots of singles floating around - Facebook groups, eBay, etc.  The shipping is what can kill you - costs from the US can be pretty high.  I have either ordered a bundle of cards from the same seller (most of my Bowman rookies came from one seller in two separate orders) or just watched for deals.   Sometimes the good ones just get away.  

I have also bought a bunch of new MLS packs and gotten some good CanCon hits.  Pics below are the Canadian cards I got from the new Topps MLS “blasters” (8 packs) - hot rookies for Ayo, St Clair and ZBG.  

BF8F7E23-4275-45B1-9076-6F939677CBA3.jpeg

Edited by dyslexic nam

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lots of singles floating around - Facebook groups, eBay, etc.  The shipping is what can kill you - costs from the US can be pretty high.  I have either ordered a bundle of cards from the same seller (most of my Bowman rookies came from one seller in two separate orders) or just watched for deals.   Sometimes the good ones just get away.  

I have also bought a bunch of new MLS packs and gotten some good CanCon hits.  Pics below are the Canadian cards I got from the new Topps MLS “blasters” (8 packs) - hot rookies for Ayo, St Clair and ZBG.  

BF8F7E23-4275-45B1-9076-6F939677CBA3.jpeg

I was on eBay a while ago and Klukowski and Radzinski were available so I think i may dive in

7 minutes ago, jordan said:

I was on eBay a while ago and Klukowski and Radzinski were available so I think i may dive in

Yeah, I have eyed up a few Radz cards.  Stalteri too.   

To be honest, I am assuming that prices for the older Canadian stuff will stay pretty flat so buying them in a few months won’t be any different than buying them now.  But the young gun stuff could jump fairly quickly if someone has a breakout season - that is why I have started by focusing on the main rookies.  

But after others were talking about the oldies, I did buy these ones today so they are now in transit.  

9CC13918-2C37-495C-97D9-B554D899125F.jpeg

301395C7-9AEA-42AC-BFD1-162E8CAE4CE4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

I’ve been opening 30 year old hockey cards that come with that gum, want me to put some aside for you?

I think I still have some pics from the 80's where I have that white powder from the gum all over my face from sniffing it.  Or at least thats what i tell the wife.  And it was bubble gum,,,with cards.  They threw them in as an aft thought, the gum was that good.  

b582be463e225fa0d6803c93a3b7a093.jpg

This reminds me of my card collections in my youth in the 60's. I had the whole (or almost) set of CFL,NHL and MLB which I neatly kept in a desk drawer in my room. One day after school I opened my drawer and the cards were gone. My mother decided to clean up and threw them all out. I could of been RICH I TELL YOU, RICH.😀☹️

42 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

This reminds me of my card collections in my youth in the 60's. I had the whole (or almost) set of CFL,NHL and MLB which I neatly kept in a desk drawer in my room. One day after school I opened my drawer and the cards were gone. My mother decided to clean up and threw them all out. I could of been RICH I TELL YOU, RICH.😀☹️

From dipping my toe in to card collecting recently it seems it is more of an adult hobby now. I see some hobby boxes of basketball and European soccer cards going for $400 to $600. I think I saw somewhere to complete a Panini World Cup sticker book it would cost $600 even when you trade doubles. It would be nice to have a less premium product that would be easier to allow my kids to get involved without choosing between year round soccer or a sticker album.

The Topps MLS set is actually a set that is not excessively expensive.

Edited by Ruffian

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think I still have some pics from the 80's where I have that white powder from the gum all over my face from sniffing it.  Or at least thats what i tell the wife.  And it was bubble gum,,,with cards.  They threw them in as an aft thought, the gum was that good.  

I remember buying those.  25 cents ... no tax ... hahahahahahahahahaha

8 hours ago, Ruffian said:

From dipping my toe in to card collecting recently it seems it is more of an adult hobby now. I see some hobby boxes of basketball and European soccer cards going for $400 to $600. I think I saw somewhere to complete a Panini World Cup sticker book it would cost $600 even when you trade doubles. It would be nice to have a less premium product that would be easier to allow my kids to get involved without choosing between year round soccer or a sticker album.

I have Germany 2006 complete. It included stickers of the Cup, the mascot, two posters, all stadiums. For every team they include the national federation logo on a shiny silver sticker, very nice. And a pic of a game-day squad before a match. I think I must have ordered what I was missing from Panini Spain.

An odd detail, all countries participating have a two page spread, including T&T, Tunisia and Togo, but Saudi Arabia, Angola and Ghana get a single page, with two players per sticker. 

I see this full album for sale for anywhere from 50 to 400 euros.

Germany 2006.jpg

17 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Almost all of the Soviet cards in these packs are covered with that white powder stuff since they’re in the front lol. The gum snaps so easily. 

F0494F04-9F5D-4773-9C1E-88193691FCFF.jpeg