Match Thread: Island Games - August 16, 2020 - Valour v Cavalry

narduch

Like last year, while everyone complained about the CBs, the real weakness of the Valour side was central midfield. Looks the same this year, with Fordyce and Carreiro seemingly unsure of how to get involved in the game. Team size, especially against a team like Cavalry that is constantly taking liberties, remains a problem.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

Mohamed Farsi is one to watch for the future. 

He could solve our national team's left back problem...😄

I'd like to see him work against a more competent opponent than Cebara, who appears not to be at CPL level, but there's promise there.

Also a bit puzzeled as to what the plan is going forward.  Not that Valour had anything of the ball that first half but still.  Not seeing anything in the way of close support in the attacking zone.  Nothing that looks especially intentional anyway.

First match, that's showing.  Really short tourney, the players have to have brought an understanding from day 1 and not seeing any of that yet.  That being said 2-nil feels harsh. 

Despite all the 2-2 draws, some teams have shown better than others. Cavalry are clearly the top side, Ottawa and York both looked poor. 2-0 is harsh, but I don't see how this Valour team scores goals. Halifax also seemed to have trouble generating anything, despite their two goals from the penalty spot.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

CPL refs seem to let some vicious tackles go unpunished not unlike last season.

On a different not, Valour seems to pushing the play offensively a little more. 

I think it's a corollary to the stupid "we don't dive in Canadian soccer" notion that was pushed early last year, which was always false, and seems to suggest diving is worse than reckless or violent play, which is also dumb.