hah hah USA Eliminated from WC

beachesl

Didn't care either way emotionally whether they qualified, but suspect indirectly it would have been the better outcome for Canada in the long run for the sort of reasons mentioned above by socceronly. Overall doubt it makes much difference to how things will be a decade from now. There are very few countries that don't miss out occasionally on this. The Dutch for example are usually more of a contender than the USMNT, but also failed to qualify this time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah the "Teal" curse on the USMNT is working. Must work on another voodoo doll, this one is all worn out.  :)

This was just the perfect storm. Wonderful stuff. As much as I love to watch Tim Howard I've been saying for years that he carried that team and they have nobody in the pipeline who can come close. He is definitely the best they've ever produced and would have never risen to the heights they did without him. 

1 hour ago, TRM said:

Ah the "Teal" curse on the USMNT is working. Must work on another voodoo doll, this one is all worn out.  :)

This was just the perfect storm. Wonderful stuff. As much as I love to watch Tim Howard I've been saying for years that he carried that team and they have nobody in the pipeline who can come close. He is definitely the best they've ever produced and would have never risen to the heights they did without him. 

There are many good american goal keepers.  Producing good goal keepers is one of the things they do well and have been doing well.  So its puzzling that they stuck with howard so long despite the fact that he wasnt all that sharp.  I was able to catch live on youtube their game versus Costa rica that was played in Redbull arena.  He was clearly to blame for being out of position on the first goal.  Brad Guzan has a good pedigree and is a good shot stopper,  there are others like Blake in Philly and Hamid (DCU). These are capable guys.

The sad part about them missing out this time is for what happens off the pitch with soccer in the US.    And by that i mean that in the US, like in canada, there are many people and entities that like to see soccer fail. Thats because of such things as:  eurosnobbery,  and/or the sport being seen foreign/ un american, and/or because soccer and it growth in popularity upsets the competive lanscape of and established order in the sports entertainment marketplace.   You even see examples of what i am talking about regularly in mainstream media even in these forums.  I cite as example, comming accross comments that compare MLS to european second divsions or lower.  Or, when you read people applauding a player like Petrasso’s & Careiro’s decision to leave the TFC academy (which offers everything you need as far as infrastructue and support) in favour of a crap outfit like QPR whose player devopment infrastructures is a shadow of what exists at TFC. 

These are just examples, but you can come accross this stuff almost on a daily basis.  

9 hours ago, ted said:

Actually I enjoyed his analysis and he is spot on in his criticism. :)

In the business world there is a saying that goes:   “Dont bring me problems,  bring me solutions”.   

The issue i have with that rant is that i didnt hear a single idea or solution.  And, as far as problems, i am not sure (unless i missed it) he articulated any or was in any way specific.

The good thing is that, at least,  it shows that someone is angry about missing out on the world cup.  Because, the alternative (ie.: appathy and indifference) would be far far worst of a problem.  

47 minutes ago, Free kick said:

There are many good american goal keepers.

Good yes, great? No. They have nobody close to the Tim Howard of 2003-2015. That is what you need. 

there are others like Blake in Philly

He plays for Jamaica

and Hamid (DCU). These are capable guys.

Capable yes but to win you need that someone special. The guy who just walks on water to give his team a chance. Nobody even close which bodes very poorly for the USA MNT. 

The coach went with a "safe" pick.

Interesting thing about that video is what wasn't mentioned: why are they soft? why are they arrogant?

IMHO some of these guys who should be competing at a higher level took a big payday to come back from Europe and effectively retire early in MLS. When you know your place in the team is secure and you'll hardly have any negative media challenging you, you can't help but get comfortable, and comfort breeds complacency, and complacency breeds softness. 

This isn't to bag on MLS; it's a fun league to watch and the standard has certainly gone up in recent years, but it is still a feeder league. 

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

This sums up a lot on why they failed to qualify

3:50 mark
-Most arrogant US team I've seen in 20 years

I think these talking heads are mostly upset that they won't get much overtime pay next summer and will have to cover the likes of Panama, Costa Rica, and their biggest rival, Mexico hahaha. 

Hislop was the only one that seemed to have an objective opinion. 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 10:54 PM, matty said:

j8mfulkk_1yzq04q_1f7l8cy (2).jpg

Was this something he really tweeted?

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 11:19 PM, shermanator said:

Michael Bradley, Arjen Robben, Alexis Sanchez and Gareth Bale walk into a bar.

They all sit down and watch the World Cup on TV.

image.jpeg.eaa190f6f055b0f1dc3ff2d29f2a5a23.jpeg

The man doesn't drink with inferiors. Maybe Sanchez could make a case to share a table....just maybe

17 hours ago, Free kick said:

There are many good american goal keepers.  Producing good goal keepers is one of the things they do well and have been doing well.  So its puzzling that they stuck with howard so long despite the fact that he wasnt all that sharp.  I was able to catch live on youtube their game versus Costa rica that was played in Redbull arena.  He was clearly to blame for being out of position on the first goal.  Brad Guzan has a good pedigree and is a good shot stopper,  there are others like Blake in Philly and Hamid (DCU). These are capable guys.

Capable, but not dominant.  They had to stick with Howard because those options scream depth and not starter.  Guzan's been iffy his whole career at the top level.  I'd agree with the decline in American goalkeeping comment.

Agree with this failure being fuel for more eurosnobbery though.  It felt nice to see them fail, maybe for five seconds, but then reality set in and the guilt of schadenfreude made way for genuine disappointment.

4 hours ago, Kurt-MTL said:

Interesting thing about that video is what wasn't mentioned: why are they soft? why are they arrogant?

IMHO some of these guys who should be competing at a higher level took a big payday to come back from Europe and effectively retire early in MLS. When you know your place in the team is secure and you'll hardly have any negative media challenging you, you can't help but get comfortable, and comfort breeds complacency, and complacency breeds softness. 

This isn't to bag on MLS; it's a fun league to watch and the standard has certainly gone up in recent years, but it is still a feeder league. 

Sure but still the US with many MLS players and Costa Rica have actually done pretty good in World Cups not only qualifying so many times in the past but once they are there have done pretty good with MLS players in the World Cup finals.

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

The man doesn't drink with inferiors. Maybe Sanchez could make a case to share a table....just maybe

4 hours ago, Macksam said:
  On 10/10/2017 at 9:19 PM, shermanator said:

Michael Bradley, Arjen Robben, Alexis Sanchez and Gareth Bale walk into a bar.

They all sit down and watch the World Cup on TV.

Robben immediately takes a dive to get more room at the table than the others  :)

Best comment I've heard in several world cups is "Robben at the slightest hint of a touch in the 18 goes to ground with facial expressions like Captain Jean-Luc Picard on a bad acid trip". 

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Sure but still the US with many MLS players and Costa Rica have actually done pretty good in World Cups not only qualifying so many times in the past but once they are there have done pretty good with MLS players in the World Cup finals.

And one phenomenal top 1/2 EPL keeper ... 

Screw The  Americans   time  for  us   to   continue  to   rebuild  our  program  now  in  year  31    We  need   more  clubs   with  Acdemies  for  our   youth   more  concentration     on  games  like  Futsal  were  a  guy  can  really  develop  his  skills   But  Ya   seeing  the  Americans  not  qualify   is  gold       

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Screw The  Americans   time  for  us   to   continue  to   rebuild  our  program  now  in  year  31    We  need   more  clubs   with  Acdemies  for  our   youth   more  concentration     on  games  like  Futsal  were  a  guy  can  really  develop  his  skills   But  Ya   seeing  the  Americans  not  qualify   is  gold       

Even more than that is the fact that this should inspire our players. The USA is not on par with Mexico and other regional heavyweights. They can be beaten by a determined group of players who won't quit, have a bit of luck go their way and can score one brilliant goal. Time for us to be that group!

1 hour ago, TRM said:

Even more than that is the fact that this should inspire our players. The USA is not on par with Mexico and other regional heavyweights. They can be beaten by a determined group of players who won't quit, have a bit of luck go their way and can score one brilliant goal. Time for us to be that group!

Sniff, sniff, (wiping eyes)...sounds like you are describing our 2000 Gold Cup team.  If we did it then, and Panama is doing now, why not us??  

Archived