about those open tryouts......

Rocket Robin

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anybody know if Elijah Larin is related to Cyle? A quick google search shows me that he is/was with Sigma as well. Seems likely that they are brothers but I don't know for sure.

Yes he is, on the CPL website they highlighted him as one to watch on day two.

So here's an early player rumour from me. Son Yong Chan, a Korean player with a career spent in Asian mid-tier leagues (Singapore) and semi-pro (Philippines + 2nd div India) excelled once again in day 2 of the trials. He was head and shoulders above everyone else, in terms of composure, communication (though he was a lot less vocal day 2, I wonder if coaches told him to stop influencing others), fitness .. but also the little things like shaking hands with all the coaches, thanking the physios. Well, I overheard a CPL staffer saying "congrats on the offer" to him and he also had an extended chat with Jim Brennan.

I thought he was excellent, though I do wonder with that resume, whether it says something about the trials. It could also just be the difference between older players and the mostly young teenagers that participated in the trials.

The trials was also a lot of fun since I had someone to cheer for, as I befriended one of the trialist's (Carter Osborne) father who was beaming as his son made the final cut. Son played for Durham, and it makes sense that this would be a good opportunity for Durham players (4 made the 2nd day cut) since I presume they are less well scouted after pulling out of L1O last year. 

Finally, I overheard a British trialist asking his father whether he could survive off 50k in Canada, and Halifax in particular. I hope there is more substance behind that question, as we'd be back at looking at a cap upwards of $1.2m.

Other interesting tidbits:

-Wade, Dominica striker, set to play against Canada on Tuesday made the final cut

-I heard that there was an Eritrean national team player at the trials, but haven't been able to figure out who

-Was curious at what looked like a 13 year old at the trials, but turns out it was Trystn Lee. The father mentioned it was his son's teammate. His diminutive size (I think he's shorter than Plata) stood at initially, but apparently he's a body builder with quite the following (https://www.instagram.com/tristynleeofficial/?hl=en). Would be pretty interesting to have an Akinfewa counterpoint play in Canada. 

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

my report from what I saw on the second day of the CPL trials in Vaughan.

I've got pictures of both days in my reports.
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/CPLF1011 first day

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/CPLF1012 second day

How'd Trystin Lee do btw? I am curious since it's not usual you have someone that small, yet also built (he's a body builder) - especially not as a footballer. I missed his games on both days unfortunately. But someone I spoke to said he's decent in the Durham academy.

From the Winnipeg trials only L1O guy I recognize is defender Shiquan Lowe who plays for Vaughan Azzurri and played the full 90 minutes in all their playoff games including last weekend.   

Playing Thursday and making the cut, means he has to play Friday.  With what I saw at the Vaughan trials, with the 8 v 8s and the full sided games even with some 30 minute halfs, it works out to minimum two full games in two days.   

The L1O final in Vaughan is tomorrow afternoon at 3:00pm.    

Shiquan Lowe passed the second day of trials yesterday and was on the roster for today's L1O Championship game for his Vaughan Azzurri Saturday afternoon when they beat Woodbridge Strikers 2-0.  He was an unused substitution.  

Vaughan guarantees the L1O spot in next year's Voyageurs Cup.   

I noticed that the list for the trialists that made the cut for the second day in Calgary has been released. It lists their names and position but it doesn't say where they are from. Is there any way to see where they are from?  I just want to see if any of them are from Saskatchewan.

5 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

I noticed that the list for the trialists that made the cut for the second day in Calgary has been released. It lists their names and position but it doesn't say where they are from. Is there any way to see where they are from?  I just want to see if any of them are from Saskatchewan.

Jared Ursulan is from Regina and I see he made day 2. 

15 hours ago, Symp_Res said:

I was curious about this as well. I didn't recognize any of the names (although tbf I wouldn't have recognized Jared Ursulan), and no one I know that I thought might be a good enough level had indicated they were going.

It is a bit interesting to think about. I was musing with Rob about this the other day, actually. Take the Huskies/Revolution players, for example. These guys are certainly some of the top players in Saskatchewan, but would any of them (have to) go to the open tryouts? They're not that hard to scout. Heck, a guy like Mitch Bauche even played for the Foothills under Tommy Wheeldon.

I'll be very interested to see if any of the very top Sask guys get invited to a camp (e.g. Farahani, Bauche, Peters) or what happens to a guy like Nik Baikas in the draft.

16 hours ago, Symp_Res said:

Just shared this list with some friends, and they pointed out two names to me:

Jean-Marie Perrault and Dallas Stern, both from Saskatoon

Perrault played for the Revolution team that won provincials this year and played for HUSA Alumni in the past. Stern played for HUSA previously as well. Both have played for Hub City in Saskatoon men's league.

9 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Perrault played for the Revolution team that won provincials this year and played for HUSA Alumni in the past. Stern played for HUSA previously as well. Both have played for Hub City in Saskatoon men's league.

Thanks.  I would never recognize the names or even who to look for.  I'm just interested to see how some of the Sask players stack up against everyone else.  Good luck to them all.

3 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

Thanks.  I would never recognize the names or even who to look for.  I'm just interested to see how some of the Sask players stack up against everyone else.  Good luck to them all.

Same here. My understanding with these players is that they are some of the top Sask players, but not in the top tier of the guys I mentioned in my first post. My friend couldn't comment on Ursulan.

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

That’s good to know. Glad to see some Saskies there. 

Archived