League 1 Ontario 2021 Season

January 28, 2021

League 1 Ontario adds four new teams to Men's Division.  

League1 Ontario expands by four men's teams for 2021  

the story on their site. 

Guelph United FC       

Scrosoppi FC  (Milton)  

St Catharines Roma Wolves       (returning to higher play for first time since 2013...the year CSL desanctioned and L1O started up...they fell through the cracks).  

Waterloo United   

(wonder what happened to 1812 Barrie?)  

Edited by Rocket Robin

2 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

(wonder what happened to 1812 Barrie?)  

Dino Rossi said "it is important to note that we continue to have ongoing discussions with some other applicants and may have more good news to announce in the coming weeks," so we may still see the Barrie group(s) join.

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

At what point do they start planning/thinking League 2 Ontario? 20 plus teams seems a bit much for the calendar they have to work with.

10 team leagues, home and away for 20 games sounds about right. 

Or just divide them into regions/divisions...mitigates travel costs. You can still play teams from the other division(s) just fewer times.

16 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Or just divide them into regions/divisions...mitigates travel costs. You can still play teams from the other division(s) just fewer times.

No, no, no! No need for regional divisions when majority of teams are within a respectable driving distance (other than Windsor), so you’re not really mitigating travel costs. Game nights just need to be consistently on weekends. Majority of these guys/teams have done this within the OSL setup. 

More teams to me says oversaturated/ bigger gaps in talent from the top to the bottom. League 1 needs more prestige - and you lose it with more teams/players that you have to cater too. Also considering a lot of guys leave due to school commitments. 

League 1 needs to be more professional than amateur. Right now it’s very amateur hidden by the tag of it being called semi-pro.

Edited by Shway

8 hours ago, longlugan said:

I agree in general but I'm thinking down the road when there are teams from Windsor to Cornwall to Sault Ste Marie.

Let’s be honest brother Sault Ste Marie.... that is not happening. Cornwall would be better suited for PSLQ. Sudbury could be an option but you’re talking more figment of imagination vs being practical. You have to have a local player base to utilize. 

I'd really like to see something like this based on the teams that are currently announced:

League1 Premier
Alliance United
Master's Futbol
North Mississauga SC
Oakville Blue Devils
Sigma FC
Vaughan SC

League1 West   League1 East
FC London   Darby FC
Guelph United   North Toronto SC
Hamilton United   Pickering FC
Scrosoppi FC   ProStars FC
St. Catharines Roma Wolves Toronto Skillz FC
Waterloo United   Unionville Milliken SC
Windsor TFC   Woodbridge SC

I think an alignment like this using pro/rel would even tempt TFC Academy back into the fold as once they reach Premier, they would be getting more competitive games. IIRC, when they moved over to USSDA, they seemed to be playing weaker teams, if you judge by the table alone

I would prefer two leagues with promotion and relegation:

League 1 - 

Sigma FC
Blue Devils
Vaughan SC
Alliance United
Masters Futbol
North Mississauga SC
FC London
Pickering FC
Woodbridge Strikers
Darby FC

League 2 - 

North Toronto Nitros
Guelph United
Pro Starz FC
Windsor TFC
St. Catherine Roma Wolves
Scrosoppi FC
Hamilton United
Toronto Skillz FC
Unionville Milliken SC
Waterloo United

Regular Season:
- Each league plays 9 games 

Playoffs for both leagues:
- Top 2 teams automatically qualify for the semi finals
- Teams 3-6 will play a play-in game for the last two spots to the semi finals. 
- Semi-finals are played home and away
- Final is 1 game played at the higher seed.

Promotion/Relegation:

- Bottom 3 in League 1 are automatically relegated
- Top 2 in League 2 are automatically promoted
- League Two playoff champion is promoted 
- 1st place in League 1 is champions and gains entry to the Voyageurs Cup
*if the champion is already promoted from league play, 8th place in league 1 will play against 3rd place in league 2 for the promotion playoff game. 

League Cup (returns)-

- Random draw
- 1 game Knockout

Edited by Shway

Love it! All of them in cities that don't already have a team (i.e. no new Toronto teams in this list). It's great to expand the geographical footprint of the league! And with Barrie and Peterborough expected sometime in the not too distant future, things are looking great!

I agree that they should really think about splitting up. I would prefer a pro/rel L1O/L2O setup. If it's 10 teams in each division one year, and new teams join, they obviously join at the L2O level and you can add to L1O when appropriate by having 1 relegate down and 2 promote up, or whatever the numbers end up being.

Make it happen Dino!

23 hours ago, Shway said:

At what point do they start planning/thinking League 2 Ontario? 20 plus teams seems a bit much for the calendar they have to work with.

10 team leagues, home and away for 20 games sounds about right. 

Yep, was thinking this. Then for playoffs, top 2-4 teams qualify. They can do a group stage like in the last season that was played (2 groups of 4, with the highest ranked team in each group hosting) with the group winners making the final. They can also just do a straight knockout.

As for the L2O, I agree. At this point we should be thinking about splitting the league at some point. Don't turn this into USL. There are more than enough teams to do that.

Just a side note, Dino Rossi mentioned the potential of having more teams. Going into this season, I can't imagine more than 4 other teams being added. Possible formats for 21-24 teams altogether:

21 Teams

- 3 groups of 7, playing the teams in the group twice each. Top 2 of each group qualify for the finals. The teams in the final play each other once (or twice), with the winner becoming champions

22 Teams

- Probably 2 groups of 11, playing the teams in their group twice. Top 2 teams from each group qualify for the finals. Either a group stage, or a final 4 format

23 Teams

- Two groups of 8 and a group of 7. Everyone plays the teams in their group twice, with the teams in the group of 7 meeting two of the teams in their group thrice. Same process as the 21 team format

24 Teams

- Plenty of options here. Can have groups of 12, 8, or even 6. In the group of 6, split them into conferences then divisions. Play the teams in the division twice and the other teams in the conference once, totaling 16 games. Top 2 teams from each group qualify for the finals

Just some ideas

If they split into L1O and L2O, they could even do what some of the Tier 2 regional leagues in Australia did for their playoffs. One region in Australia did top 6 (of 8 league teams) in the Division 1 made playoffs along with each 1st place team in the Division 2 North and South division for an 8 team playoff bracket. 

L1O could send 6 and then L2O could send top 2. Give those teams an extra incentive if they're in L2O

Looks like Barrie with all the hoopla press conference you know Kristan Jack and Julian DeGuZ and all ,  there has been a falling out . I hear Julian is no longer with this club .  Can someone in the know give us some insight on what’s happening in Barrie ? Moreover, yes it looks like Aurora is not coming back , you know the Aurora who  had enough money to spend on Mr. Jimmy Brennan a few years ago paying him close to 100000 a year for who knows what but now can’t seem to find anymore money to spend on a League 1 team , good old soccer in Canada eh!

Edited by SoccMan

Reminder of L1O standings for 2019.   16 teams.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19l1mw16.htm 

Now note the last place team, Ottawa South United joined PLSQ for 2020.  (0 wins)...defender Tony Mikhael chosen by Valour FC.   

And 15th place team, Toronto Skillz  (2 wins) just had two players* chosen in the CPL-U Sports draft on Friday....both by York United FC.   

*glossed over by CPL as playing for Ontario Tech University. 

I didn't see them on the Skillz roster in 2019.   2020 they were on the roster but the season was just exhibition games.   

The draftees, Christopher Campoli and Danial Rafisamii are both midfielders. 

Sigma FC forward Reggie Laryea chosen by Atletico Ottawa.  Interesting that Forge FC had two draft choices before Laryea was chosen.  Forge head coach Bobby Smyniotis would have coached him back in his Sigma days.   

Edited by Rocket Robin

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

Interesting that Guelph and Waterloo were able to go from 0 to 2 teams in one year.  

In previous years L1O commish Rossi had told me that new groups would be allowed to enter just one because of financial burdens on club, reviews of the owners' viability etc. 

Yeah, I took that in as well. I was pleasantly surprised that such was allowed to happen. Let's hope these clubs can stay in the league for years to come🤞🏾

• 4 weeks later...