about those open tryouts......

Rocket Robin

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek Gaudet is a name that should still be remembered by hardcore TFC fans:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Gaudet

Definitely jumped out of the page where that list was concerned for me. Think his presence shows that these tryouts are being used by players you could reasonably expect them to already be very much aware of and to have actively scouted while playing at an elite amateur level over the summer.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

These tryouts and the reporting on them is fantastic, I love these posts. We are becoming aware of an entire new pool, which is excellent. And the work in evaluation is being done by the CPL as a collective entity, also a very smart and encouraging sign. 

I was pretty cynical about what I thought the results would be, but this all seems far more positive.

L1O game Saturday night had Unionville Milliken facing North Mississauga.  

Daniel Whyte made the CPL cut in Halifax but wasn't on tonight's NMP lineup.  

Kiril Dimitrov made the cut as well and played 80 minutes for Unionville and had an assist on the only goal of the game.  It wouldn't surprise me if he played/coached his CSL Scarborough SC side tomorrow night.  It is a road game though so our paths won't cross as I expect I'll be at Birchmount late afternoon for the Toronto Skillz vs FC London match (FCL could clinch first place with a win).  

I didn't get a chance to congratulate the two of them and neither the Rahman brothers from Pro Stars...all those teams finished their final game of the season tonight.  Only Unionville made the playoffs and by squeezing in to the last or second last spot they will play all their three playoff group games on the road.  

Also Wikipedia lists Dimitrov as age 37 while L1O game sheets list 1985 and the UM owner/manager says he's 33.  

Now I'm thinking just wait until the trials hit Hamilton and Toronto for more L1O players to make the cut.  

I'm still hearing from various team officials right down to a PA announcer that there's been pre-scouting and some of the L1O players will be invited directly to training camps.  The Halifax trials though showed me that if you're not the first to third best player on your team or play for one of the lower ranked L1O teams it can be a free for all.  

The Montreal trials.  Into the second day.  

I notice Basel Rashrash from Unionville-Milliken.  Quite a coup if he makes it joining Kiril Dimitrov from successful Halifax trials.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o150.htm

How many players from League 1 Ontario will get through when the trials get to Hamilton and Toronto?  

Why does the league have to chase Irish and Ivory Coast trialists for their stories?  Do their struggles beat Canadians?  

8 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Why does the league have to chase Irish and Ivory Coast trialists for their stories?  Do their struggles beat Canadians?  

Their struggles certainly don't beat Canadians. Canadians are the reason that the league is starting in the first place.

I for one do find it interesting to hear about guys that are coming from far away for these tryouts and am curious about what their expectations and motivations are

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The windbreaker, and it would seem the other gear branded for #GotGame, is by Macron. Was this also the case in Halifax and why did not anyone see it?

It was the case and someone posted a picture of Kurt Larson in the gear in one of the threads before. That happened before any of the pics with the coaches in them.

I was just looking at who passed to the second day of tryouts in Hamilton. (58)  I thought there'd be more L1O guys.  

def Kyle Walton, mid Justin Stoddart and Christian Samaniego, and forward Daniel Jodah

all from Sigma!  hmm and Bobby S has been in charge for how many days?  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o135.htm

Here's a game report from earlier this summer where they were all on the Sigma lineup and Kiril Dimitrov from Unionville Milliken (and the CSL Scarborough FC) who passed the Halifax tryouts. 

Atif (Hamud) Ali  defender for Sanjaxx Lions (and the CSL Scarborough FC)  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o136.htm

Jared St Thomas goalie for OSUF (Ottawa)  

I also see the name of defender Daniel Whyte.  He is from North Mississauga SC but I read that he passed the Halifax tryouts so why would he try again?   Even Paula Abdul wouldn't do that! ?

33 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Part of each foot are on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline 

No foot foul there

Hmm, I always thought you can't have any part of your foot on the field. Looks like you are right though.

Does anybody know if this is a rule that somewhere along the line changed in the last 25 years or so?

Archived