Sack the CSA

jpg75

13 hours ago, Vic said:

Questionable and at the least debatable. Pellerud has more tournament results and has gone farther in the World Cup.

Did he get a number four or five ranking?  Did he get an Olympic medal or two, when the Olympics are seen on the same level as the WC?

Were you defending Pellerud at the time, like I was, for playing effective results oriented soccer when 98% of people here hated the style regardless of the results.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of the smaller pool the Olympics are an easier result than the World Cup. You can run the gauntlet easier. But it usually is where you run into the US or Germany, because when you do your cup usually runneth over. So a fair element of fate to it as opposed to purely meritorious determination.

Rankings don't mean much. The Danish and Dutch women and the American men are good cases in point. You can game the rankings if you're so inclined. Some people do, others could care less. It's not an actual competition.

Pellerud also setup a lot of our existing systems. There's a healthy argument for each. 

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

How is that irrelevant? 

I think his point was that we are starting to develop good players in Canada. We have possibly lost this one but if we can produce more and more players of a high caliber than we are headed in the right direction and we won’t lose them all.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:12 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Well, if he's a clown then he's Emmett Kelly because he's had more success than any manager, men's or women's NT

The reference was entirely not personal - CSA is a circus so whoever that trot out is playing the part of the clown. That I do not feel Herdman remotely qualified just makes the analogy all the more appropriate.

We will agree to disagree with his qualifications @Joe MacCarthy, no need to rehash the pages of debate from the other thread. Just to add, I hope you're right and he becomes the most successful male manager in our history!

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I think his point was that we are starting to develop good players in Canada. We have possibly lost this one but if we can produce more and more players of a high caliber than we are headed in the right direction and we won’t lose them all.

Ok, but my point was that doesn't really matter if the CMNT is still crap and the CSA a shit show. Our best young prospects choosing other countries will continue, regardless of 'how many' there are.

9 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

So how many of the geezers on here that have all the answers are going make a run for the CSA board and put their money where their mouth is to help football in this country? 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-looking-for-candidates-to-serve-on-the-board-of-directors-starting-may-2018-p161369

Too much of a pay cut for me. Maybe Robert might be interested?

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

The Vs should have a permanent rep on the CSA board.

Well... for the most part they do the endlessly boring necessary stuff that is required to run a large national organization and would probably be worse than solitary confinement for most people here.  

And if you ever get an offer to do it, I would be weary, it's probably a trap.   You'll arrive and there will be plastic on the floor.

Anyone who doesn't see getting rid of the CSA in it's current form is suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Under no possible measurement has this been successful. It hasn't worked. I too thought real change was upon us when I listened to Montagliani speak to the media about the future of Canadian soccer. It's about time that Canada Soccer is taken to task over decades of incompetence. As a former player and coach in Canada I have been hearing the buzz words "development" and "grassroots"etc. since the 80's. They write studies and throw blame around to unqualified coaches and untalented players. Never once has anyone truly looked at how the executive does their business and why they are such a colossal failure at it. For that matter, has there ever been any real studies on how other countries with similar budgets become successful at making competent decisions from the top?

I'm actually kind of surprised that I care so much about this. I haven't lived in Canada for twenty years. When I saw the hire of Herdman I thought it was some kind of joke. Then I watched from afar as tidbits of information came out. Then it abruptly stopped. The CSA didn't hold a news conference to introduce their new coaches and didn't give any interviews. They clammed up completely and are using the "It will blow over" tactic. When something in a governement appears to just be pushed through without any oversight or transparency the reasons behind such a move are almost always money and power. That's a hard thing to explain to us minions at a press conference. We're not "qualified" and we wouldn't understand.

There is one former player that I have watched in this situation to see how they reacted. Craig Forests tweet after it occurred speaks volumes and was almost the exact reaction I had. I later watched an interview where he talked about the lack of transparency and that it appeared to be the same thing that's been going on his whole lifetime in Canadian Soccer. The look of frustration on his face was evident. It's really hard to care about a sport in your country when it appears the organization in charge has little interest in putting their best foot forward for their current and former players.

Let's make this clear. Alphonso Davies is not a product of the great CSA development team. Along with incredible natural ability and maturity he is a poster boy for what happens when there are professional clubs in your country scouting for young, available, cheap talent. If the CPL has any modicum of success you will see similar stories in the future. I, for one, do not want this CSA taking credit for some amazing development plan when it comes down to the natural occurrence when you have business' acting in their own self interest to develop talent for their teams in order to turn a profit. I fear that the time for making real change in the CSA is running out because the Pro teams will initially gloss over their failures. Much as we saw south of the border.

Not only am I for a complete overhaul of the CSA, I'm surprised it took so long to become a topic on these boards since this whole mess started three weeks ago. I'd also like to add how much I enjoy this site and how it allows me to keep in touch with the game in Canada. It was a big part of my childhood. Take care.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

So, you are not allowed to have an opinion unless you are qualified to sit on the CSA board?!

Lots of fans who are not qualified to be a football manager sing "sacked in the morning". They do not need to be qualified to manage a football team to know their manager is poor, they just need to look at the league table!

that's a bit of a leap there, eh? opinions are of course fine as expressing them is one of principal reasons board like this exist. just saying that someone on here has a genuine desire to benefit governance of the game in this country and a skill set appropriate for board level work then here is a potential opportunity to do so. Pretty basic.  Otherwise we are just of bunch of grumpy old muppets. Just like people who jump up and down about government policy but can't be bothered to vote on election day. 

1 hour ago, tellytubby said:

Not only am I for a complete overhaul of the CSA, I'm surprised it took so long to become a topic on these boards since this whole mess started three weeks ago. I'd also like to add how much I enjoy this site and how it allows me to keep in touch with the game in Canada. It was a big part of my childhood. Take care.

Definitely not a new topic on this board. :)

On 1/28/2018 at 6:00 PM, nolbertos said:

I’m loving this thread, but honestly there should be realistic ways of sacking thr CSA.  I think the Federal and provincial bodies need re-organization.  Its been broken for the past 30 years almost as we’ve been regressing since we last made the World Cup.  I’m curious to hear some ways of trying to better ourselves.  I’m also curious to hear what Zambrano’s “Manifesto” if you call it entailed?? Thought some whispers stated that the thought we need to refix the provincial and some federal bodies to improve here.  Hope Zambrano releases his ideas of what he had planned.

everyoen should bother him on twitter to release 

On 1/30/2018 at 8:34 PM, soccer.shocker said:

So how many of the geezers on here that have all the answers are going make a run for the CSA board and put their money where their mouth is to help football in this country? 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-looking-for-candidates-to-serve-on-the-board-of-directors-starting-may-2018-p161369

The system is broken though.  Why would I apply to a broken system.  I’m calling for a full clean slate, not partial Old Boys Network.  There has. to be a hierarchical re-organization of the provincial and federal positions.  

Archived