Canadians abroad: Dec 06 - Dec 12 2019

jordan

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for Dec 6th - Dec 12th, 2019.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Ferdi Kadioglu comes on for 2nd half with Fenerbahce up 3-1 Genclerbirligi.

As I write this, he has just scored to put Fenerbahce up 4-1.  Now 4-2 in the 79th minute.  Beautiful shot, beautiful goal.

The way both Ferdi & Amuz are playing, I would love to see them both involved with camps/U23.  Also very interested to see where Gutierrez ends up and see more of what he can do.  Regardless of how little he has played, if you suit up for a club like Colo Colo, there is quality.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

Ferdi isn't going to file a switch to play U23. If he decides to represent Canada he would immediately get a look with the senior team.

I absolutely agree.  Will likely wait anyways before a final decision.  Tough to break into the Dutch senior team but I also believe he has to be on Turkey's radar as well.

Australia

Tom Heward-Belle was the Sydney FC back up in a 5-1 win over Brisbane Roar

England 

Junior Hoilett starts against Barnsley. 59 minutes in a 3-2 win in extra time

England U18

Theo Corbeanu started For Wolves U18 against Blackburn U18.  90 minutes in a 3-0 loss

Scotland

Liam Millar starts against Livingston, Simeon Jackson is on the bench. Millar goes 78 in a 3-0 loss

Zanatta in on the Partick bench for today’s match with Queen of the South.Came on at half and picks up a 2-1 win, Partick move off the bottom of the table

Charlie Trafford starts against Ayr. 90 minutes in a 2-0 win. Sitting in second place

Fraser Aird starts against Edinburgh City. 90 minutes in a 2-1 loss.

Serbia

Milan Borjan starts against Sp. Subotica. 90 minutes in a 3-1 win

5 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

Denmark 

Manjrekar James on the bench for Midtjylland against Brondby. He probably isn’t gonna play but if I remember correctly It’s the first time in a while that he made the 18.

I noticed he was on the bench last weekend, but not sure before that.

At half, Bayern 2, Spurs 1Davies having an incredible attacking role at LB as Bayern dominates. His runs and crosses were key in both Bayern goals. He was able to run back at huge speed when able to.fight the few Spurs counter attacjs. Spurs lucky not to be buried in first half.

Davies was attended to after rough challenge at Spurs goal end, but up and at em  right after bto continue his attacks. 

Edited by beachesl

Bayern wins 3-1, outclassing Spurs. The Argentine commentator here said Davies clear man of the match. Speedy. He was the initiator and carrier of all 3 Bayern goals, clearly given room to be forward. Attacking 80 % of match. His speed demonstrated by tracking back on clear Son fast breakaway and tackling him just metres from the goal mouth Fantastic, but playing LB for Bayern is a dfiferent position than playing LB for Canada.

Edited by beachesl

Very strong game from Davies yet again. Goal gave him an 8.6 out of 10 for his performance, fourth highest on team. For comparison, Courtinho was highest at 9.4 and Perisic was lowest at 4.8.

Davies never put a foot wrong all game. He contributed in attack, even hitting the post as mentioned and he shut everything down on his flank defensively.

The recovery speed to close down Son late in the second half was remarkable, then the composure to not foul him in the box was super impressive.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Very strong game from Davies yet again. Goal gave him an 8.6 out of 10 for his performance, fourth highest on team. For comparison, Courtinho was highest at 9.4 and Perisic was lowest at 4.8.

Davies never put a foot wrong all game. He contributed in attack, even hitting the post as mentioned and he shut everything down on his flank defensively.

The recovery speed to close down Son late in the second half was remarkable, then the composure to not foul him in the box was super impressive.

Whoscored made him Man of the match with a rating of 9.0. Coutinho with 8.9

29 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The kid seems to love getting stuck in, and I absolutely love it. He’s a brilliant one on one defender and I’m continually shocked at how little value many Canadians seem to place on this ability 

Perhaps you are confusing that with not being a good fit for left back with Canada? I see nothing but praise on this board for his ability to shut players down with Bayern.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

not being a good fit for left back with Canada?

I’d probably play him more advanced in many, maybe even most, situations with Canada but I still find that comment ridiculous. The tactics were wrong against the US but that doesn’t mean Davies couldn’t be used effectively as a LB in an attacking, shutdown, or more balanced role.  

Edited by Aird25

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Well it was a poor throw-in by Davies that turned the ball over and led to Spurs goal, but that's with his hands not his feet so technically your statement still stands ;)

12 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I’d probably play him more advanced in many, maybe even most, situations with Canada but I still find that comment ridiculous. The tactics were wrong against the US but that doesn’t mean Davies couldn’t be used effectively as a LB in an attacking, shutdown, or more balanced role.  

I never said he couldn't be used effectively at left back. I said he isn't a good fit at left back for Canada and we have ample evidence of that. Obviously that can change with better coaching, but Davies tries to do too much at left back for Canada and repeatedly gets caught up field and/or fails in his marking, leading to goals against in big games.

He has great potential as a left back, even for Canada, but as it stands now he isn't a good fit there. Something has to change either with him or the team if he's going to keep playing there for us.

Does it sound less ridiculous to you if I say he hasn't been a good fit at left back for Canada?

Edited by Obinna

• jordan unpinned this topic