General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Top 5 for MLS power rankings are Atlanta, Seattle, LAFC, Minnesota and Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver are 14 and 19 respectively.

I think Atlanta are overrated. I expect them to slip without Josef Martinez. I would love for them to miss the play offs. I find myself cheering against them and Seattle at every opportunity :)

Me too! And I could easily see LAFC in that group too if not for Kaye and Jakovic (and previously MDS).  

I'd love to see Atlanta flop and I really think they might with the timing of this Martinez injury.  If they get deep into the CCL they could be in for a TFC 2018 year.  

• 4 weeks later...

USSF folded. That's a shame. I know it was a big part of what the WHITECAPS academy had been doing. I would stream playoff games and it was fun to watch. Interesting to see what comes in its place. I also felt it was a bit too big anyways. Whitecaps would fly to LA to beat teams 8-1, 5-1. I'm not sure it was always worth it. Maybe the CSA could step in to do something while working with the MLS teams

• 3 weeks later...

IFAB institutes temporary amendment to allow five substitutes per game

The International Football Association Board has agreed to a temporary change to the Laws of the Game that allows five substitutions for leagues resuming play following the coronavirus pandemic.

The temporary amendment “comes into force with immediate effect,” for leagues that have started or intending to start with a scheduled completion before Dec. 31, 2020. Major League Soccer would fall under those parameters. There will still only be three substitution windows for those five changes to be made. Subs can also be made at halftime.

IFAB said the decision was made with players’ welfare in mind with the likelihood of matches “played in a condensed period in different weather conditions.”

The temporary amendment is at the discretion of each individual competition organizer, while IFAB and FIFA will determine at a later stage whether this temporary amendment would need to be extended further.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the players still need to self-quarantine for two weeks when they travel there from out-of-state.  If they can't train during that time, they'll need some time to train after that.  That's probably what the one month buffer is for.

20 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Why self quarantine? Because the Canadian teams? Only international flights there is technically a 14 day quarantine.. correct? 

I guess silence means I'm right. So irrational optics. Like someone sitting in the stands for 90 minutes without anyone within 20 feet of them having to wear a mask

Edited by SpursFlu