about those open tryouts......

Rocket Robin

I didn't really want to start a seperate topic but I lost track of which one was talking about the open tryouts for the CPL.

I was at two L1O games today at the Hershey Centre and was trying to piece some info together about if L1O players were going to have to go through the Open tryouts with a thousand players like pub leaguers and newspaper reporters (like happened at the TFC tryouts in the Fall of 2006--which was more of a publicity stunt).  The winner of that tryout's younger brother plays for Sigma FC.  

Between games I tried to ask who knows what with officials.  Best would have been Bobby Smymiotis the head coach of Sigma who I've talked to at the beginning of last season about why his team has so many 'overage' players and the answer was they were hanging around for the new Canadian league.  His brother is a well known player agent.  Unfortunately he wasn't here today and other Sigma folks didn't know much about the method.  

Ilya Orlov, the head coach of Alliance United said the L1O players have already been scouted and none are expected to be at these Open tryouts.  

Duncan Wilde didn't know but they thinks they won't be contacting L1O players until after the playoffs.  Ontario trials are October 11th and 12th.  

Hmm.  I'm thinking things would be awkward if a player hasn't been contacted/scouted or doesn't know if they've been scouted.  If the scouting was done in secret, does a player who is say the third highest scorer on his team panic and pay for the tryout?  

None of them admitted to me that any of their players has been contacted...Maybe that's true or did the CPL scouts tell them "Don't tell anyone"?  

Because none of us know the salary cap and the allocation of players to teams what if an Ontario player got an offer from Halifax for $????? vs half that amount with revised figures and said "What?  I just got married!  Maybe if it was in Hamilton or York 9 I'd play for $?????".  

I expect I'll be at another doubleheader tomorrow (well what I call a doubleheader--OK the games are at two different stadiums) but don't expect much because all four are not expected to qualify for the playoffs so I wouldn't expect any of them to be up to the CPL calibre I was expecting.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who has ever been around such a thing knows that if they just do pick-up games, you learn nothing. You could have Rashford there but if no one can get a ball into space he just looks like a lanky kid. You could have a short technical mid like Modric but if there is no coaching in the scrimmage and they are on top of each other and there is no positional play, you would not see it. For me, it is a bit useless, which is why I'd like to know what guarantees they are offering by doing this. Otherwise, it's a circus and not at all useful. 

You need to train together, in small groups and someone has to be doing the drills, and another scouting them. That is a lot of manpower. But if anyone has gone, or sees one, let us knwo what sort of things they do. 

26 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Hmmm, 1000 trialists for 200 spaces? If only 1 in 5 have a chance, that will be interesting to see what talent is out there in the Top 20% of the player base.

These open tryouts aren't going to be the only way teams sign players. I would suspect the number that get signed to be a lot closer to 2 than 200 out of these tryouts.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

These open tryouts aren't going to be the only way teams sign players. I would suspect the number that get signed to be a lot closer to 2 than 200 out of these tryouts.

So 2 players while netting $200,000.

Probably the best business model the CPL will ever have....JOKING.

3 hours ago, Initial B said:

Hmmm, 1000 trialists for 200 spaces? If only 1 in 5 have a chance, that will be interesting to see what talent is out there in the Top 20% of the player base.

There's 200 spaces per open tryout, so 1400 spots in total. The number of open trialists invited to clubs' training camps is purely up to the coaches' discretion.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:16 AM, Initial B said:

I was thinking there 8 teams with a 25 player roster each, hence the 200 spaces available on CPL clubs. Unless it's only going to be 175 spaces now...

Almost none of these people are likely to be signed by a team.  I will be shocked if it is more than a couple unless some actual lower division pros are showing up from outside the country. 

3 hours ago, admin said:

Almost none of these people are likely to be signed by a team.  I will be shocked if it is more than a couple unless some actual lower division pros are showing up from outside the country. 

I feel you'll see more than a couple invited to camps, as the league had promised, but yeah likewise I'll be shocked if more than a couple actually make a squad.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Would be shocked if there is any one of note in terms of experience. Players with credentials would have already been tapped up or fast tracked if the league new they were interested. 

Doesn't mean the club's won't find some rough diamonds here though. You never know.. 

That would make sense, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of name players 'turn up' for the trials as a way for the league to generate media interest. For example, say Chiumento has expressed interest in the league, and the league has told him, "you're in, but help us out by showing up to the trials for a bit of publicity."

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

That would make sense, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of name players 'turn up' for the trials as a way for the league to generate media interest. For example, say Chiumento has expressed interest in the league, and the league has told him, "you're in, but help us out by showing up to the trials for a bit of publicity."

That would be cool and smart!

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Interesting to see Dylan Andrade, a Honduran youth international on there. I would imagine its someone like him that could have a one up on others.

Edit: Just saw a guy named Micah Wohlgeschaffen on there. He and Eberechi Okwuwolu get best name honours lol

17 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

Interesting to see Dylan Andrade, a Honduran youth international on there. I would imagine its someone like him that could have a one up on others.

Edit: Just saw a guy named Micah Wohlgeschaffen on there. He and Eberechi Okwuwolu get best name honours lol

The Dylan Andrade at the trials is not the Honduran international but rather a Winnipeg player who is there with his brother Kyle. Their father, Victor " chico " Andrade played for the Winnipeg Fury in the late 80's .

IMG_0757.JPG

1 minute ago, charlesmazz said:

The Dylan Andrade at the trials is not the Honduran international but rather a Winnipeg player who is there with his brother Kyle. Their father, Victor " chico " Andrade played for the Winnipeg Fury in the late 80's .

IMG_0757.JPG

Ah well, the article lied haha

14 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Didn't expect to see a guy I've played against in the MSMSL (local amateur league) a few years ago make it past the first day of trials. There are a few others from that league that moved on as well. Having said that, none of them should be playing there - far too good.

I just saw a treat linking the finalists in the tryouts in Halifax to play in 11 v 11 games.  

http://canpl.ca/video/making-the-cut-list-of-trialists-in-halifax-to-advance-to-day-2-of-the-open-trials

I recognize brothers Navid and Adel Rahman from Pro Stars FC.  They have played for Komarro in the Slovakian 2nd tier then Achilles'29 of the Dutch 4th tier.  They were back for Pro Stars earlier this season to renew their Canadian passports to I believe try out for the Pakistani national team.   

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o117.htm

Also forward Kiril Dimitrov who this year has seen spot duty for Unionville-Milliken.  (He's also player/manager for Scarborough SC of the outlawed CSL...also years with Serbian White Eagles).  Only problem is I believe he's 37.    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o135.htm

Not bad for League 1 Ontario players....wait until the tryouts actually hit Ontario!  

…..

also just noticed defender Daniel Whyte plays for North Mississauga Panthers  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o043.htm

Also watched this on James Cordon's talk show a few weeks ago:   https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8473796/late-late-show-paula-abdul-laker-girl-tryout-straight-up-performance-watch    the story of how she was cut without getting to dance, went to the bathroom and changed outfits, came back and made the squad.  

Archived