How would you rank Canada in regards to the other CONCACAF teams?

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

They're terrible in Central America because(like us) they're not used to the heat.:rolleyes:

Is Jamaica that much colder

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

LOL

Hey.............................................................I got nothing

but to play along with this thread

1. Mexico/USA - they flip flop a lot
3. Costa Rica - can fuck up anyone
4. Panama - more consistent than others. just haven't reached the big one
5. Jamaica - back to back strong at the Gold Cup counters their WCQ showings
6. Honduras - CONCACAF's Jekyll and Hyde
7. Canada/TnT - the underperformers and the confusers
9. El Salvador - Gold Cup and pre-Hex regular
10. Cuba - the Caribbean's main dark horse
11. Curacao - the Caribbean's new team?
12. Guatemala - waiting in the wings for a comeback
13. Martinique - should be in FIFA
14. Nicaragua - cause why not
15. Saint Kitts and Nevis - someday we'll do something

1 hour ago, matty said:

Hey.............................................................I got nothing

but to play along with this thread

1. Mexico/USA - they flip flop a lot
3. Costa Rica - can fuck up anyone
4. Panama - more consistent than others. just haven't reached the big one
5. Jamaica - back to back strong at the Gold Cup counters their WCQ showings
6. Honduras - CONCACAF's Jekyll and Hyde
7. Canada/TnT - the underperformers and the confusers
9. El Salvador - Gold Cup and pre-Hex regular
10. Cuba - the Caribbean's main dark horse
11. Curacao - the Caribbean's new team?
12. Guatemala - waiting in the wings for a comeback
13. Martinique - should be in FIFA
14. Nicaragua - cause why not
15. Saint Kitts and Nevis - someday we'll do something

I think you forgot Haiti, who are at the very least better than Saint Kitts, and knocked Jamaica out of WC qualification last year with a 2-0 win in Jamaica against the Jamaican A team. 

They are currently the 4th best team in CONCACAF according to FIFA Rankings. I'd have them ahead of Cuba.

7 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I think you forgot Haiti, who are at the very least better than Saint Kitts, and knocked Jamaica out of WC qualification last year with a 2-0 win in Jamaica against the Jamaican A team. 

They are currently the 4th best team in CONCACAF according to FIFA Rankings. I'd have them ahead of Cuba.

I knew I forgot someone. I'd include them in 7th as an overunderachiever

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

But they didn't play in Central America in the Gold Cup.

We didn't play in Central America at the Gold Cup either

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't know where else to say this on the forums

CONCACAF WCQ Round 5 

US tied late against Honduras in San Pedro Sula: 1-1

Costa Rica plays at home VS Mexico with Keylor Navas in goal.

Hopefully Los Ticos Win 

Panama ?? faces Trinidad ?? 

As of right now this is what the standings look like 

It's coming down to the wire....

IMG_3540.PNG

• 1 year later...

I remember Herdman saying they could get ahead of Costa Rica 

Their National Team suffered a blow to their squad as after this cycle they had 6 key players retire or simply discard themselves personally or by the coach due to their age

For The Gold Cup next summer and League A this time around next fall will be interesting to see how they replace them. Currently they’re in the search 

This can only help us even more 

Costa Rica ?? After Russia World Cup 

GK - Patrick Pemberton (36yo) | Caps: 38 | Club: Alajuelense 

DF - Jonny Acosta (35yo) | Caps: 71 | Club: East Bengal

MF - Christian Bolaños (34yo) | Caps: 84 | Club: Saprissa

MF - Randall Azofeifa (33yo) | Caps: 58 | Club: Herediano

FW - Daniel Colindres (33yo) | Caps: 17 | Bashundhara Tigers 

Soon to Retire but hasn’t put a date on it: 

MF - Bryan Ruiz [C] (33yo) | Caps: 112 | Club: Santos 

They’re core is aging: 

GK - Keylor Navas (31yo), Esteban Alvarado (29yo)

DF - Cristian Gamboa (29yo), Giancarlo González (30yo), Oscar Duarte (29yo), Bryan Oviedo (28yo), Kendall Waston (30yo), José Salvatierra (29yo) and Francisco Calvo (26yo)

MF - *David Guzman (28yo) *Johan Venegas (29yo) Jeltsin Tejeda (26yo) Celso Borges (30yo) And Rodney Wallace (30yo)

FW - Joel Campbell (26yo) Marco Ureña (28yo)

*Soon to turn 29 and 30 in November and January*

Get this though, in their midfield and attacking they have no one else! They lack depth past the Starting XI, something that could affect them.

All unproven, with little to no experience and many many new faces,

I’d like to think we in the other hand have Depth where they don’t 

Los Ticos could be the oldest team in CONCACAF 

So once these players are gone they will be in trouble. Problem #2 is to have guys to pull up from the bench. Similar thing happening with Honduras, Panama

Costa Rica are aging but you're fooling yourself if you think they won't still be a force next cycle. They have solid depth throughout their lineup and a solid league that will surely develop capable replacements for the 2026 cycle.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:45 PM, jpg75 said:

Costa Rica are aging but you're fooling yourself if you think they won't still be a force next cycle. They have solid depth throughout their lineup and a solid league that will surely develop capable replacements for the 2026 cycle.

All I’m saying is that they have limited players to come on as substitutes after their Starting XI, You are right though all these players make it to the next cycle and their league will find them the replacements they need. Eitheir way they get the job done

On 10/7/2018 at 7:50 PM, canta15 said:

They’ll will definetely be a force next cycle

Also, 26 is not old

It’s not, but there’s only 3 players in their core that are 26, the rest are 28, 29, 30 and soon to be 31

Jump to 8:00 in the video 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/entertaining-world-cup-little-bit-everything/

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

FIFA Rankings released Today (As of October 25, 2018)

Top 10 CONCACAF 

I would say we’re a bit better than 8th in our region 

A2247A64-3DC9-4CA2-9526-489D0490D1DE.jpeg

Out of the 7 in front of us, who would you put behind us? An argument could probably be made for El Salvador, but that's about it I'd think off the top of my head.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

Out of the 7 in front of us, who would you put behind us? An argument could probably be made for El Salvador, but that's about it I'd think off the top of my head.

Tough to say until we play but on paper we’re no lower than 4th.  Panama, Jamaica and Honduras are right in our crosshairs. 

Yeah, until we make the hex, I think claims that we are better than our ranking are a bit hollow.

When all the countries in the region pull out all the stops and do everything they can to win, we have been demonstrably outside the top 6 for decades.  I suspect/hope that may change as we turn potential into reality, but for now it is hard to argue with the facts.

Frankly, 8th is quite accurate. We haven't beaten any of the teams ahead of us in years except for Jamaica, who've made the final of the last two Gold Cups. Even El Salvador beat us just last Fall.

Currently the CMNT has great potential, but in terms of actual results we simply haven't done anything to deserve a better ranking.

Agreed, really hard to argue with FIFA rankings this time.  Going back to 2011, TnT is the only team we have a winning record against (a win in our last game against them in 2011).  But they've been in the hex, we haven't, so subjectively you might make as strong a case that they deserve to be ahead of us, just as much as we should be above El Salvador (1W-2D-1L).  I ignored Curacao, as I do, unless I'm dreaming of a Caribbean holiday.

32 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Agreed, really hard to argue with FIFA rankings this time.  Going back to 2011, TnT is the only team we have a winning record against (a win in our last game against them in 2011).  But they've been in the hex, we haven't, so subjectively you might make as strong a case that they deserve to be ahead of us, just as much as we should be above El Salvador (1W-2D-1L).  I ignored Curacao, as I do, unless I'm dreaming of a Caribbean holiday.

We have a .500 record against Jamaica, El Salvador and Panama since 2011.  So we’re there and that was a dark period.  I think we can all agree we’re a different team now.. We looked promising against Honduras our last 3 matches with a .500 record and we played Costa Rica to a draw in our last two competitive fixtures.  So we’re there, we just need a push to separate ourselves.. all these teams are pretty close.

Archived