Match Thread: Island Games - August 29, 2020 - HFX Wanderers v York 9

narduch

With the standings so tight every match from here on out is big.  Cavalry is going to have a week to prepare for Y9 on the last day of the round so it is vital for Y9 to come away with W's here and against Edmonton.   HFX have looked good so I don't expect this to be an easy one either.  

We always struggle against these (barring the 6-2 obviously) and they look way better this season, so it won't be an easy one in the slightest. I missed the last game so I can't say how the lineup performed. I just hope we do enough to win.

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

With the standings so tight every match from here on out is big.  Cavalry is going to have a week to prepare for Y9 on the last day of the round so it is vital for Y9 to come away with W's here and against Edmonton.   HFX have looked good so I don't expect this to be an easy one either.  

Im hoping Cavalry have clinched a top 4 spot by the time we play them. 

This game will be tough I think HFX is a top 4 team. They have nice attacking options and Morelli is a problem. 

Really looking forward to this one.  The winner will be in great shape to make Top 4 so here's to hoping it will be a nice, open game.

Sadly I think this could be one where each team is playing to avoid a defeat so it might have the look of a tense 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

Edited by Terry_Canuck

Awful, awful awful.

I was expecting to hold on given they had 10 and we were a goal up, but we honestly showed nothing. We could have played 200 more minutes and we wouldn't have scored again.

I think it's clear that Telfer isn't the same as last year. Don't know what's happened really. Rivero seems to switch on and off but I'm going to keep the faith in him. I've also been unimpressed with that Halley.

Edmonton becomes a must now. I hope the boys don't get overconfident. There's nothing to be confident about.

Literally no clue who finishes 2nd to 4th. 

If lightening strikes twice and Ottawa do the unthinkable tmrw, forge could be in trouble. Valour will need the points to go through on the last day too most likely.

The tournament format has had its detractors but it has turned out by luck or not, to be a hugely exciting finish to the first phase.

Lots of teams had lots of unknowns going into this tournament. While we knew the core players at most clubs that would deliver it was a mystery whether the rest of the squad would pull together or be useful at a few clubs. 

The difference with Halifax to other clubs is how useful the majority of their squad has turned out to be.

The u-sport crew in Bent, Kreim and Sissoko have all looked really good. 

Marshall and Sanoh have contributed, Morelli up until today was fantastic. Restrepo, Geffrard, Ruby have all been solid.

Riggi and Kinumbe havent played as much as I would have thought but that hasn't affected the team. 

Due to the success, Halifax has as strong a team for depth as Forge or Calgary. Real shame they will miss Schaale and Morelli for the last two games. 

Aug 29/20 Zoom call post game press conference after the HFX Wanderers FC vs York9 FC game.

Full audio http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports20/20york091.htm 

These are NOT the same quotes as the OneSoccer footage.   

36 minutes of Jim Brennan, Manny Aparacio, Omar Kreim, and Stephen Hart  

Edited by Rocket Robin

6 hours ago, Zem said:

Yes, for fitness reasons I believe

I thought I had heard somewhere it is because normally in a game you would just toss a bottle to a player during a stoppage and a few players would drink from it, but that can't/shouldn't be done because of Covid

Absolutely disgusting from Y9 today. Who tries to play keep away for 60+ minutes? They never once tested Oxner with a man up. Awful.

No run through the defender to try a through ball. Not a single time that Telfer got the ball on the left did he use the teammate to advance the ball deeper in the HFX end.

Not a single midfielder made an advancing run to try and find a hole between the HFX lines. 

What is the point of having a striker if all you want him to do is chase the keeper in possession? Not once did Rivero or Vasconcelos have the ball within 25 yards of goal. 

Doner has offered nothing offensively this season. 

Nothing was learned from the first match against Ottawa. They played the exact same way and ended with the same result. Y9 has been a man up for 100+ minutes in this tournament and have 2 points to show for it. 

What’s with the elbow HFX? Morelli got a red but Rampersad is lucky the red didn’t actually see what he did  

I’m not one to rail on a team but no one should be even remotely satisfied with where they stand. This is a team that is in 3rd despite of themselves not because they’ve earned it. More was expected and they’ve had every opportunity to show they belong at the top of the league but keep tripping over their own feet.

Edited by Stouffvillain

I'm over the moon with that result, the 1 point feels like 3.

It looked grim for a while but the boys stuck with it and maintained their discipline for those last 65 minutes.  A beautiful free kick by Kreim and I thought it was the least we deserved.  York threatened very little in the second half and seemed to just want to hold on for 1-0.

A world class free kick by Aparicio, that was truly stunning.

Halifax will have to win their last two to get in as I think 11 is the magic number to make top 4.