Match Thread: Island Games - August 16, 2020 - Valour v Cavalry

narduch

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

I'm liking Dunn & JB.  Might be something there.

Agreed. Them and the guy who just came off injured are the only bright spots. 

Fraser Aird looks heavy and not his usually energetic self - you wouldn't know he's the only one on the field with Caps lol. 

Cavalry going full Honduras here in the last 10 minutes of the match. 

All in all, not an entirely discouraging performance. Last year's team would have folded like a cheap suit after the 2-0 goal.  A much better mentality and structure on display. Some very poor (Cebara, Campbell) or anonymous (Fordyce) individual performances, but some encouraging ones too. I like the pairing of Dunn and Jean-Baptiste, and Ohin was very bright in the second half. 

This was always going to be their most difficult match. I can see some 0-0 or 1-1 results going forward, but I don't see where the goals come from to win consistently.

Edited by jonovision

Farsi and Haber are fitting into Cavalry very well.  They don't look out of place at all.  Zebie has quietly looked good too.  Pepple looks stronger this year.  

Valour's defence looked good, outside of Cebara.  Ohin's energy gave Cavalry's mids a few fits, especially when he first came in.  There also should have been a penalty for Valour late on, but outside of that, Valour didn't do too much offensively to worry the Cavs.

Would at this point like to mention Bustos scored a nice goal-scorers snap shot the other day.

Anywho, 2- nil still feels a bit harsh but Valour has to threaten goal of they've any home of bringing something positive/marketable out of this tournie.

My thoughts on Valour's first game:

- Ohin needs to start.  Brought a lot of energy/pace. Even last year was always solid'

- Backline looked pretty good - especially Dunn

- Too many 50/50 long ball/giveaways - need more possession

- They are going to miss Bustos & his creativity in the mid/upfront

- Aird showed a few flashes, but needs the ball more and bigger sample to see if he's legit

Did I mention I miss Bustos?