General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

Official: Dax McCarty traded to Nashville SC

Official: Nashville add versatile defender Dave Romney from LA Galaxy

2 good pickups for Nashville

Report: Chicago Fire part ways with head coach Veljko Paunovic

Paunovic finally gone..very bad with Chicago..is new owner Mansueto making a full cleanup..next must be Rodriguez who kept Paunovic all this time

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4005723/vancouver-whitecaps-coach-fined-for-mls-amateur-comments

MDS as per usual has been guzzling that truth syrup. How in the hell are players like Inbeom and Ali Adnan supposed to stay viable on the global market when they spend 4 months running on a treadmill. MLS needs to fix this ASAP

While he's at it, can MDS guzzle some more win syrup for 2020?

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Ponzi scheme much?

Sounds like what I see in the comment sections of soccer articles in the mainstream media . Soccer haters calling the MLS a Ponzi scheme . The NHL expanded a lot in the past 30 years as well so I guess they were a Ponzi scheme too.  The MLS wants to also get to a certain number and into certain markets for TV reasons too. Moreover, a expansion fee of 325 millions is still a lot less then any of the top 4 pro sports leagues in the US it’s not even close.

Edited by SoccMan

On 12/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, SoccMan said:

Sounds like what I see in the comment sections of soccer articles in the mainstream media . Soccer haters calling the MLS a Ponzi scheme . The NHL expanded a lot in the past 30 years as well so I guess they were a Ponzi scheme too.  The MLS wants to also get to a certain number and into certain markets for TV reasons too. Moreover, a expansion fee of 325 millions is still a lot less then any of the top 4 pro sports leagues in the US it’s not even close.

The NHL expanded by 10 teams in the past 30 years (with an 11th on the way), most of that the 1990's and lured by the promise of "getting to a number and into certain markets for TV reasons".  They've never hit big on TV in the US (relative to other sports), while players salaries at the top have stagnated (again, relative to other sports).  When MLS is done this round of expansion, they'll have jumped from 10 teams in 2004 to 30 in 2022, or 20 teams over 18 years.  I'm not trying to hate on MLS, but that's an alarming rate of growth.  I'm not at all sure what justifies the $325 million expansion price, because the TV numbers and revenue sure as hell aren't there yet.

Not even thinking of it in the financial sense, as a fan, its basically a part time job to follow the league now because its gotten so big.

When teams come visit TFC now there is very little familiarity. And it will only get worse, especially for Western teams that you might go 3-4 years without seeing.

50 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Boy really looks like Arena and Revs are building a contender and going all out..new training center, already 3 dps, bring in 2 strong fullbacks in rowe and sinovic and squad is almost already set ready to go..wow what a turnaround

Only thing missing is a decent stadium to play their games.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at where that player lives the guy Nashville just drafted lol, his parents live in what looks like a 2 million dollar home lol, look at the other houses in that neighborhood. Until more players are coming from the poorer areas of the US and even Canada to a certain extent will both countries start producing more world class players , soccer right now especially in the US is still considered the sport of the white kid from a upper class family lol.