General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

What structural changes have occurred to allow MLS to spend 122m euro in this window? In MLS 2.0 transfer fees counted against the cap. The only change I recall was the split with the league changing for homegrown players, but I thought the cap still restricted how this could be spent. To be fair, I stopped paying attention after TAM...

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

Looks like the MLS will start to experiment with subbing off a player that suffers a concussion , and not having it count as one of the 3 substitution a team can make. Moreover, if a player is deemed to be ok he can come back into the game and the player that replaced him would then come off. This is something I hope all leagues will eventually implement. Moreover, I think this will also be used in the Olympic soccer tournament this year . This is something that is long over due .

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Looks like the MLS will start to experiment with subbing off a player that suffers a concussion , and not having it count as one of the 3 substitution a team can make. Moreover, if a player is deemed to be ok he can come back into the game and the player that replaced him would then come off. This is something I hope all leagues will eventually implement. Moreover, I think this will also be used in the Olympic soccer tournament this year . This is something that is long over due .

I agree with this in principal but don't you think it could be abused? If a player is deemed to have a concussion there is no chance he or she should be coming back on and who's to say players won't abuse this if all 3 subs have been used?

Vancouver at LA Galaxy..first half crepeau comes way out for no reason..close to a big mistake galaxy take shot and close to scoring..his bad decision making doesnt stop..wont make playoffs with him as gk..san jose and houston weak teams as usual..lose 2-5 and 0-4 to minnesota and skc..kinda of skc what a player..just seems like they have new life with him and pulido..getting back to being a very strong team

Boy Drew Moor gets the winner and colorado are 2 in 2..talk about so many ppl having absolutely no idea last years just looking at a players age and saying hes done hes too slow..still dont understand that you cant only judge a player on age

34 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Vancouver at LA Galaxy..first half crepeau comes way out for no reason..close to a big mistake galaxy take shot and close to scoring..his bad decision making doesnt stop..wont make playoffs with him as gk..san jose and houston weak teams as usual..lose 2-5 and 0-4 to minnesota and skc..kinda of skc what a player..just seems like they have new life with him and pulido..getting back to being a very strong team

I wouldn't blame Crepeau on that one.  He may have not needed to come out, but he clearly called for the ball and the new RB Bikel cleared anyway, which left Crepeau in no man's land.  

20 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Boy Drew Moor gets the winner and colorado are 2 in 2..talk about so many ppl having absolutely no idea last years just looking at a players age and saying hes done hes too slow..still dont understand that you cant only judge a player on age

Good for him.  Moor would be #3 at best at TFC, and makes too much money for a #3.  Not sure people said he was done, just surplus to requirements.

the two big money strikers in this one hernandez and cavallini look out of it and frustrated..they gotta get hwang out of vancouver sooner than later..what a mistake to bring him as dp..and teibert being his partner the middle..lol do you really think you will be a winning team in mls with that..and milinkovic and dajome just looking like lass venuto etc..boy is dos santos bad at bringing players..and as I write this crepeau just smacks a ball right out of play..well at least they keeping them at 0-0 away from home after 65

20 hours ago, gator said:

I agree with this in principal but don't you think it could be abused? If a player is deemed to have a concussion there is no chance he or she should be coming back on and who's to say players won't abuse this if all 3 subs have been used?

I know what you mean it can be abused , but it’s kind of crazy the way it is now guy gets a head injury and you almost want to keep him on so you don’t have to use one of your three subs . This needs to be addressed, these players have hopefully long lives to live after their playing days are done and to be affected the rest of your life from concussions suffered in your playing days is not a good thing.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:22 PM, Big_M said:

Looks like strong picks for teams that will make playoffs..could see Philadelphia and Minnesota making it but agree with the rest

Time to make predictions for who will make playoffs, a little late as 2 matchdays past

Last year I got 11 of 14 picks correct

This is what Stejskal has this year:

Im gonna go with these 14 teams to make the playoffs, in no specific order:

East:
Atlanta
New England
Toronto
Philadelphia
D.C.
Montreal
Cincinnati (upset pick)

West:
LAFC
LA Galaxy
Portland
Seattle
Sporting KC
RSL
Minnesota

Mostly agree with him in the West and mostly disagree in the East..think nyc didnt bring enough quality in the offseason and that will hurt them..red bull..armas still seems clueless..miami think will take time as they are an expansion..columbus really looking good but also like cincy with their player signings expect for their coach situation..in the west just dont see it with dallas..you look at that team and ask who are their dp's?? and for san jose think they were naive and didnt bring enough quality..alanis is good but you gotta bring a bigger number of high quality players than that

Top 5 for MLS power rankings are Atlanta, Seattle, LAFC, Minnesota and Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver are 14 and 19 respectively.

I think Atlanta are overrated. I expect them to slip without Josef Martinez. I would love for them to miss the play offs. I find myself cheering against them and Seattle at every opportunity :)