Match Thread: Island Games - August 22, 2020 - York 9 v Valour

narduch

This one really is a must win for York 9 now. They’ve looked solid enough, but they’ve lacked that incisive attacking play in the final third. In a way, it’s pretty similar to what they were doing last season. I’m hoping that once the new guys settle in (hopefully in time to make a dent this season) that will turn around. I haven’t seen enough of Vasconcelos to really have an opinion on him, but Rivero looks good. That finish last game was top level stuff. He’s also got a great work rate, so I have high hopes for him. 

2 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

This one really is a must win for York 9 now. They’ve looked solid enough, but they’ve lacked that incisive attacking play in the final third. In a way, it’s pretty similar to what they were doing last season. I’m hoping that once the new guys settle in (hopefully in time to make a dent this season) that will turn around. I haven’t seen enough of Vasconcelos to really have an opinion on him, but Rivero looks good. That finish last game was top level stuff. He’s also got a great work rate, so I have high hopes for him. 

IT should be the first game we see Telfer, Petrasso and either Rivero or Gabby start. Hell I wouldnt mind seeing all four of them out there in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1

7 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

IT should be the first game we see Telfer, Petrasso and either Rivero or Gabby start. Hell I wouldnt mind seeing all four of them out there in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1

I’m on the same page with you there. I think it should be a 4-2-3-1, maybe something like this:

Ingham

Doner - Thompson - Gasparotto - Abzi

Murofushi - Aparicio

Vasconcelos - Ferrari - Telfer

Rivero

I’m not sure about the CAM spot, but I like what I’ve seen from Ferrari so far. 

Very interested to see what lineup Rob Gale puts out there. He had five changes to his eleven between the first and second match (one forced due to the injury to Bouka-Moutou). The team looked more effective in the second match, but much of that has to be put down to the difference in opponents. In particular, I'm interested to see if Fordyce gets another look in the starting lineup. He was ineffective against Cavalry, but has more experience and pedigree than most of the other midfield options. I don't see how Gale can leave off Ohin. Fraser Aird was the only non-defender that got back to back starts in the same spot (Levis moved to a new position). I expect the back line (with Levis in the left back spot) to remain intact, and I hope to see Ricci again at one of the striker spots.

Edited by jonovision

Seems more like the teams are starting to find their rythym more so than the wear and tear of the tournie schedule taking its toll.  Should be interesting. 

Not sure how much of the attacking output against Ottawa can be taken too seriously by Valour, things being what they were, still could be a fun one today.  Everyone is rotating players through the line up and we're seeing the consiquences in real time.  Not exactly the domain of nil-nil right now.   

Don't think we've seen the best of either of these teams yet, not by a long shot.  Hopefully today.

14 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m on the same page with you there. I think it should be a 4-2-3-1, maybe something like this:

Ingham

Doner - Thompson - Gasparotto - Abzi

Murofushi - Aparicio

Vasconcelos - Ferrari - Telfer

Rivero

I’m not sure about the CAM spot, but I like what I’ve seen from Ferrari so far. 

Petrasso? Joe Dichiara has to start hes been out best player. 

Hoping to see

Doner-Arnone-Gasparotto-Abzi

Petrasso-JDC-Fushi-Telfer

--------Gaby-Rivero

Intriguing game this one and the Edmonton vs Ottawa game.

If Valour pull off a win they are sitting pretty and York are under pressure with the next game against a Halifax side that looked very good against Forge, who york have to play after. Seems silly to say but this is must not lose, at least game for York. 

Likewise Edmonton. 3 losses would be a big mountain mentally, even if they have better fixtures ahead.

One nice (?) thing about these short tournies is those 2 points evaporating whenever there is a draw.   That string of draws at the start of the schedule really kept most of the table tight.  Both Forge and Cavalvry might not get results their next matchs.  That could really close up the table.

York came back into the game in the last part of the half. Pretty even. Valour look better in transition and build up not no finishing yet. York look dangerous when they do attack but stalemate so far. 

Such a shame Petrasso is off again. Sadly not a surprise. Hope it's nothing serious. York could do with Manella back sharpish.