General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

I think we had 3 first rounders last year, Montgomery, Buchanon and StCLair.  Only Buchanon got some MLS games...StClair spent time with MInn and their USL farm club, Montgomery was on the USL-1 champs.  Even for the high picks, getting minutes is a tough job.  

Edited by Bison44

3 hours ago, to70 said:

All 4 of these draftees came through Vaughan SC.

Came through Vaughan soccer club ok, but spending a year or two like a few of these guys did  in their last year or two of youth soccer doesn’t really  in my book mean they were developed by this club. If your trying to insinuate that this club developed these players that’s a bit inaccurate, if that’s not what your trying to say then my bad from reading too much into this. For me a youth club can take some responsibility for developing a player  if a player has spent a decent amount of time as a youth player with that club. One thing I will say about Vaughan is that they are pretty good at recruiting good players from other clubs into their older age groups and then claiming them as their own after after some of these players spent a lot of their developing years with other clubs .

Edited by SoccMan

11 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Came through Vaughan soccer club ok, but spending a year or two like a few of these guys did  in their last year or two of youth soccer doesn’t really  in my book mean they were developed by this club. If your trying to insinuate that this club developed these players that’s a bit inaccurate, if that’s not what your trying to say then my bad from reading too much into this. For me a youth club can take some responsibility for developing a player  if a player has spent a decent amount of time as a youth player with that club. One thing I will say about Vaughan is that they are pretty good at recruiting good players from other clubs into their older age groups and then claiming them as their own after after some of these players spent a lot of their developing years with other clubs .

All i meant was this interesting that they all came from that one Club. Pretty sure that Harris played there most of his youth(He reffed for me in another organization). It seems that the go to Clubs or academies seem to change every couple of years. I know that in my years of coaching many of my players were "recruited" by others. At one time there regs about how many players you were allowed outside of your area, but pretty sure that's long gone. And then there are coaches who move from club to club taking most of their players with them.

1 hour ago, to70 said:

All i meant was this interesting that they all came from that one Club. Pretty sure that Harris played there most of his youth(He reffed for me in another organization). It seems that the go to Clubs or academies seem to change every couple of years. I know that in my years of coaching many of my players were "recruited" by others. At one time there regs about how many players you were allowed outside of your area, but pretty sure that's long gone. And then there are coaches who move from club to club taking most of their players with them.

Ok fair enough but was just trying to basically show that some of these guys spent a lot more time with other clubs than they did with Vaughan. Alistair Johnson for example was with Aurora FC from the age of 8 until the age of 15. That’s 8 years and a lot of his formative years at that. 

20 hours ago, to70 said:

Just wondering if there were this many(4) Canadians drafted this early previuosly?

Past first rounders:

2013 - Bekker and Welshman*

2014 - Tesho

2015 - Larin and Thomas

2016 - Laryea

2017 - Awuah and Wright (Shome drafted in 2nd round)

2018 - None

2019 - Montgomery, St. Clair and Buchanan (Miller drafted in 2nd round)

I mentioned Shome and Miller because they are capped internationals.

So, for as weak as the MLS draft generally is we have done really well as Canadians.  Our percentage of players making it has to be right up there with any nation.  6 capped internationals in the previous 7 drafts... not bad at all. 

Also notable that out of those first round picks the only ones to not make an appearance in MLS are Thomas, Montgomery and St. Clair.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

On 1/10/2020 at 10:30 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Past first rounders:

2013 - Bekker and Welshman*

2014 - Tesho

2015 - Larin and Thomas

2016 - Laryea

2017 - Awuah and Wright (Shome drafted in 2nd round)

2018 - None

2019 - Montgomery, St. Clair and Buchanan (Miller drafted in 2nd round)

I mentioned Shome and Miller because they are capped internationals.

So, for as weak as the MLS draft generally is we have done really well as Canadians.  Our percentage of players making it has to be right up there with any nation.  6 capped internationals in the previous 7 drafts... not bad at all. 

Also notable that out of those first round picks the only ones to not make an appearance in MLS are Thomas, Montgomery and St. Clair.  

At the time of writing St. Clair is the only keeper listed under contract for Minnesota, so his chances of making an appearance in MLS this year seem fairly high (though no doubt they will sign at least one other keeper before the season begins I should think).

It would be nice to see of Montgomery can make a breakthrough this year as well.

Colorado squad looks interesting and they have a strong coach..wouldnt be surprised if they make the playoffs this year..just brought namli benezet and signed a winger from argentina coming in the summer..and solidified at the back with abubakar trusty moor..not bad fraser not bad

2020 Colorado Rapids Roster as of January 15, 2020:

HEAD COACH: Robin Fraser

FORWARDS (7):

• Benezet, Nicolas
  • Hundley, Matt
  • Jackson, Niki
  • Kamara, Kei
  • Lewis, Jonathan
  • Nicholson, Sam
  • Rubio, Diego
  • Shinyashiki, Andre

MIDFIELDERS (6):