Sack the CSA

jpg75

This thread is for the sole purpose of shit ting on the CSA for the crap ass job they've been doing for the past 25-30 years.

Mont Vic seems to be the only competent person to run that org. for god knows how long and the second he's gone it's back to the Brit old boys cronyism.

Now we've fired a reasonably competent coach who was never afforded a chance to prove himself for a guy who has never coached a Men's professional club and whose CV includes a few seasons in the Sunderland academy and the New Zealand and Canadian women's team.

The CSA reforms were supposed to lead to a more professionally run organization with members appointed for their expertise and free of the contradictory influence of the provinces. Now it looks like we have the most amateur leadership we've had in decades. It's time to Sack the CSA. It's time to SACK STEVEN REED!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

This thread is for the sole purpose of shit ting on the CSA for the crap ass job they've been doing for the past 25-30 years.

Mont Vic seems to be the only competent person to run that org. for god knows how long and the second he's gone it's back to the Brit old boys cronyism.

Now we've fired a reasonably competent coach who was never afforded a chance to prove himself for a guy who has never coached a Men's professional club and whose CV includes a few seasons in the Sunderland academy and the New Zealand and Canadian women's team.

The CSA reforms were supposed to lead to a more professionally run organization with members appointed for their expertise and free of the contradictory influence of the provinces. Now it looks like we have the most amateur leadership we've had in decades. It's time to Sack the CSA. It's time to SACK STEVEN REED!

I think we need to give Herdman and Reed a chance and see how they do but for the most part I agree with what you have posted. The CSA was badly run for years but seemed to be much better run under Mont Vic and appears to be regressing to its old ways. We need to give them a chance to prove us wrong but if things go south Reed and the rest of the CSA board needs to fall on their swords and we need to mount a massive campaign to reform how the organization is run.

Just now, Grizzly said:

I think we need to give Herdman and Reed a chance

My thoughts. I think they have given themselves enough rope. 

This is a completely radical step, inspired maybe, scary definitely. If this appointment backfires I hope they know and expect they are rightfully in the firing line and Reed and whomever else accountable for the firing/hiring should be out the door. 

I am a lot less long in the tooth than some that have lived through the incompetence decades longer though.

Yeah, much as I still love wearing my old "Sack the CSA" shirt for conversational purposes, it has been several years since I could actually support that sentiment. Are they perfect? No. Are they doing everything I think they canto get us to the World Cup? No. Do I realistically they should all be fired? Again, no.

And while I kinda liked Oz, I remember asking why they didn't hire Herdman in the first place. 

41 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Yeah, I'm going to vote against "inspired"!

We were going well under OZ.

Edit: The "i" word I would choose is "incomprehensible". Why do we not know why this happened?

Well i get the sentiment but suck it up and loathe every minute of what's to come we will have to see how it turns out. I think you could through have the adjectives in the dictionary out for that appointment. Still until it is it could be anything. 

Sometimes club's and football situations work out and are the right fit where obvious choices fail miserably. Not commending or defending the decisions and manner of the appointment but while we could all bank our own pretty safe answer it's a bit of an unknown what he might end up bringing or doing with the program. 

Some of the threads on here will make some fun re-reading in a year or two either way. 

Who exactly is going to hold the CSA/Reed accountable for this decision or any other?  It's a great sentiment but if the CSA can get away with making a firing/hiring like this without any sort of an explanation, then they clearly don't have to answer to anyone, and can make any decision that they please for any or no reason at all. 

9 hours ago, honestseveran said:

Do players like Davies and Tabla come through the system 5-10 years ago? I would say no. Lots to do but there is improvement.

But how much of that is the CSA and how much is MLS/USL?

My biggest complaint as of right now is that they haven't been publicly vocal about the Canadians as "domestics" in MLS. They seem shy and look like poor negotiators.

My biggest complaint is that we haven't progressed at all (visibly, from the outside) beyond the amateurism and cronyism that has always dogged the sport. CSA seems to put their self preservation ahead of the good of the game. Censor me if you want - it's a private forum - but they continue to be a circus and Herdman is definitely the clown.

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

And on the topic of negotiating skills, the last two times we were in a WCQ group with Hondurass, they got the massive advantage of playing the second match against us at home. The CSA would do well to hark back to the one time we qualified, where the clincher was against Honduras -- at home.

theyve had the last home match 4 times in a row (2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016)

11 hours ago, honestseveran said:

Do players like Davies and Tabla come through the system 5-10 years ago? I would say no. Lots to do but there is improvement.

I am not on the sack the CSA train (though I would still like to hear a reason for firing Zambrano) but 5 years ago we were in the U17 World Cupfor the second time in a row, and 10 years ago (well 2007) we were in the U20 World Cup. Sure we automatically qualified that year and finished dead last, but we were in the previous 3 U20 World Cups too. So it’s tough for me to see improvement so far.

On 2018/01/27 at 5:11 PM, honestseveran said:

That's thanks to MLS academies rather than CSA NTCs, so don't think the CSA deserve credit on that given the national progams are reaping some benefits of investments made by MLS on developing homegrown players. The CSA have largely lost their role in that sort of area on the male side of things now that most of the youth national team rosters are coming from the academies. The main concern on here has to be how they are handling the CMNT and the Herdman appointment is something that I don't think would have happened in any other country. That means they are either being highly visionary or totally clueless basically. It has the potential to really blow up in their faces over the next few months, if the players that get called up don't buy into it. 

I’m loving this thread, but honestly there should be realistic ways of sacking thr CSA.  I think the Federal and provincial bodies need re-organization.  Its been broken for the past 30 years almost as we’ve been regressing since we last made the World Cup.  I’m curious to hear some ways of trying to better ourselves.  I’m also curious to hear what Zambrano’s “Manifesto” if you call it entailed?? Thought some whispers stated that the thought we need to refix the provincial and some federal bodies to improve here.  Hope Zambrano releases his ideas of what he had planned.

Questionable and at the least debatable. Pellerud has more tournament results and has gone farther in the World Cup.

But that's splitting straws and a valid point nonetheless.

I think the big difference is Pellerud wasn't a self-promoter.

16 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's thanks to MLS academies rather than CSA NTCs, so don't think the CSA deserve credit on that given the national progams are reaping some benefits of investments made by MLS on developing homegrown players. The CSA have largely lost their role in that sort of area on the male side of things now that most of the youth national team rosters are coming from the academies. The main concern on here has to be how they are handling the CMNT and the Herdman appointment is something that I don't think would have happened in any other country. That means they are either being highly visionary or totally clueless basically. It has the potential to really blow up in their faces over the next few months, if the players that get called up don't buy into it. 

Well no, I don't think player development happens in a vacuum and that it's a lot more complicated. E.g. Alphonso Davies only arrived at Vancouver in 2015 and was already competing in USL. So for all the whining about the CSA's involvement with clubs and grassroots may not be true? All they required was a pathway to the pros and a professional environment? I don't think that's true either. The proof is in the pudding though that we have exciting prospects that came through the system. And in any case, the CSA has addressed  further pro options with the CPL.

14 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Ironic considering Tabla will likely not play for Canada.

Irrelevant.

Archived