General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

17 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm shocked to hear TFC are so quick and ready to shift operations to the US

What's the alternative, if the federal government still won't let teams enter Canada with a 14-day quarantine each time in September.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 2:53 PM, SpursFlu said:

Word is Caps will relocate to Portland. I assume Seattle's not available because the Seahawks 

Relocating teams to the US doesn't make sense to me from a safety perspective. Aren't you putting those Vancouver players more at risk by relocating them to an city with more cases?

On the other hand maybe that is better for the Canadian public than having American teams come up here...

I hate to think it, but would this open the door to MLS repatriating our Canadian teams?

If boarders can lock up at any time, a cross-boarder league doesn't really make sense. Then toss the pre-existing problems with MLS in Canada on top of that....

I think we need to be careful we don't lose our Canadian MLS teams for good. 

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Relocating teams to the US doesn't make sense to me from a safety perspective. Aren't you putting those Vancouver players more at risk by relocating them to an city with more cases?

On the other hand maybe that is better for the Canadian public than having American teams come up here...

I hate to think it, but would this open the door to MLS repatriating our Canadian teams?

If boarders can lock up at any time, a cross-boarder league doesn't really make sense. Then toss the pre-existing problems with MLS in Canada on top of that....

From a safety perspective they said similar things about Orlando and Florida.

I do take your point about a general issue with Canadian trams playing in an American league. I wish they played in the CPL but its complicated 

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

From a safety perspective they said similar things about Orlando and Florida.

I do take your point about a general issue with Canadian trams playing in an American league. I wish they played in the CPL but its complicated 

I wonder, have they considered the riots as a safety concern? They continue to rage on and the situation is volatile and may only get worse closer to election time. 

As for the Canadian teams playing in the CPL, I think we'd be looking at a Vancouver Whitecaps 2.0. Would they even be able to retain the branding, naming, etc? Those things may belong to MLS, but maybe not? A lot of unanswered questions around that.

Now that we are forming a base with CPL, I think it would be a big, big loss to our pathway if we lose our outlet to MLS via Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wonder, have they considered the riots as a safety concern? They continue to rage on and the situation is volatile and may only get worse closer to election time. 

As for the Canadian teams playing in the CPL, I think we'd be looking at a Vancouver Whitecaps 2.0. Would they even be able to retain the branding, naming, etc? Those things may belong to MLS, but maybe not? A lot of unanswered questions around that.

Now that we are forming a base with CPL, I think it would be a big, big loss to our pathway if we lose our outlet to MLS via Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver.

I dont know. Shacking up in DT Portland doesn't seem like the smartest thing right now. I agree the entire idea seems absurd. I wish the 3 Canadian teams got an exemption for this year and they just expanded the Voyageurs cup and they did that in the fall but I know that's too simple

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Oh Man!!  The "MLS is terrible for Canada" contingent on this board is going to have a field day with this post!  : )

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Its pretty clear that we are in unique circumstances nowadays.  Whatever they decide, it will be because of circumstances we are in and should not be a reflection of future ambitions.    I thought that the talk was that, as long as the US border is closed,  the canadian teams would have to play a schedule that involved only CnD teams playing each other. 

The challenge with that is that there are only so many games that they could play amongst each other without compromising the integritty of a balanced MLS schedule.   Plus,  no one has ever mentioned this,  TFC should easily have the ability to charter fly for these games.  But is it the same for Vancouver and Montreal?   Based on what we know about the operations, i would think that the answer is No.   That would explain why the league has these stipulations in their collective bargaining (ie.:  some teams can afford that kind of stuff but others could not).   So it would make sence to me that that playing some sort of interlocking sched for cnd teams would not please Vancouver and Montreal.  And, that playing in the US (a few miles down the road) in front of no fans would be better option logistically and financially.  

Edited by Free kick

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Its pretty clear that we are in unique circumstances nowadays.  Whatever they decide, it will be because of circumstances we are in and should not be a reflection of future ambitions.    I thought that the talk was that, as long as the US border is closed,  the canadian teams would have to play a schedule that involved only CnD teams playing each other. 

The challenge with that is that there are only so many games that they could play amongst each other without compromising the integritty of the balanced MLS schedule.   Plus,  no one has ever mentioned this,  TFC should easily have the ability to charter fly for these games.  But is it the same for VAncouver and Montreal?   Based on what we know about the operations, i would think that the answer is No.   that would explain why the league has these stipulations in their collective bargaining (ie.:  some teams can afford that kine of stuff but others could not).   So it would make sence to me that that playing some sort of interlocking sched would not please Vancouver and Montreal.  And, that playing in the US (a few miles down the road) in front of no fans would be better option logistically and financially.  

It has just come out that Canadian teams will play against each other (in home markets) for now. The article is on mlssoccer.com and it didn't take long for someone (probably an American) to suggest our 3 teams leave Major League soccer and be replaced by American teams.

I know the intention is for this all to be temporary, but temporary sometimes has a habit of becoming permanent, and that's my concern. 

Also, the Canadian Championship will be a one-off final between the best MLS team per these games and the Island Games CPL Champion. Logistically it makes sense, we are already in August and the warm weather won't stick around forever...

Edited by Obinna

30 minutes ago, narduch said:

The CSA's Voyageurs Cup announcement confirms the mini series of matches between the 3 MLS clubs begins Aug 18.

I kind of like it. CPL gets a shot to go straight into the Champions League. I like it.

What happens to the CONCACAF league spot?

Come to think of it...what even happens to CONCACAF league?

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I know the intention is for this all to be temporary, but temporary sometimes has a habit of becoming permanent, and that's my concern. 

MLS is no different than the NBA, MLB or NHL.   They are businesses. Made up of indiviual investor who have vested interest in their own markets.  There is no other authority out there superceding this structure.  The only way teams move is if an owner decides re location his team or if he/she sells a team to another owner who wants to move it to another city.   That always happens when an an ownernis not making money.  As long as owners of canadian teams decide not to sell nor move, no cnd team is going anywhere.

Edited by Free kick

33 minutes ago, Free kick said:

MLS is no different than the NBA, MLB or NHL.   They are businesses. Made up of indiviual investor who have vested interest in their own markets.  There is no other authority out there superceding this structure.  The only way teams move is if an owner decides re location his team or if he/she sells a team to another owner who wants to move it to another city.   That always happens when an an ownernis not making money.  As long as owners of canadian teams decide not to sell nor move, no cnd team is going anywhere.

You are most certainly correct, but how long until owners decide to move or sell? I sincerely hope the answer is never. I love all of our Canadian MLS teams. At the end of the day though, it is business. If the situation does not improve for an extended period of time, I can see them losing more money than American teams.

I must stress I hope none of that happens.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

It has just come out that Canadian teams will play against each other (in home markets) for now. The article is on mlssoccer.com and it didn't take long for someone (probably an American) to suggest our 3 teams leave Major League soccer and be replaced by American teams.

Also, the Canadian Championship will be a one-off final between the best MLS team per these games and the Island Games CPL Champion. Logistically it makes sense, we are already in August and the warm weather won't stick around forever...

For me the writing is on the wall. This Canadian series leading to the Canadian championship will be it for them.

Unless the Feds drops the 2 weeks self isolation (which they won't), there's no way they can do same day trips like Mtl preseident implied and staying in the US for months is a tough ask...

MLS preparing a US and Canadian schedule means excluding them is very well on the table.

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

For me the writing is on the wall. This Canadian series leading to the Canadian championship will be it for them.

Unless the Feds drops the 2 weeks self isolation (which they won't), there's no way they can do same day trips like Mtl preseident implied and staying in the US for months is a tough ask...

MLS preparing a US and Canadian schedule means excluding them is very well on the table.

Spot on. I don't see how any of this works out, especially for the 2020 season. 

As for 2021, I am not particularly optimistic either. 

On some level, it comes down public opinion. That may sound silly, and maybe it is, but here me out...

The feds are public servants, right? Sure, sometimes they may not act like it, but they are in fact beholden to the will of the people on some level (to what degree is debatable, but this isn't the place). The fact is, for now these measures are seen by the public (at least on the surface) as necessary to ensure safety. Therefore, the feds have the buy-in from the public they need. That's where we are at today.

Tomorrow? Who's to say...

If I had to make a prediction, I would say Canadian MLS will be forced to go the relocation route this season and into the next. Who pays for that? Do the 3 clubs foot the bill, possibly with help from the other clubs? Do they split the cost equally? How long can our clubs survive without ticket sales? Won't there be a loss of interest with teams perpetually playing outside of Canada? At what point do owners ponder a US relocation? It would be the next logical step.

None of this would bode well for Canadian soccer.

The one caveat, and it really is a pie in the sky idea (hope?), is that maybe, just maybe, this 2 week isolation thing will be resolved post-US election. What do we have to do with the US election you may ask? Not much, but the narrative that America is the hardest hit country in the world has political underpinnings, and this narrative suits the democrats (not the place to expand on that).

Maybe post-election (regardless of who wins) politics fades into the background. Maybe then the narrative about covid-19 in America, absent of political charge, turns more positive. Maybe that leads to the pandemic being reported on less negatively on both sides of the boarder. With a less negative spin, maybe Canadian attitudes towards the US covid situation begin to change. With that, maybe the Canadian authorities begin to ease up? 

This is all a big fat "Maybe", but it's something to be hopeful about....

Edit: The same may be true if you replace "politics" with "vaccine". That could also change attitudes.

Edited by Obinna

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Spot on. I don't see how any of this works out, especially for the 2020 season. 

As for 2021, I am not particularly optimistic either. 

On some level, it comes down public opinion. That may sound silly, and maybe it is, but here me out...

The feds are public servants, right? Sure, sometimes they may not act like it, but they are in fact beholden to the will of the people on some level (to what degree is debatable, but this isn't the place). The fact is, for now these measures are seen by the public (at least on the surface) as necessary to ensure safety. Therefore, the feds have the buy-in from the public they need. That's where we are at today.

Tomorrow? Who's to say...

If I had to make a prediction, I would say Canadian MLS will be forced to go the relocation route this season and into the next. Who pays for that? Do the 3 clubs foot the bill, possibly with help from the other clubs? Do they split the cost equally? How long can our clubs survive without ticket sales? Won't there be a loss of interest with teams perpetually playing outside of Canada? At what point do owners ponder a US relocation? It would be the next logical step.

None of this would bode well for Canadian soccer.

The one caveat, and it really is a pie in the sky idea (hope?), is that maybe, just maybe, this 2 week isolation thing will be resolved post-US election. What do we have to do with the US election you may ask? Not much, but the narrative that America is the hardest hit country in the world has political underpinnings, and this narrative suits the democrats (not the place to expand on that).

Maybe post-election (regardless of who wins) politics fades into the background. Maybe then the narrative about covid-19 in America, absent of political charge, turns more positive. Maybe that leads to the pandemic being reported on less negatively on both sides of the boarder. With a less negative spin, maybe Canadian attitudes towards the US covid situation begin to change. With that, maybe the Canadian authorities begin to ease up? 

This is all a big fat "Maybe", but it's something to be hopeful about....

Edit: The same may be true if you replace "politics" with "vaccine". That could also change attitudes.

You're getting a bit Trumpy there. 🙄

It's not a narrative that there the hardest hit of the world's developed countries. It's mathematics.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

You're getting a bit Trumpy there. 🙄

It's not a narrative that there the hardest hit of the world's developed countries. It's mathematics.

It's both, at least if you believe the official numbers that come out of China, where the virus originated.