Match Thread: Island Games - August 16, 2020 - Valour v Cavalry

narduch

Valour can go top of the league with a win. Even in last year's cursed season I believe Valour were briefly first after securing the first win in league history.

I don't know what they'll look like on the pitch, but I do like this year's collection of talent much better than the 2019 squad. It may not matter if Calvary spends the whole game scything down players and daring the referee to issue early cards. This was the approach in last year's first Calvary-Valour match, in which 3 Valour players were injured by questionable (or worse) challenges, including an ACL injury to the player their entire attack had been built around, Golubar. Golubar never played another minute in Canada.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Valour can go top of the league with a win. Even in last year's cursed season I believe Valour were briefly first after securing the first win in league history.

I don't know what they'll look like on the pitch, but I do like this year's collection of talent much better than the 2019 squad. It may not matter if Calvary spends the whole game scything down players and daring the referee to issue early cards. This was the approach in last year's first Calvary-Valour match, in which 3 Valour players were injured by questionable (or worse) challenges, including an ACL injury to the player their entire attack had been built around, Golubar. Golubar never played another minute in Canada.

I think they will be far better this year as well, although I would slot them more in the 4/5 area just because they're basically an expansion side now with all the turnover. It will be interesting to see how much rope Cavalry gets moving forward. I can see if Cavalry is way too physical the league is going to adapt and bring on the goons.

Valour have an intriguing collection of players. CBs look stronger, upgrade on paper at full back and an influx of talent on the wings and attack. Ironically if they are weak anywhere its central midfield, where they were overwhelmed last year.

Halifax had a higher turn over and looked ok yesterday so it comes down to the litmus test for Gale. Make or break for him this year.

21 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Valour have an intriguing collection of players. CBs look stronger, upgrade on paper at full back and an influx of talent on the wings and attack. Ironically if they are weak anywhere its central midfield, where they were overwhelmed last year.

Halifax had a higher turn over and looked ok yesterday so it comes down to the litmus test for Gale. Make or break for him this year.

I agree on the team, although as long as Valour isn't putrid I see Gale as safe.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Cavalry might have an extra advantage because they have played a competitive match.

This is my #1 reason I feel Valour will lose today.

Feeling easily more comfortable with the defending side of the team so far, but they haven't kicked a ball yet so...

Also, where do the goals come from?  

Will say this, Valour is not a team that will be bullyed by anyone this tourney.  

Looking forward to seeing Dunn and Campbell. I like the inverted wingers for valour. There back 5 looks so much more comfortable then last year. 

going to be an intresting set of games for them after last years embarrassment. If they can’t at least represent well the club could have to overhaul its management