Match Thread: Island Games - August 22, 2020 - York 9 v Valour

narduch

Enjoyable game that lacked quality where it counts. Not a surprise for Valour who are lacking upfront.

Also an example that in my opinion at least we have a league with better central defenders than strikers. The amount of goals maybe disprove that theory but I choose to believe it way! Love some of the CB pairing so far this year. Surely a couple of these at least can make a step up and give us something to be hopeful about in the CMNT CB pool.

8 minutes ago, gator said:

I didn't see the whole match but what I did see was scrappy, it was very completive with lots of fouls, Valour look a whole lot better than they did last season based on this showing!

I agree that defensively they look a lot better. The problem now is that they lack an offensive threat ( Bustos ). Aird has not impressed given his resume and Ricci despite several chances has not been able to put the ball in the net. 

20 hours ago, toontownman said:

It is a shame for valour. Baptiste and Dunn are a partnership to build the team around. They will be back to square one next year. Dunn will hopefully be in the MLS or maybe Europe. Baptiste could also earn a move higher on this form. 

I think it’s going to be hard to retain players in this league with the current salary structure. AJB could likely earn a better contract especially if hati does well in wcq. dunn is going places Higher then cpl. 

overall I don’t see much difference in this valour team and last years. Except that they are strong in net and Cb. Moses dyer seems like a good pick up but others like aird and cabera look slow. There international cards again don’t look to be used well again this year. Was encouraged by the roster turnover but I don’t think we will be getting better. Other then 4 or 5 nil losses it might be 1-0 based on how strong they are in the middle of the back.

im also unhappy about this club not effectively using its usport draft selections like all the other teams have. They had talented prospects available and didn’t use them. 

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

I think it’s going to be hard to retain players in this league with the current salary structure. AJB could likely earn a better contract especially if hati does well in wcq. dunn is going places Higher then cpl. 

overall I don’t see much difference in this valour team and last years. Except that they are strong in net and Cb. Moses dyer seems like a good pick up but others like aird and cabera look slow. There international cards again don’t look to be used well again this year. Was encouraged by the roster turnover but I don’t think we will be getting better. Other then 4 or 5 nil losses it might be 1-0 based on how strong they are in the middle of the back.

im also unhappy about this club not effectively using its usport draft selections like all the other teams have. They had talented prospects available and didn’t use them. 

You just stated a massive difference between the two teams. Last year's Valour side would have been top 3 or 4 with a decent defense and keeper instead of a comically terrible group. The talent has flip-flopped, as there is not much to get excited about in midfield or attack. Except, for me, Diego Gutierrez.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:16 PM, Charlesmazzz said:

I agree that defensively they look a lot better. The problem now is that they lack an offensive threat ( Bustos ). Aird has not impressed given his resume and Ricci despite several chances has not been able to put the ball in the net. 

I'm never really gotten the expectations part of the Aird chatter.  A young player with promise who given the opportunity never really met expectations and has subsiquently played himself into the CPL.  Couldn't tell you why, for no other reason than rotten luck players sometimes are almost victims of things beyond their control.  Wrong place, wrong time.  Too much too soon.  A girl.  Whatever the reasons here he is.  IGF is a long way from Ibrox. 

Not to sound harsh but quality players down on their luck sometimes go to Scotland to revive their careers, not leave it.  

Gale has a role for him in mind.  What exactly it is I don't know but he just looks a player who may be hard fitting into a system.  To be fair, its a bizarre year, these are the 1st tests these players have had in months, they haven't had a chance to find their roles.

But its a realy short tourney.  No ones getting 10 matches to prove themself.  

Scrappy Saturday match leans into what could be a scrappy Tuesday match against Pacific, who despite being good for a couple of 1st class arse moments every match otherwise look like they have something going on there. 

MIdweek matches give Valour & Co. a chance to open up a little space on the table should they get a result.  Especially if FCE can finaly get some good luck and come away with something against Wanderers.