Match Thread: July 17, 2019 - Forge FC v HFX Wanderers

It's a Forge home game so of course there is a strong risk of thunderstorms, hopefully they hold off, I'll be bringing rain gear as usual! It will interesting if Forge can carry on with their offensive output like we saw at Pacific on Saturday, with Valour coming in on Saturday I expect some squad rotation!

14 minutes ago, Tigers said:

The rain seems to have finally stopped, let's hope that any further weather holds off until after the game.

I hope it stays dry, a friend of mine is over from Coventry England and is taking in his first CPL match, not that he isn't used to watching football in the rain but it would be nice if it holds off for all of us!

Henry looked a little shaky this game, especially on the play where he was given a yellow. I also noticed he likes to avoid catching the ball at its highest point and waits to caress it in his hands, this habit has caused a few scares.

Not much to say about this one. Baffled by Bona, Schaale, John and Perea on the bench so early in the season in a key game. 

We we not good enough in pretty well any regard. Tough to say where we go from here. We needed to at least split those points and it wasn't even close. 

Just no where near good enough. If we turn the road play around soon our season will be done after the first road trip of the fall season.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Henry looked a little shaky this game, especially on the play where he was given a yellow. I also noticed he likes to avoid catching the ball at its highest point and waits to caress it in his hands, this habit has caused a few scares.

Couldn't agree more...he doesn't exude confidence on the high balls like he should. Result was never in doubt but that was more due to Halifax's lack of being a threat in any way. Was so happy when Forge subbed off #4 Samuel...he is absolutely horrible...he may be somewhat athletic but other than that he is our worst defender...by a mile. He can't even be trusted to make a simple pass forward out of the back line. Also...can someone explain Frano's lack of playing time...has he been injured or is he just on the coaches shitlist? He was good when he came on in the second half. Bekker and the Swede were ok but made a few more errant passes this game than we're used to from them. Borges was excellent again and I predict he will be sold in the off season...not to MLS but somewhere in Europe. He oozes skill but is also a little shit-disturber...his yellow was fully warranted. He needs to watch out...some refs will not be as forgiving with some of his antics. Speaking of refs...thought this one had a good grasp of the game...definitely missed a few calls but that was mostly due to his positioning. He can't be everywhere at once so his missed calls are quite forgivable. Nice to have good weather for a change too...all around a very pleasant evening.

A great evening down at THF, that was the nicest game day weather we have had even though there was a threat of more thunderstorms, it was nice to see a good contingent of HFX supporters there! Henry and the rest of the backline scare me at times, if we could finish chances we create these games wouldn't be as close and the defending/keeper issues wouldn't be an issue! Borges again was quite good and stood out as the best player on the pitch by a mile, I hope we can keep him to see out the season and entertain us further!

https://www.soccerway.com/matches/2019/07/18/canada/canadian-premier-league/forge/hfx-wanderers/2991861/

^^^The goalie should always save those, if you start off far enough back in your goal. Suspect the Forge have watched tape and have noticed that he doesn't. Usual comment on the active sections not being full enough to fit the announced number but the crowd still looks encouraging and way better than Steelers games back in the day.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Not much to say about this one. Baffled by Bona, Schaale, John and Perea on the bench so early in the season in a key game. 

We we not good enough in pretty well any regard. Tough to say where we go from here. We needed to at least split those points and it wasn't even close. 

Just no where near good enough. If we turn the road play around soon our season will be done after the first road trip of the fall season.

Well DM Simmons looked like he came off injured v Fury after a long run of games and has been out since. Langwa clearly in the dog house after the incident at end of the Fury game, so hopefully he will appear again soon. Schaale and Bona only human and probably absolutely physically shattered after relentless playing and traveling schedule so probably needed a rest before they hit injured. John is a mystery granted, but has looked out of sorts for quite some time now. 

Perea probably being managed having just returned from a long injury.

schaale and Simmons make a huge difference to the equilibrium of the team when both playing. 

Just watching the game now - sitting on an island in the Maldives on my honeymoon haha. 

At this point I can comfortably say that I'm just not comfortable with HFX's depth. When I saw the line up I'm disappointed to say that my first thought was 'we probably lost'. I was right. Garcia should be playing on the wing - he doesn't play the No. 9 role as well as Perea. Skublak is even a bit better in that spot. Neither Guti nor Iida are good on the wing IMO. They are both attacking mids and shouldnt be on at the same time. There is a notable quality drop in the midfield when we replace John or Simmons. De Carolis is no Langwa. N'sa is a CB. Schaale was missed. 

I honestly think our Starting XI could hang with any 11 in the league, but we have no seen the full group play together yet. We have had so much squad rotation between injuries and schedule that we have not developed the needed chemistry. Plus, we have relied more on our depth than I think we should be. 

The Fall season is still reachable but honestly I just want Halifax to stabilize at this point. Learn to play away and let our top players play together. 

39 minutes ago, Copes said:

Just watching the game now - sitting on an island in the Maldives on my honeymoon haha. 

At this point I can comfortably say that I'm just not comfortable with HFX's depth. When I saw the line up I'm disappointed to say that my first thought was 'we probably lost'. I was right. Garcia should be playing on the wing - he doesn't play the No. 9 role as well as Perea. Skublak is even a bit better in that spot. Neither Guti nor Iida are good on the wing IMO. They are both attacking mids and shouldnt be on at the same time. There is a notable quality drop in the midfield when we replace John or Simmons. De Carolis is no Langwa. N'sa is a CB. Schaale was missed. 

I honestly think our Starting XI could hang with any 11 in the league, but we have no seen the full group play together yet. We have had so much squad rotation between injuries and schedule that we have not developed the needed chemistry. Plus, we have relied more on our depth than I think we should be. 

The Fall season is still reachable but honestly I just want Halifax to stabilize at this point. Learn to play away and let our top players play together. 

Perea was excellent in the Peruvian league and from the bits he’s played at Halifax, I still stand by that he’s the best forward in the league and one of the best players.

I don’t rate that Hart one bit however. I think he’s holding you back.

1 hour ago, Copes said:

That's hardcore, you must have an understanding bride! Congratulations!

I dunno last nights lineup just lingers with me. With such a critical early season match up Bona and Schaale have to play unless they are half dead..... also Perea has to be in unless he is 100% incapable of it. I am really just baffled by fielding such a lineup for such a crucial game. 

Starting Scott Firth when Elton John is ready to go? I just dunno. 

It almost smacks of a team trying out combos cause they feel they cant win and it is only 3 games into the fall season. Of course im on the outside looking in - but it is just leaves a really bad taste.

4 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I dunno last nights lineup just lingers with me. With such a critical early season match up Bona and Schaale have to play unless they are half dead..... also Perea has to be in unless he is 100% incapable of it. I am really just baffled by fielding such a lineup for such a crucial game. 

Starting Scott Firth when Elton John is ready to go? I just dunno. 

It almost smacks of a team trying out combos cause they feel they cant win and it is only 3 games into the fall season. Of course im on the outside looking in - but it is just leaves a really bad taste.

Nah I kind of agree. I was rattled with how long it took Hart to "settle" during the Spring season. I feel like some of our early losses then were do to experimentation. I think at this point we should be playing our starters. I want to see a very competitive lineup against Pacific or else.

17 hours ago, Copes said:

Yeah playing Firth over a fit again John is a mystery given Simmons is out injured. I just think a lot of these players like Lida Garcia schaale bona Kourouma are clearly fatigued and that’s when pulls and strains occur.