Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

51 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

5 dropped out, 2 injuries. Raposo and Bair are forwards so MDS bench options in midfield were.. Baldisimo(20) Colyn(18) Pencile (18) 

So let's be real

Cornelius was the best option. Head scratching that he was left off, especially with all of the corners being conceded. He might have made a tackle or two as well, unlike In-Beom who was atrocious.

1 minute ago, Soro17 said:

Cornelius was the best option. Head scratching that he was left off, especially with all of the corners being conceded. He might have made a tackle or two as well, unlike In-Beom who was atrocious.

Yah.. MDS could have done that its true. But big picture it's all a bit of a wash at this point

27 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Good coaching is like Texas hold 'em:  sometimes it's more about how well you play your weak cards as opposed to getting a good hand.  In his own words, MDS says that the team has "nothing to lose" so why not bring in Cornelius (a former midfielder, btw) to bolster the midfield and park a bus?  I can bet that he would have taken a card on Salinas long before the former Cap was near the penalty area on the run for his winning goal, who knows?  20/20 hindsight benefit there.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Good coaching is like Texas hold 'em:  sometimes it's more about how well you play your weak cards as opposed to getting a good hand.  In his own words, MDS says that the team has "nothing to lose" so why not bring in Cornelius (a former midfielder, btw) to bolster the midfield and park a bus?  I can bet that he would have taken a card on Salinas long before the former Cap was near the penalty area on the run for his winning goal, who knows?  20/20 hindsight benefit there.

Well, with 90% humidity, a non-existent midfield and an rapidly deteriorating 2nd half performance in the first game back after 4 months, I can't come up with any scenario (except I suppose the MDS dreamworld) where you would leave 1 sub on the bench, let alone 2.    

they are doing nothing with the possession..no creation no one even attempting something..teibert inbeom is just not working..they gotta get inbeom out in the next window and bring a real dp..when you see teibert being a sure starter when he brings so little on the ball other than lateral and back passes says a lot..you need reyna in the middle when you have these players..you cant have him waiting for balls and never getting it so being useless

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vancouver, possession 61%.

I thought the funniest part of their possession was when they had the ball for many consecutive passes deep in the Sounders' end during first half stoppage time and had no idea how to penetrate the Seattle defence, so they simply passed the ball around until the ref blew his whistle to end the half.

I could see that Seattle made sure that they had a wide midfielder in close proximity to Adnan further up the pitch to keep him from getting a full head of steam but I wasn't sure of the reasoning behind having Teibert out there in a wide left mid position instead of Milinkovic who, though pretty heavily right-sided, has been a good complement for the Iraqi LB.  Milinkovic was really poor on the right while Adnan didn't provide his usual offensive gusto, resorting more to longer diagonal crosses from the left.  The bigger Sounders threat was on Nerwinski's side where he needed more help from a guy of Rusty's defensive skillset to deal with the direct play of Morris.

I hope Crepeau's injury is not too serious.  Great double save by Hasal (that was my highlight of the night for the Caps).

I got up early to watch, though not THAT early, and saw 2 minutes before the lightning delay. Then missed the restart. 

I was glad to see how they celebrated, that shows some team mentality. The team has no midfield and has some weak coaching, IMO, but there are pieces that suggest it can be more than a bottom feeder. There is also a bit of leadership, which the team has to run with (ADNAN). The key is to learn how to meet the opponent in the middle of the field, to do what you have to with a lead (see Impact's last game), and probably they need some more skill to to that. You cannot be sitting back that deep at any level of pro football.

Well I am ambivalent about Michel (José Miguel González), since he being a RM player I hated his guts. Also because he was a jerk on the field. He was a very solid player, with pace and goal scoring, and defended, and was highly competitive.

But he is probably not a bad trainer. He is smart, is motivated, and has some experience. He is a good communicator in Spanish, though I doubt his English is that great. His results are not that bad either, without ever having headed up a top team (Sevilla, Olympiacos). I am not saying he is a great tactician, or has anything special about him as a coach, but I don't think he'd be a bad option at all.

He'd certainly be, in terms of experience as a player and as a coach, a step up from MDS. If we don't get him, no loss. If the story suggests the FO is looking for a quality replacement for Dos Santos, well that could be a good sign.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 weeks later...