Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

It doesn't sound like that's complete.  But the rumours swirling sure seem to indicate that a move of some sort is getting close.

And they won't get a real DP.  They'll take another chance on an Inboem style player - a TAM type player that they'll make a DP.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And they won't get a real DP.  They'll take another chance on an Inboem style player - a TAM type player that they'll make a DP.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought In-Beom was in the young DP category, so his cap hit would be notably lower (by about $400 K) than that of a garden variety DP.

As for In-Beom's possible replacement, I find it interesting that MDS had implied at times during this MiB that 4-4-2 was his preferred base formation, yet his personnel features players better suited to 4-3-3.  I mean, if he wants to continue with Adnan at left mid in 4-4-2, that leaves the squad top heavy with forward/winger types not necessarily suited for flank midfield duty.  Maybe he feels that he'd rather go with starting two of Owusu, Teibert, Bikel, or Rose instead of having to start three of them and then call upon his not-ready-Academy grads as regular replacements.  If they bring in a forward as a DP/young DP/TAM player to complement Cavallini, what does that say about the incumbents in that area of the field?  Will someone else in that pool be moving, too?

Edit:  after looking more closely at the league rules, I think In-Beom is indeed a full DP this year.

Edited by BearcatSA

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought In-Beom was in the young DP category, so his cap hit would be notably lower (by about $400 K) than that of a garden variety DP.

As for In-Beom's possible replacement, I find it interesting that MDS had implied at times during this MiB that 4-4-2 was his preferred base formation, yet his personnel features players better suited to 4-3-3.  I mean, if he wants to continue with Adnan at left mid in 4-4-2, that leaves the squad top heavy with forward/winger types not necessarily suited for flank midfield duty.  Maybe he feels that he'd rather go with starting two of Owusu, Teibert, Bikel, or Rose instead of having to start three of them and then call upon his not-ready-Academy grads as regular replacements.  If they bring in a forward as a DP/young DP/TAM player to complement Cavallini, what does that say about the incumbents in that area of the field?  Will someone else in that pool be moving, too?

Edit:  after looking more closely at the league rules, I think In-Beom is indeed a full DP this year.

Down to just the medical, apparently.

And the article says he counts as a young DP this year but would count as a full DP next year.

The Whitecaps have a history in recent years of wanting to play one formation and then just buying players they think are "deals" even if they don't fit the formation.  But honestly, regardless of formation, they need a proper attacking central midfielder.  Their best years came when they had Morales (healthy and playing well), and they've been cheap about it ever since.

Inbeom needed more muscle in the midfield with him to create some time and space for him. I think MDS brought in a couple pieces for this year but everything was disrupted. Good player but whatever he didnt look happy. Decent compensation so let's all move on

Edited by SpursFlu

On 8/9/2020 at 10:25 AM, Watchmen said:

Down to just the medical, apparently.

And the article says he counts as a young DP this year but would count as a full DP next year.

The Whitecaps have a history in recent years of wanting to play one formation and then just buying players they think are "deals" even if they don't fit the formation.  But honestly, regardless of formation, they need a proper attacking central midfielder.  Their best years came when they had Morales (healthy and playing well), and they've been cheap about it ever since.

Manuel doesn’t know what he’s talking about, Inbeom is a senior DP this year.

49 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Late to the party commenting on this, although I did see the breaking news.

I would be simply delighted if I had any faith on them bringing anyone worthy of being a DP in. 

Would be a bad move for Eustaquio. Could see them pushing to rebuild bridges with Fraser.

Honestly, they should wait until the off season/January transfer window.  What type of DP is going to want to relocate to Vancouver only to then spend a few months not here after the team goes down to the US for a few months?  But if you wait until the January transfer window, who knows what type of quality players might be struggling to find work?  If someone you think is really, really great and a good deal now, then sure.  Go for it.  But this time waiting until January might make some sense.

And believe me, I'm absolutely sick of the Whitecaps bullshit "wait until next transfer window" excuses they've been using for 3+ years now, but this time it might actually make sense.

The player that the 'Caps should be going for is Sarpreet Singh. He's young, can play in the '10' that they've been dying for for years, and would put 1-2k onto the average attendance if promoted right. Bayern have just sent him on a season's loan at Nuremburg, in Bundesliga 2. It'd take a LOT of convincing to get him to give up on his European dream, even if for the short term, for a move to MLS, though.

My advice to Schuster:  keep up the search for that mid 20s South American league attacking talent, someone (or more than one) who is going to make this team and MLS his port of destination and not just a port of call as he and his teammates earn league success.  Guys like Higuain, Valeri, Lodeiro, Blanco, Chara despite their personal success, weren't getting back into their NT set ups or going up to a higher profile/bigger pay day European league but have solidified their careers in MLS (Higuain continuing now with DC United in a supporting bench role).  And when you get success, you have a better chance of keeping it (with a few player change tinkers here and there) instead of having the club act as a farm team for Europe when you continually lose foundational players and the new guys coming in and needing over half a season to building chemistry ("the lads need time to gel") 

I used to chide the Robbo regime for looking for the "magic bullet" player solution but only because too often things looked haphazard in player acquisition.  But Schuster's stock in trade is player assessment/scouting so I want to see what he can do to find talent.

I'm a little concerned with the coaching staff's comments that 4-4-2 is their base formation but many of the players in the attack are better suited as wingers and forwards in a 4-3-3.  Going back to the rumour about Michel, I have to wonder if Schuster might opt to bring in "his" guy and not stick with the one he inherited, even if this season has a big asterisk beside it in the record book.

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

My advice to Schuster:  keep up the search for that mid 20s South American league attacking talent, someone (or more than one) who is going to make this team and MLS his port of destination and not just a port of call as he and his teammates earn league success.  Guys like Higuain, Valeri, Lodeiro, Blanco, Chara despite their personal success, weren't getting back into their NT set ups or going up to a higher profile/bigger pay day European league but have solidified their careers in MLS (Higuain continuing now with DC United in a supporting bench role).  And when you get success, you have a better chance of keeping it (with a few player change tinkers here and there) instead of having the club act as a farm team for Europe when you continually lose foundational players and the new guys coming in and needing over half a season to building chemistry ("the lads need time to gel") 

I used to chide the Robbo regime for looking for the "magic bullet" player solution but only because too often things looked haphazard in player acquisition.  But Schuster's stock in trade is player assessment/scouting so I want to see what he can do to find talent.

I'm a little concerned with the coaching staff's comments that 4-4-2 is their base formation but many of the players in the attack are better suited as wingers and forwards in a 4-3-3.  Going back to the rumour about Michel, I have to wonder if Schuster might opt to bring in "his" guy and not stick with the one he inherited, even if this season has a big asterisk beside it in the record book.

I'm also big on scouting the early to mid-20's South American talent.  I'd prefer they stayed, but if they move on for a profit I get that too.  But also in terms of them staying, well the Whitecaps have an absolute shit reputation of rewarding their players who have some success.  They're suddenly "demanding too much" and they're cut or traded rather than giving them any deserved raise.

Maybe I am not paying close enough attention, but I am not sure I get the complaints about this player.

Maybe he didn't meet the expectations that come with Designated Player status? That would be understandable, I guess.

He always looked like the best central midfielder on the team, despite not having the ability to take over a game, but I am not sure he was ever that kind of player to begin with. He seemed more like a luxury player, which is probably why some of you wanted him gone in replacement of a more dominant DP? 

I don't think the coaching staff really knew what they were getting with him.  He started off as an attacking midfielder with the other two mids in support, but then he was shifted to a much deeper role in midfield and in one game last year was even tried as an inverted winger on the left of the three man attack.  His final match with the club featured him as a second striker.  Sure, there are times that you have to move guys into different spots out of necessity but you certainly felt that the MDS was feeling that he wasn't getting enough out of his DP, hence the bouncing around.  I concur with others that his midfield supporting cast from last season didn't do him any favours.  It's disappointing that the In-Beom-Owusu-Bikel midfield never got a chance to play together.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:45 PM, Watchmen said:

I'm also big on scouting the early to mid-20's South American talent.  I'd prefer they stayed, but if they move on for a profit I get that too.  But also in terms of them staying, well the Whitecaps have an absolute **** reputation of rewarding their players who have some success.  They're suddenly "demanding too much" and they're cut or traded rather than giving them any deserved raise.

One thing we'll see (once again) will be another big personnel turnover once this season is over, whenever and however that happens.  Montero, Reyna (both gone on free transfers), Adnan (sold for bigger coin), Milinkovic (loan not renewed), Khmiri (?).  The biggest move might end up being the coach as Schuster decides to go with his own choice and not stay with the one he inherited. 

22 hours ago, Big_M said:

he wasnt good enough to be a dp plain and simple..and in the dos santos era we keep seeing the same type of signings..guys who have proved little or struggling and now expected to be difference makers..not working for the most part until now

86forever.com had a good write up on him a few weeks ago.  Basically said that Hwang's stats compare favourably to some TAM players, but not at all to a DP.

DPs who are difference makers is what this club has failed at getting repeatedly.  They hope they have it now in Cavallini.  Now they need to find a DP who can control the midfield and get him the ball.

11 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

One thing we'll see (once again) will be another big personnel turnover once this season is over, whenever and however that happens.  Montero, Reyna (both gone on free transfers), Adnan (sold for bigger coin), Milinkovic (loan not renewed), Khmiri (?).  The biggest move might end up being the coach as Schuster decides to go with his own choice and not stay with the one he inherited. 

Do you think Montero and Reyna will be gone because they don't want to be back or because the club doesn't want them back?  I can see the club trying to retain Montero at a lower price, and it continues to be a region of the world he wants to live in (even if he preferred it was a few hours south).  I can see them bring back Reyna too, depending on the money.  Agreed Adnan should (and likely will) be sold, though I'm not sure it will be for a large amount.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Do you think Montero and Reyna will be gone because they don't want to be back or because the club doesn't want them back?  I can see the club trying to retain Montero at a lower price, and it continues to be a region of the world he wants to live in (even if he preferred it was a few hours south).  I can see them bring back Reyna too, depending on the money.  Agreed Adnan should (and likely will) be sold, though I'm not sure it will be for a large amount.

Montero is a depreciating commodity.  If the club is truly all-in on a young guy like Bair, shouldn't he be getting legitimate minutes over him, hopefully allowing him to develop his game, and then the club could sell him off at a high price because that seems to be their M.O. right now?  Dajome is a Reyna replacement (better off the counter than anything else) and I always sensed that MDS has had trouble trying to get the most out of the Peruvian consistently, but I think he can fetch some decent return.  If they could make money off of HIB's inconsistent club form, they surely could get decent coin for a much more effective club performer in Adnan. 

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

86forever.com had a good write up on him a few weeks ago.  Basically said that Hwang's stats compare favourably to some TAM players, but not at all to a DP.

DPs who are difference makers is what this club has failed at getting repeatedly.  They hope they have it now in Cavallini.  Now they need to find a DP who can control the midfield and get him the ball.

There's a lot of hit and miss with DPs but in general the ones that stand out are the guys that make their teammates better or their own play remains at a high level even if the club around them is suspect (Zlatan in LA).